Next year...

This team is set up to do very well this season if we can find 2 big men. The talent level is the highest it has been in 30 years. We have 5 top 100 four star recruits, 1 top 150 player nearly a 4* and a couple of under rated guys waiting to breakout. There is no reason with this much talent we can't make the tournament... unless we fail to bring in a big man. That is enough to hold us back.

I agree....especially with your last paragraph. Compared to what we are used to seeing on the Nebraska team, this team has a LOT of talent.

Just need the final piece/pieces.

Really? So you're not trading the guys we have now for Erick Strickland, Jaron Boone, Mikki Moore, Terrance Badgett, Eric Piatkowski, Tyronn Lue, Alvin Mitchell, Venson Hamilton, Cookie Belcher, etc., etc., etc.???

Heck, even the 03-04 team of Dourisseau, Muhleisen, Conklin and Drevo would probably handle this team because they could go 6-11, 6-10, 6-9, 6-8.

The talent we have at the 1-3 spots is probably the best we've had in 20 years. But the overall talent is average at best.

You don't go 6-12 in the conference with the most talent you've had in 30 years. If that's true, Miles should absolutely be fired right now.

When I say " not used to seeing" doesn't mean we have never had talented teams.

Would you say the teams you listed are the norm here?

I admitted there are missing pieces that are holding them back.

You admitted its the best 1-3 in 20 years.

Sounds like we agree.

This team is set up to do very well this season if we can find 2 big men. The talent level is the highest it has been in 30 years. We have 5 top 100 four star recruits, 1 top 150 player nearly a 4* and a couple of under rated guys waiting to breakout. There is no reason with this much talent we can't make the tournament... unless we fail to bring in a big man. That is enough to hold us back.

I agree....especially with your last paragraph. Compared to what we are used to seeing on the Nebraska team, this team has a LOT of talent.

Just need the final piece/pieces.

Really? So you're not trading the guys we have now for Erick Strickland, Jaron Boone, Mikki Moore, Terrance Badgett, Eric Piatkowski, Tyronn Lue, Alvin Mitchell, Venson Hamilton, Cookie Belcher, etc., etc., etc.???

Heck, even the 03-04 team of Dourisseau, Muhleisen, Conklin and Drevo would probably handle this team because they could go 6-11, 6-10, 6-9, 6-8.

The talent we have at the 1-3 spots is probably the best we've had in 20 years. But the overall talent is average at best.

You don't go 6-12 in the conference with the most talent you've had in 30 years. If that's true, Miles should absolutely be fired right now.

When I say " not used to seeing" doesn't mean we have never had talented teams.

Would you say the teams you listed are the norm here?

I admitted there are missing pieces that are holding them back.

Being the norm and most talented in 30 years are not the same thing.

What is the biggest factor for feeling that Miles is not on a hot seat?

1. His trip to the Dance

2. His personality

If I had to take a guess i would say it's his personality. Now that Shields will graduate i believe Tai is the only player remaining that was on the roster for the trip to the dance.

Miles basically caught lightening in a bottle with that group. Pettaway and Pitchford were shooting the lights out and they were getting enough from Shields to help keep defenses honest. Pair that with getting stops on the other end and thats a recipe for success.

I think the biggest thing that will help Miles is find something your team is really good at and go with it. Whether that be you get out and run and try to get as many possessions as possible or even slowing it down and locking in on the defensive end the team needs some sort of identity. Right now they just aren't consistent enough to be very good. Too much changes from game to game with these guys.

1. His trip to the Dance

2. His personality

If I had to take a guess i would say it's his personality. Now that Shields will graduate i believe Tai is the only player remaining that was on the roster for the trip to the dance.

Miles basically caught lightening in a bottle with that group. Pettaway and Pitchford were shooting the lights out and they were getting enough from Shields to help keep defenses honest. Pair that with getting stops on the other end and thats a recipe for success.

I think the biggest thing that will help Miles is find something your team is really good at and go with it. Whether that be you get out and run and try to get as many possessions as possible or even slowing it down and locking in on the defensive end the team needs some sort of identity. Right now they just aren't consistent enough to be very good. Too much changes from game to game with these guys.

I think this is a really solid answer.

1. His trip to the Dance

2. His personality

Just look at the teams that are in the Final Four this year.

UNC has always been known as a team that will push tempo and get 70-80 points every game. They recruit to it and are really really good at it.

Nova is by far the best defensive team left in the tourney. They get out and run some but most of their transition game comes from creating TO in their 2-2-1 3/4 court press.

Syracuse sits in a 2-3 zone and if you can shoot your way to a W then good for you.

Oklahoma under Kruger has been known to push tempo and be a really good shooting team.

Nebraska just needs to find something it can hang its hat on game in and game out and do it. I don't think fans really care what brand of basketball they play as long as it results in W. UVA over the last 4 years has played the most boring brand of basketball there is but they've been excellent at slowing tempo and grinding teams to death.

Nebraska will never be able to recruit at the level of a UNC, Nova, or Syracuse but, as proven this year, there's enough talent to be spread all over the country. Find guys that are good at what you want to do and go with it.

1. His trip to the Dance

2. His personality

UNC has always been known as a team that will push tempo and get 70-80 points every game. They recruit to it and are really really good at it.

Nova is by far the best defensive team left in the tourney. They get out and run some but most of their transition game comes from creating TO in their 2-2-1 3/4 court press.

Syracuse sits in a 2-3 zone and if you can shoot your way to a W then good for you.

Oklahoma under Kruger has been known to push tempo and be a really good shooting team.

Nebraska just needs to find something it can hang its hat on game in and game out and do it. I don't think fans really care what brand of basketball they play as long as it results in W. UVA over the last 4 years has played the most boring brand of basketball there is but they've been excellent at slowing tempo and grinding teams to death.

Nebraska will never be able to recruit at the level of a UNC, Nova, or Syracuse but, as proven this year, there's enough talent to be spread all over the country. Find guys that are good at what you want to do and go with it.

Good post.......the only minor quibble I might have is that I think fans would MUCH PREFER an up and down style (not at the expense of winning, of course), but otherwise would be entertained more by running.

Most of us have had our full of Cip, Moe, Barry, Doc, et cet. Coincidence that the last sustained period of success was with Nee??........who featured an entertaining style as opposed to working the shot clock with perimeter passing until throwing up a prayer at the buzzer. All other things being equal, I would much rather enjoy a 90 - 87 game in lieu of a 50-47 game..........regardless of the outcome. jmho

I think if the recruiting wasn't as good as it's been for at least the 1-3, he would be on more of a hot seat.

That's what it boils down to really. He has recruited higher end talent. People are willing to give him time to see what that talent does. Coaches like Doc and Collier didn't bring in that type of talent so when they tanked there was no light at the end of the tunnel

1. His trip to the Dance

2. His personality

Good post.......the only minor quibble I might have is that I think fans would MUCH PREFER an up and down style (not at the expense of winning, of course), but otherwise would be entertained more by running.

Most of us have had our full of Cip, Moe, Barry, Doc, et cet. Coincidence that the last sustained period of success was with Nee??........who featured an entertaining style as opposed to working the shot clock with perimeter passing until throwing up a prayer at the buzzer. All other things being equal, I would much rather enjoy a 90 - 87 game in lieu of a 50-47 game..........regardless of the outcome. jmho

Agreed. Obviously the fan base would prefer a more fan friendly style of play. But if they can consistently win games by slowing it down and grinding out wins the fans won't complain much.

1. His trip to the Dance

2. His personality

Agreed. Obviously the fan base would prefer a more fan friendly style of play. But if they can consistently win games by slowing it down and grinding out wins the fans won't complain much.

IMO, if we go back to that style of play we fall flat and Miles will be gone.. in short order.

1. His trip to the Dance

2. His personality

IMO, if we go back to that style of play we fall flat and Miles will be gone.. in short order.

Glad that is just your IMO