Would you be ok with NU winning 1-2 "big games" each year, if it meant losing 1-2 games they "shouldn't"

So, let me get this straight. I'm the weird one for preffering a close lose over a meltdown loss like Bo vs Wisconsin?

This has nothing to do with settling, I said in my first post above "I want to win every week, verbatim". How is that settling? I can't actually barter with a football god.

if NU doesn't go undefeated at home in 2016, it's an epic failure.

I always thought that Pelini fella was a pretty good coach. But he only had one undefeated home season in seven years. So I guess his other six seasons were epic failures. :dunno:

My comment about being undefeated at home is for B1G games only. I did mis-type and I have fixed the OP. Have you seen how crappy our conference opponents that are coming into Lincoln?

My comment has nothing to do with what Pelini did.

• Fire 1

The problem with trading "flukey" wins for "flukey" losses is just that - everything is flukey and you don't really know how good of a team you are.

If you really have a good team, you shouldn't be losing those flukey games. You should be handling the lesser teams and competing with the better teams.

Beating Michigan State at least helps it feel like the team was actually better than the one that lost to Illinois and Purdue in the short term. But in the long term the flukey losses aren't going to get us anywhere we really want to be as a program.

Yep!

I don't want to be Close-Loss U...or Flukey Loss U...

Those are better than my alma mater: Degrading Blowout U

• Fire 1

I think some are reading far too much into what I said originally. Let me just answer the thread title.

Would you be ok with NU winning 1-2 "big games" each year, if it meant losing 1-2 games they "shouldn't":

No, I want to win every game.

The problem with trading "flukey" wins for "flukey" losses is just that - everything is flukey and you don't really know how good of a team you are.

If you really have a good team, you shouldn't be losing those flukey games. You should be handling the lesser teams and competing with the better teams.

Beating Michigan State at least helps it feel like the team was actually better than the one that lost to Illinois and Purdue in the short term. But in the long term the flukey losses aren't going to get us anywhere we really want to be as a program.

Yep!

I don't want to be Close-Loss U...or Flukey Loss U...

Those are better than my alma mater: Degrading Blowout U

You come from "Blow U"?

In response to the original question, no I would not be OK winning some bigs and losing some not so bigs. We need to get to consistent 10-11-12 wins per year. One slip up every 2 to 3 years. Remember when the Huskers lost to Jake the Snake, ASU or when we lost to Syracuse? You do because with the old regime, the Huskers almost never lost the ones they shouldn't.

And I don't think that we know for sure if it is an "epic failure" until next December. Hell, we could get beat on a last second FG by west champion 11-1 Minnesota led by 1st round draft pick Mitch Liedner. I don't think that would qualify as an epic failure.

Let me just put this scenario out there:

We go to Columbus. For 3 Quarters we shock thr hell out of them and carry a 17 point lead into the 4th quarter. 5 minutes left, the Buckeyes have stormed back with 13 points but we are driving. Suddenly, a bad handoff happens and the Buckeyes turn it into a TD with a minute left and win the game. Heartbreaking.

Or would you rather....

Nebraska @ Ohio State 2012

We go to Columbus. For 3 Quarters we shock thr hell out of them and carry a 17 point lead into the 4th quarter. 5 minutes left, the Buckeyes have stormed back with 13 points but we are driving. Suddenly, a bad handoff happens and the Buckeyes turn it into a TD with a minute left and win the game. Heartbreaking.

Or would you rather....

When you keep changing the parameters it makes it hard to have a coherent conversation.

• Fire 2

Or would you rather....

So, you're upset you weren't getting enough likes, so you move the goalposts until you do?

• Fire 2