Boyd Epley's role with Husker football team expanding

The point is, a single index point system, which has been revamped, doesn't tell the whole or even most of the story.

I just get tired of the narrative that we don't have talented enough players. This team had the talent needed to win at least 10 games this year, and I consider it mostly a failure by the coaches for not getting the team there.

The previous staff was only brought up to refute the notion that NU has lacked talent, at least divisional championship talent, recently.

Anyone else feel like Philipp and Epley will make a hell of a S & C team? Maybe it's the offseason optimist in me, but between that, recruiting being off to a good start, and the way we finished the season it seems like we're headed in the right direction.

As much as I have bagged on the staff, Riley has made some good off season moves i.e. recruiting, firing if HH. I think the edition of soliciting Boyd for help is good. The addition of Coach P might be the missing pice we have need for a while. Throw in the S&C and we seem to be improving. Not to mention there seems to be the attitude of one team now with complete buy in.

At the request of coach Mike Riley, Boyd Epley Nebraska's author of "Husker Power" and now associate athletic director for strength and conditioning will have an expanded role with the NU football program focused on injury prevention.

Riley confirmed Thursday that he'd reached out in recent weeks to Epley who was Nebraska's head strength coach for 35 years to come up with some ideas on injury prevention, specifically the groin and hamstring issues that have dogged Husker wide receivers, defensive backs and linebackers over the last calendar year. Riley said his teams have long struggled with those injuries at the beginning of any training period whether it be spring or fall camp and he'd like Epley's input.

Also some extremely interesting comments from Epley regarding athleticism on the football team that I hadn't seen before.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs/boyd-epley-s-role-with-husker-football-team-expanding/article_83e84c98-f798-11e5-971d-b3ff55375e27.html?mode=jqm

You don't have to be the best at everything to be a good leader...but you have to boldly reach out to those that are the best if needed..

I don't think there's any doubt that both Bo Pelini and Mike Riley could have squeezed more out of the talent they had. Bo's teams often did not seem mentally prepared, and offense and defense often refused to make any adjustments when schemes weren't working. Mike Riley went 6-7 in his first season. Of course that should have been better, even with all the bad luck.

Nebraska has looked like the #26 team in the nation for several years. One could argue that Pelini did a decent job of coaching a #37 recruiting class into a #26 team. But after a few years you get the nagging suspicion that we aren't playing on the same field with the Top 20, much less the playoff worthy Top 4 (still, hats off to Riley for beating MSU!)

All these years you could look at Nebraska and see a lot of talent. You just couldn't see the depth. And let's face it, out of 22 starting players, you would only need two mediocre offensive linemen, two torchable DBs, and one inconsistent quarterback to drag the whole enterprise down.

Boyd Epley's timing was perfect if you think it was time for Nebraska to get more serious about winning more football games.

If you're convinced it was Shawn Eichorst bringing in a Nebraska and NCAA football legend to help out the beleaguered coach he just hired.....uhm....why would that be so bad, either?

• Fire 1

As of mid-December 2015:

I can tell you right now after testing football four times up here, that our talent level is not where it used to be, Epley said.

http://journalstar.com/sports/epley-says-football-testing-numbers-could-make-public-return/article_1fa3d4a9-3e21-5351-ae9e-4e8131996dc2.html

So it wasn't a one time after the season thing. And I don't think he's saying anything controversial or worthy of consternation here. Of course we're nowhere close to where we used to be.

• Fire 3

Epley's is stating nicely how sh**ty of a S&C program we had under the last regime. Nothing more.

I have stated it from the beginning that Philipp will turn out to be the best hire of Riley's.

For the most part I think Dobson did a pretty good job for what he had to work with. He's probably the biggest reason Phillip Dillard made it to the pros. Probably had a huge impact on Suh's development too.

Having Epley around is a fantastic resource for Philipp. I feel much better about the current situation.

• Fire 2

If you go back to the original discussion when those comments were published, Epley's comment were taken out of context by posters in an effort to show that NU lacked talent. Recall, this all came up about 2 weeks after the finish of a 5-7 seasons.

Personally, I think there's a lot of evidence, besides a single index test administered at the end of a season, to demonstrate that this roster had plenty of talent to finish with 10+ wins and be in contention for a conference championship.

Most people around here, including several in this thread, seem to disbelieve that.

If I'm misunderstanding people's belief, then please chime in and correct me.

Point out where anyone has said we have no talent.

If you go back to the original discussion when those comments were published, Epley's comment were taken out of context by posters in an effort to show that NU lacked talent. Recall, this all came up about 2 weeks after the finish of a 5-7 seasons.

Personally, I think there's a lot of evidence, besides a single index test administered at the end of a season, to demonstrate that this roster had plenty of talent to finish with 10+ wins and be in contention for a conference championship.

Most people around here, including several in this thread, seem to disbelieve that.

Point out where I said someone said we had no talent.

Point out where I said someone said we had no talent.
Your post is in response to mine and Dude's post commenting on BRV920 claiming others have said "we have no talent."