Athletic Department under review

Redux

And, of course, we cant forget that Eichorst was selected by Perlman in a process that did not include Eichorsts predecessor, Tom Osborne, a sore subject in a lot of parts of the state.

OWH

I laugh at the stupidity in bold. Unless Osborne is an employee/contractor of the University in some capacity then he should have ZERO say in what happens there. None. If Osborne wants to have a say in the Univeristy's dealings then maybe he should apply and get hired for an actual job there.
Tom Osborne was the Athletic Director of the University when this happened. Harvey didn't consult with TO regarding a replacement, while TO was still employed by the University.

I've also heard from a few different places that Harvey was looking for a replacement before Tom even said he was going to retire, which triggered the abrupt announcement/press conference that nobody saw coming.

Why did Perlman need to consult with Osborne regarding Osborne's replacement? Remember, the last time Osborne recommended an athletic director we got Steve Pederson.
Because Osborne is an actual authority.

And Osborne didn't recommend Peterson in the sense that he identified him and pushed for his hiring. In fact, I can't find any public statement from Osborne related to Pederson as an AD candidate. He simply didn't kill his candidacy in '02. I'm sure now he wishes he had.

Ironic that you'd claim that Harvey went to him in '02 but wouldn't in '12.

You don't know that Osborne didn't identify/push for him. And your requirement to agree that Osborne recommended him is that he made a public statement about it? lol. It's been said many times by well known Nebraska sports journalists that Osborne recommended Pederson. That should be enough and it is for most people. It's not like tabloid gossip to get more readers.

So is the fact that it made sense for him to recommend him since he worked for him.

• Fire 1

And, of course, we can’t forget that Eichorst was selected by Perlman in a process that did not include Eichorst’s predecessor, Tom Osborne, a sore subject in a lot of parts of the state.

OWH

I laugh at the stupidity in bold. Unless Osborne is an employee/contractor of the University in some capacity then he should have ZERO say in what happens there. None. If Osborne wants to have a say in the Univeristy's dealings then maybe he should apply and get hired for an actual job there.

Tom Osborne was the Athletic Director of the University when this happened. Harvey didn't consult with TO regarding a replacement, while TO was still employed by the University.

I've also heard from a few different places that Harvey was looking for a replacement before Tom even said he was going to retire, which triggered the abrupt announcement/press conference that nobody saw coming.

Why did Perlman need to consult with Osborne regarding Osborne's replacement? Remember, the last time Osborne recommended an athletic director we got Steve Pederson.

Maybe because Harvey started contacting people before Tom had even said he was going to retire. Maybe because Harvey did it all on his own and didn't loop in the regents? Maybe because a desperate Harvey asked Tom to come save his butt after he F'd up the Pederson/Callahan boondoggle and cost the university millions by giving Bill and Steve extensions and raises 6 months before they were both fired.

Or maybe it's just because he's TOM OSBORNE and giving him a heads up that you're looking for his replacement while he's still employed is just a good idea?

I mean, consulting a conference rival who can't keep his head coaches is OK (Alvarez), but the guy who gave 40 years of his life to the program? Nah.

:facepalm:

• Fire 2

I see we're forty fathoms deep in the Tom-Osborne-is-infallible dogma again.

Tom Osborne hand-picked Frank Solich to replace him.

Tom Osborne made several questionable moral decisions while head coach at Nebraska that we know about publicly.

Tom Osborne hired Bo Pelini.

Tom Osborne was a good head football coach, and reached legendary status in his final four years. Those four years on top of college football seem to cloud people's understanding of the man. He was not perfect. He was not cut out for every job, and there are differing opinions on his tenure as Athletic Director.

Let's not make the man something he wasn't. Tom would be the first to agree with that.

• Fire 4

I see we're forty fathoms deep in the Tom-Osborne-is-infallible dogma again.

Tom Osborne hand-picked Frank Solich to replace him.

Tom Osborne made several questionable moral decisions while head coach at Nebraska that we know about publicly.

Tom Osborne hired Bo Pelini.

Tom Osborne was a good head football coach, and reached legendary status in his final four years. Those four years on top of college football seem to cloud people's understanding of the man. He was not perfect. He was not cut out for every job, and there are differing opinions on his tenure as Athletic Director.

Let's not make the man something he wasn't. Tom would be the first to agree with that.

So you're one of those "it's all Osborne's fault" people, huh?

Why stop there? Why not blame Bill Byrne or James Moeser for the hiring of Solich as HC?

I suppose you're also one of those, "I knew Solich/Pelini was a terrible hire from the day it was announced!", huh?

Why not blame Devaney since he's the numbskull who brought that idiot Osborne into the program in the first place to poison it with his delusions of grandeur?

And, of course, we can’t forget that Eichorst was selected by Perlman in a process that did not include Eichorst’s predecessor, Tom Osborne, a sore subject in a lot of parts of the state.

OWH

Maybe because Harvey started contacting people before Tom had even said he was going to retire. Maybe because Harvey did it all on his own and didn't loop in the regents? Maybe because a desperate Harvey asked Tom to come save his butt after he F'd up the Pederson/Callahan boondoggle and cost the university millions by giving Bill and Steve extensions and raises 6 months before they were both fired.

Or maybe it's just because he's TOM OSBORNE and giving him a heads up that you're looking for his replacement while he's still employed is just a good idea?

I mean, consulting a conference rival who can't keep his head coaches is OK (Alvarez), but the guy who gave 40 years of his life to the program? Nah.

:facepalm:

Why do the Regents need to be involved in something the Chancellor is supposed to be able to do? If this is a requirement, then fine but if its not then why is this a big deal? If it wasn't a requirement then I see this as Perlman simply doing his job.

In regards to the bolded part, in all fairness I wouldn't be happy if that happened to me. That said, rumors that Perlman and Osborne don't get along have surfaced from time to time. When you don't get along with your boss, you are the one who generally loses.

My issue with needing Osborne's approval for anything to do with the Athletic Department and/or football program is that Osborne is not employed by the University in any manner that I am aware of. Anyone who isn't being employed by the University should have zero say in what goes on there. If you want his input, hire him either as an employee or a consultant. Otherwise just let the man go fishing. And as Knapp pointed out, Osborne is hardly infallible and Osborne himself would be the first to tell you that.

Osborne is hardly infallible and Osborne himself would be the first to tell you that.

It's not about "infallibility". It's that the worst time our football program has seen in decades has been when Osborne was not involved, or was sidestepped.

What are you going to do when the man dies? At some point we have to move on from this idea that only Osborne can keep things together here at Nebraska. Reality is that eventually everyone dies.

Maybe leave the personal bits out of the posts and just talk about the topic. That'd be swell.

Why don't you blame Harvey for hiring Osborne, since Osborne has made all those bad decisions that resulted in poor program performance?

I don't think Knapp is blaming anyone.