Cordcutting Now Easier-with BTN and Nearly Every Sports Network

Flood

Thought I'd share this in case anyone has missed it.

Playstation Vue is now nationwide. It does NOT require a playstation, though you can use one.

You can use it on computer, Kindle, smart TV's, the Amazon Fire TV stick and others. Not sure about Chrome, though, someone may want to check it out. Not affiliated in any manner, but this is something I think others would want to know about if they do not already.

Here's the link:

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/network/vue/#1

There's a 10 day free trial and three plans. The middle price plan has all the sports stuff below and more.

I am paying $35.00/month and get all the BTN channels, SEC Net, all the ESPN channels and a slew of other channels like NBC Sports and so on.

The only possible issue is that you will need an over the air digital antenna, which can be had for about 20 bucks on the low end. If you live far from your nearest TV stations you may need a more expensive version.

You still have to have internet access of course. I think they recommend 5 Mb/s download per device. You are allowed up to 5 devices at once.

We just switched but so far the speed and quality are outstanding. Better than our local cable, Time Warner Brighthouse, which has been plagued by digital interference for years.

I'll answer anything I can, but my knowledge is limited, having just switched.

• Fire 3

Thought I'd share this in case anyone has missed it.

Playstation Vue is now nationwide. It does NOT require a playstation, though you can use one.

You can use it on computer, Kindle, smart TV's, the Amazon Fire TV stick and others. Not sure about Chrome, though, someone may want to check it out. Not affiliated in any manner, but this is something I think others would want to know about if they do not already.

Here's the link:

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/network/vue/#1

There's a 10 day free trial and three plans. The middle price plan has all the sports stuff below and more.

I am paying $35.00/month and get all the BTN channels, SEC Net, all the ESPN channels and a slew of other channels like NBC Sports and so on.

The only possible issue is that you will need an over the air digital antenna, which can be had for about 20 bucks on the low end. If you live far from your nearest TV stations you may need a more expensive version.

You still have to have internet access of course. I think they recommend 5 Mb/s download per device. You are allowed up to 5 devices at once.

We just switched but so far the speed and quality are outstanding. Better than our local cable, Time Warner Brighthouse, which has been plagued by digital interference for years.

I'll answer anything I can, but my knowledge is limited, having just switched.

Where do you live though?

I'm in Tampa Bay, but the Sony Vue stuff is nationwide.

I watched a few things last night, as we get used to it. It really is outstanding so far. We still have cable for a few days but I can see this being an easy transition.

What's the video feed like? Does it freeze up or buffer a lot?

I'm in Tampa Bay, but the Sony Vue stuff is nationwide.

I watched a few things last night, as we get used to it. It really is outstanding so far. We still have cable for a few days but I can see this being an easy transition.

What's the video feed like? Does it freeze up or buffer a lot?

So far no freezing. One tiny issue I noticed, but I think it's easily explained. On the original Twilight Zone I watched Episode 1 and noticed an odd pause with strict regular timing. The picture seemed to lag a moment but the audio was fine. I believe this is because the episode was shot in 24 fps and isn't handled well by whatever is trying to convert it.

Watching newer movies (Sin City, Matrix, Interstellar. The Martian, so far) I have noticed utterly no lag or buffering. For me, it is comparable to watching a DVD or DVR in every way.

The only caveat is that it takes a second or two jumping between apps, from Netflix to Vue or to HBO, etc. Nothing terrible, but it's the only minor complaint I can find.

Lag and buffering probably depend entirely on your internet connection. The Vue side seems solid.

• Fire 1

You say that they give you all the BTN channels, but do they ever play anything on the other 2? I have Direct tv with all the BTN channels and only 1 channel plays games, the other two are white noise. Am I missing something?

You have to sign-up for the service with a PS3, PS4, or Amazon Fire.

Once you're signed up it gets a little weird.

You can use a chromecast but only if your source is an IOS device. You can't use airplay to stream to an AppleTv even though you're on IOS. Android is clearly supported because that's what the Amazon Fire is based on but you cannot use an Android device other than the Fire.

Everyone kind of assumes that it's going to end up on ROKU and all Android devices but there hasn't been any confirmation of that from Sony.