Continuing Our Draft Record - Who Gets Drafted in 2017?

I disagree with your evaluation of Gerry. He was just beginning to come into his own Soph. Yr new scheme Jr. Yr looked confused most times and I believe to concerned about the rest of the secondary and knowing their responsibilities that it brought his game down. He tried to do to much. Just my two cents.

• Fire 1

Who cares? I'm always baffled at how much interest this garners. It's cool. But I couldnt care less about who is getting drafted. Especially if NU is only winning 6-9 games a year.

Win more and the draft picks come. Success garners attention.

Exactly. The cupboard is bare from poor recruiting. I doubt any will get drafted, cuz if they do they won't buy in, so why bother.

Who cares about the college players anyway? It's us fans that are important. We're the ones who pay their salary.

Carter

Westercamp

Reilly

Gerry

MRI

Bando

I think Bando and Gerry will have good senior season and then will have great test scores. the NFL likes guys with awesome test scores.

I think Westercamp is a great college receiver and is one of Nebraska's better ever but not so sure he ends up doing well at NFL level. I think his smarts, hands and basic route skills are certainly NFL level. Just not sure he has the size and pure speed and or quickness/run after the catch skills they want.

Gerry has plenty of talent to play in the NFL. The guy is a beast and extremely fast (not sure where questions of his speed come up, except maybe due to race??). We'll see if his talents are better utilized this year.

It has nothing to do with race - that's irrelevant.

Gerry has NFL potential but he can be flat-footed in the back field and doesn't have great agility in my opinion. He is "fast," perhaps on a straight away, but everyone in the NFL is fast.

He also struggled at times in pass coverage last year. Another year in the system and his execution should improve, but as of right now, I wouldn't put him in my list of guys I think will be drafted. I mean, if he had tried to go pro this year, he wouldn't have been drafted. He's going to have to work pretty hard this next season I think to have a shot.

• Fire 2

Who cares? I'm always baffled at how much interest this garners. It's cool. But I couldnt care less about who is getting drafted. Especially if NU is only winning 6-9 games a year.

Win more and the draft picks come. Success garners attention.

Exactly. The cupboard is bare from poor recruiting. I doubt any will get drafted, cuz if they do they won't buy in, so why bother.

Who cares about the college players anyway? It's us fans that are important. We're the ones who pay their salary.

Lot of value in these two post

Gerry has plenty of talent to play in the NFL. The guy is a beast and extremely fast (not sure where questions of his speed come up, except maybe due to race??). We'll see if his talents are better utilized this year.

What would his race have to do with anything? No one thinks Gerry is less of a football player because he's white.
  • Fire 1

It has nothing to do with race - that's irrelevant.

Gerry has NFL potential but he can be flat-footed in the back field and doesn't have great agility in my opinion. He is "fast," perhaps on a straight away, but everyone in the NFL is fast.

He also struggled at times in pass coverage last year. Another year in the system and his execution should improve, but as of right now, I wouldn't put him in my list of guys I think will be drafted. I mean, if he had tried to go pro this year, he wouldn't have been drafted. He's going to have to work pretty hard this next season I think to have a shot.

Bingo!

What would his race have to do with anything? No one thinks Gerry is less of a football player because he's white.

It was ignorant of him to even bring up.

• Fire 1

Ignorant for me to bring up? It was ignorant for someone to say he isn't fast. I have no idea where that would come from except by that person's ridiculous assumptions.

I can at least appreciate the nuance around flexibility/quickness mentioned by enhance, though I disagree with that assessment too.

I think there's plenty of evidence in just these couple of clips that he's got all facets of the athleticism needed to play DB in the league.

People forget this kid was 2nd team all B10 as a sophomore. Last year should have been breakout for him.

• Fire 1

It was ignorant of him to even bring up.
For once I don't disagree with cm. Anytime questions about speed or quickness come up, they're usually about the "High I.Q. Guys" or the "coaches on the field" or the "real team players" or the "hard workers during the off season." I.e. the White guys.

That doesn't mean Gerry's not slow and it doesn't mean that's what's happening here but it happens often enough that there probably is something going on there. It also happened with Westerkamp in this thread. Maybe it's not that it happens with White dudes but that you don't often hear people saying a Black player is slow.

Holy cow! Those biceps on Gerry should make somebody somewhere do a little digging on what's up with him. If nothing else, they say, "I've put in my time in the weight room".

Anyone who looks at the film clip of Gerry being thrown out of his second game would be intrigued after being upset over the call. That was a perfect play on his part.