ESPN State Of The Program: Nebraska

Under your smartassery, there is some truth. We were clearly capable of beating Purdue, we just didn't have the right chemistry that day. Our QB was out, our defense was all sorts of sloppy and the staff was in panic mode. Things started clicking way too late.

The Wisconsin loss is still the friggin worst.

The Ball State loss*

That TT drubbing

The Purdue drubbing

I would put those 3 losses ahead of Wisconsin.

There's absolutely no way I'd put any of those games above either loss to Wisconsin in the B1G title game or the 408 game

See...by not putting Purdue over those...it goes to show how crappy people though things were last year and how lowered the expectations became.

We had a backup QB playing on the road it's a bad loss but nothing like the Wisconsin games

Getting run out of the building in the Big 10 championship game on National Television by a mediocre Wisconsin team has been the most embarrassing game I've ever watched

Under your smartassery, there is some truth. We were clearly capable of beating Purdue, we just didn't have the right chemistry that day. Our QB was out, our defense was all sorts of sloppy and the staff was in panic mode. Things started clicking way too late.

The Ball State loss*

That TT drubbing

The Purdue drubbing

There's absolutely no way I'd put any of those games above either loss to Wisconsin in the B1G title game or the 408 game

See...by not putting Purdue over those...it goes to show how crappy people though things were last year and how lowered the expectations became.

We had a backup QB playing on the road it's a bad loss but nothing like the Wisconsin games

Getting run out of the building in the Big 10 championship game on National Television by a mediocre Wisconsin team has been the most embarrassing game I've ever watched

That one and the 408 game flat out pissed me off. I actually think the 408 game pissed me off more.

• Fire 1

For me the Illinois loss was much worse than the Purdue game. It is very hard to overcome that many turnovers in your half of the field and win, in some ways it was like the 8 turnover ISU game in 09. It was so silly and so unbelievable that you just don't know how it happened.

The Illinois game just really pissed me off. It pissed me off because of the game plan that they tried to impliment. Trying to chuck the ball down the field in that wind and just the overall offensive game management. The defense actually played decent. Everyone was wringing their hands about the defense and they come out and limit Illinois to 14pts. if you would have asked anyone before that game who wins the game if NU only gives up 14 everyone to a man would say NU. That loss is IMO completely on the coaches and in particular Langsdorf for calling such a crappy game and MR for letting him call that game.

While the game plan for Illinois was very poor, it was primarily because of the wind. If you watched the game, we were burning their dbs all game long. We just couldn't complete passes bc of a combination of Tommy throwing in the wind and our receivers having butterfingers at crucial times.

Just some context:

Nebraska had 34 running plays and 31 passing plays that day and lost.

Illinois had 32 running plays and 45 passing plays that day and won.

Weather conditions were the same. Illinois' quarterback was the less-than-legendary Wes Lunt.

For me the Illinois loss was much worse than the Purdue game. It is very hard to overcome that many turnovers in your half of the field and win, in some ways it was like the 8 turnover ISU game in 09. It was so silly and so unbelievable that you just don't know how it happened.

The Illinois game just really pissed me off. It pissed me off because of the game plan that they tried to impliment. Trying to chuck the ball down the field in that wind and just the overall offensive game management. The defense actually played decent. Everyone was wringing their hands about the defense and they come out and limit Illinois to 14pts. if you would have asked anyone before that game who wins the game if NU only gives up 14 everyone to a man would say NU. That loss is IMO completely on the coaches and in particular Langsdorf for calling such a crappy game and MR for letting him call that game.

While the game plan for Illinois was very poor, it was primarily because of the wind. If you watched the game, we were burning their dbs all game long. We just couldn't complete passes bc of a combination of Tommy throwing in the wind and our receivers having butterfingers at crucial times.

Just some context:

Weather conditions were the same. Illinois' quarterback was the less-than-legendary Wes Lunt.

How many times did we chuck it deep? More importantly how many of those deep balls did we complete? Thirty one passes is too many for TA and this offense in those conditions. I have no problem with NU winning an ugly game in bad weather conditions. Lord knows TO won plenty of late Oct/Nov games playing conservative. It was wet and windy How about some short passing, and no Wes Lunt did not have a great day throwing the ball either, but he completed enough to make it work.

The running plays should have doubled up the pass plays, 40/20. It was a bad game plan that they stuck with way too long. Sometimes the film does lie. All I kept thinking about when they said they were giving us the deep ball was listening to Bill Callahan try to explain away the loss to ISU when he threw the ball like 40x because that is what they were giving us.

• Fire 2

The Ball State loss*

That TT drubbing

The Purdue drubbing

Everyone on Purdue's team is a backup...

• Fire 2

Pelini made a habit of championship game collapses. Riley made a habit of not getting to championship games.

• Fire 1

Just some context:

How many times did we chuck it deep? More importantly how many of those deep balls did we complete? Thirty one passes is too many for TA and this offense in those conditions. I have no problem with NU winning an ugly game in bad weather conditions. Lord knows TO won plenty of late Oct/Nov games playing conservative. It was wet and windy How about some short passing, and no Wes Lunt did not have a great day throwing the ball either, but he completed enough to make it work.

The running plays should have doubled up the pass plays, 40/20. It was a bad game plan that they stuck with way too long. Sometimes the film does lie. All I kept thinking about when they said they were giving us the deep ball was listening to Bill Callahan try to explain away the loss to ISU when he threw the ball like 40x because that is what they were giving us.

One of the things that came out afterwards is that Tommy Armstrong was given his options, traditionally his strength, and he ignored both the short passes and open field scrambles thinking he could complete those long balls. That includes the infamous third down play in the fourth quarter where Tommy appeared to panic and turn a called QB keeper into a pass his receiver wasn't expecting.

A sh**ty day and some questionable game strategy for sure, but some of the play-calling issues were on Tommy as well, who was visibly frustrating his coaches on the sideline.

Pelini made a habit of championship game collapses. Riley made a habit of not getting to championship games.

7 year Husker coach vs a 1 year Husker coach

Totally the same thing, smfh.

The Ball State loss*

That TT drubbing

The Purdue drubbing

Wisconsin's QB was Curt Phillips who the #### is Curt Phillps

He threw 6 passes and they scored 70

• Fire 1

The Ball State loss*

That TT drubbing

The Purdue drubbing

The last 3 seasons Purdue has a total of 6 wins...and a total of 2 wins in conference.

Think about that for a moment.

• Fire 1

Riley knows Oregon better than anyone. I'm not optimistic but the guy has proven he can beat them with waay less talent than what he current has at his disposal.

Just so you know. Riley was 0-fer in his last 7 games vs Oregon. So I'm not sure where you are coming up with that. Especially with the upswing of Oregon's program as a whole.

The same team that got embarassed by Utah and squandered away a huge bowl lead to TCU is coming to Lincoln with a new QB, no SF and Hoke on the defnse.

I am liking Nebraska's chances more and more.

Yea, coming to play a team that got smashed by PURDUEEEEEE. Gave up games on the last play and finished 6-7. With a QB that throws more INT's than anyone in the country. No consistent credible running threat. No consistent competent playcalling. Entire DLine gone. A secondary that is SUPER suspect. OLine that is questionable.

I like Oregon's chances more and more

I see this being a very emotional game at the Power T house come game day. I mean who do ya root for?? its way to early to make a prediction on this. Oregon isn't the same as a few years ago, could be worse could be better. and I doubt HCMR has blown anyone away with his coaching abilities at Nebraska Or back in Oregon. I mean Purdue did beat Nebraska and the guy is a .500 coach. hopefully it doesn't take half a season this year to figure out what kind of a team he has.

I love both teams. This is a game I was hoping NEVER ever was to be played/scheduled. I remember when I got the news about Tennessee backing out and Oregon taking their place...gosh, what an emotional moment. I remember thinking how crappy it was going to be. Now, were almost to that point.

I know it sounds like I am hardcore Oregon, which is true, but I always feel like I have to defend them here. Which makes it LOOK like I'm clear cut Oregon. However, it's hard to be one way or the other.

Maybe Jesus will return before this game so I don't even have to worry about it. :)

The Election won't take place for another 45days, so unless something globally happens first, I just don't foresee Jesus' second coming before the game.

The Ball State loss*

That TT drubbing

The Purdue drubbing

The last 3 seasons Purdue has a total of 6 wins...and a total of 2 wins in conference.

Nobody is saying Purdue wasn't severely embarassing. I think you are putting too much weight into the quality of opponent. Purdue is was and will be a dumpster fire of an opponent. But Wisconsin wasn't good that year.

It's more about the fact they hung 70 on us so easily and could have honestly put up 100 if they wouldn't have dialed it back a bit. Purdue had to do everything in their power to win the game against a backup QB and defense that gave up.

The Ball State loss*

That TT drubbing

The Purdue drubbing

Nobody is saying Purdue wasn't severely embarassing. I think you are putting too much weight into the quality of opponent. Purdue is was and will be a dumpster fire of an opponent. But Wisconsin wasn't good that year.

It's more about the fact they hung 70 on us so easily and could have honestly put up 100 if they wouldn't have dialed it back a bit. Purdue had to do everything in their power to win the game against a backup QB and defense that gave up.

The quality (or lack of) IS what makes it a big deal...

Wisconsin put 70 on NU...Purdue scored 55 and that was with only scoring 7 in the 4th! Could you imagine if they would have kept their foot on the gas?

• Fire 1