OWH: Outgoing UNL Chancellor Harvey Perlman leaves with unmet goal: Huskers’ return to top

"Perlman noted he had the misfortune of coming in the wake of the unprecedented career of Tom Osborne, one of the most successful and innovative football coaches of all time and a tough act for any coach to follow. To fail to recognize that, Perlman said, doesnt give the legend his due."

Oh, woe is Prickman! What a whiner!

What he failed to recognize is the system both Devaney and Osborne set up for NU football and how well it worked, and that all he needed to do was provide the necessary support and LEAVE IT ALONE! That would have made his job, as far as football, much, much easier. But egomaniacs can't leave well enough alone, and instead, they feel compelled to leave their mark. Meanwhile, here NU football is, right smack in the middle of mediocrity.

Hey Prickman, Osborne had to follow a legend, and he ended up okay. Partly because he had a much smarter (than you) AD over him. The same would have been true for Solich, but you and your egomaniac AD SPEM could not leave the system alone. Now, four coaches later, and a lot of payouts, NU football is in worse shape than during Solich. And the ONLY common denominator is YOU! Thanks a lot. Don't let the door hit your azz on the way out.

Solich was at least as responsible as anyone for Nebraska's fall from grace in football.

It literally happened while he was in charge of the football program.

One season finishing outside the top 25. Most in the top 15. A ccg win. A NC appearance.

Meyer left Florida when he was 8-5. Guess he was responsible for their downfall too.

You'd think that husker fans would have calibrated their understanding of "downfall" and "mediocrity" by now.

• Fire 2

It's amusing to me that Perlman would invoke respect for Osborne's legacy while also justifying the idiocy of firing Frank in '03 and later Bo for "not winning the games that matter."

Well, Bo absolutely did not win the games that mattered so what's your point?

Yea Frank probably should not have been fired, but how can anyone still defend Bo? He told you to go F*ck yourself. Bo was an embarrassment, he had a terrible petulant temper, and he could not win the games that mattered.

Harvey's greatest achievement was Sh*t canning ole BO. I commend Harvey for that endeavor.

I don't think Bo ever said "Throwing Bones, go ____ yourself." But maybe I missed that Omaha/Journalstar article.

Obviously he didn't use your HB name, or your RL name but he did tell the fans to go F themselves, and if you're a fan (I'm assuming you are since you are here posting) that applies to you as well.

He told fans who booed his players to go f#*k themselves. And I echo his sentiments.

Great leadership skills right there. So CM do you ever think you will get over the firing of BP? Ans can you please enlighten us all with what bo might have accomplished had he not been fired?

It's amusing to me that Perlman would invoke respect for Osborne's legacy while also justifying the idiocy of firing Frank in '03 and later Bo for "not winning the games that matter."

Yea Frank probably should not have been fired, but how can anyone still defend Bo? He told you to go F*ck yourself. Bo was an embarrassment, he had a terrible petulant temper, and he could not win the games that mattered.

Harvey's greatest achievement was Sh*t canning ole BO. I commend Harvey for that endeavor.

I don't think Bo ever said "Throwing Bones, go ____ yourself." But maybe I missed that Omaha/Journalstar article.

Obviously he didn't use your HB name, or your RL name but he did tell the fans to go F themselves, and if you're a fan (I'm assuming you are since you are here posting) that applies to you as well.

He told fans who booed his players to go f#*k themselves. And I echo his sentiments.

The fans should cheer the team off the field at halftime every time. It doesn't matter that we were down 20-6 and being outgained 246 to 117 by an unranked team. Or that NU was coming off a game the week before where they were beat down 48-17.

And if I had to guess, I would say the boos were aimed at Bo and staff.

• Fire 2

I don't think SE if MR would have shown no interest would have went "Oh sh#t what do we do now" That is what SP did, that is why it took 41 days to find a coach. SP badly misread the coaching landscape. He thought he would have guys fighting for the job at Nebraska and that just wasn't the case.

The only reason you know SPEM had no Plan B is hindsight. Since Ickyhorst's first choice, Riley took the job, we'll never know if he really did have a Plan B. Judging by his SPEM-like actions, it wouldn't surprise me in the least he had no Plan B.

You know it is really hard for me to take you very seriously when you have to use name callling for people you don't like. Are you 12?

Whether Solich would have succeeded and ended up a great coach with better support from an AD is debatable. It is hard to follow a legend. The fact that TO was able to follow BD and have as much success is are rare thing and just shows how great of a football coach he is. Alabama basically searched 20+ years to find Bear Bryants equal. USC is certainly having a hard time finding the next Pete Carrol and before him they spent about 20 years as middle of the road team. Tennessee hasn't done so hot since firing Fat Phil. Washington is stil searching for someone of Don James caliber. The jury is still out but Notre Dame may have finally found someone as good as Lou Holtz

With that said, TO was definitely not considered a great coach by a lot of Nebraska fans for a lot of the years he coached.

You know it is really hard for me to take you very seriously when you have to use name callling for people you don't like. Are you 12?

Whether Solich would have succeeded and ended up a great coach with better support from an AD is debatable. It is hard to follow a legend. The fact that TO was able to follow BD and have as much success is are rare thing and just shows how great of a football coach he is. Alabama basically searched 20+ years to find Bear Bryants equal. USC is certainly having a hard time finding the next Pete Carrol and before him they spent about 20 years as middle of the road team. Tennessee hasn't done so hot since firing Fat Phil. Washington is stil searching for someone of Don James caliber. The jury is still out but Notre Dame may have finally found someone as good as Lou Holtz

With that said, TO was definitely not considered a great coach by a lot of Nebraska fans for a lot of the years he coached.

I'd bet most of the same people crying about Riley, Perlman and Eichorst are the same ones that wanted Osborne fired because he couldn't win the big one or he couldn't beat Oklahoma.

The fans should cheer the team off the field at halftime every time. It doesn't matter that we were down 20-6 and being outgained 246 to 117 by an unranked team. Or that NU was coming off a game the week before where they were beat down 48-17.

And if I had to guess, I would say the boos were aimed at Bo and staff.

I know you want to rationalize it all away, but in reality those fans started booing when TM came back in (not unlike what happened to Frost at one point). They had ripped him all week. Very harshly. To the extent that guys like Burkhead felt the need to speak out in his defense.

There's a big difference between booing and simply sitting silently.

That's why I'll never blame players much for a "us against them" attitude. Husker fans can be among the harshest out there when it comes to criticizing their own. Probably because so many have a sense of entitlement related to a self aggrandizement about being the best in the country. Who knows.

• Fire 1

I'd bet most of the same people crying about Riley, Perlman and Eichorst are the same ones that wanted Osborne fired because he couldn't win the big one or he couldn't beat Oklahoma.

HahahahahahaHHahahahahahaaHHahahahahahaaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

• Fire 1

HahahahahahaHHahahahahahaaHHahahahahahaaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

dude, do you really think that Bo's tenure would have been kindred to TO had he not been fired?

It was a private conversation. But at least we know where things stand with someone like Bo. Not a lot of "won't deny" this and "I would be lying if" that. He spoke plainly. That's hard for some to handle. I get it.

Bingo.

I find it baffling how people can take that statement and take it so personally.

Nebraska fans, like 90% of P5 fans and 99% of all other fans, need to come to grips with the reality that we will likely never win another NC.

Chasing that ring is more likely to lead to sub .500 seasons than division and conf titles.

I think if TO had stayed as AD, Bo would still be here and we would have won 10 or 12 games this past season. And we'd be in a better spot today than we are currently in terms of pulling off a conf championship.

Problem is, and I think it will lead NU to become truly mediocre, that sort of result isn't good enough for most fans.

• Fire 1

Nebraska fans, like 90% of P5 fans and 99% of all other fans, need to come to grips with the reality that we will likely never win another NC.

Chasing that ring is more likely to lead to sub .500 seasons than division and conf titles.

I think if TO had stayed as AD, Bo would still be here and we would have won 10 or 12 games this past season. And we'd be in a better spot today than we are currently in terms of pulling off a conf championship.

Problem is, and I think it will lead NU to become truly mediocre, that sort of result isn't good enough for most fans.

You forget the status quo was always four loses, that is tangible evidence for you to chew on.

BO would have lost to Wisconsin, State, UCLA, Purdue, Illinois, northwestern, Miami, BYU by double digits, and the white team during spring ball.

So we're still gonna keep pretending there weren't off-the-field issues that helped enable Frank Solich's dismissal, and we're determined to forget there were plenty of influential alums who thought Nebraska was trending dangerously downwards regardless of who was or wasn't the AD?

For those with short memories, Mike Riley's 6-7 season ended a lot more upbeat than Frank's 7-7 season.

And I was totally cool with keeping Frank, even if I desperately wanted out of that Jamal Lord offense.

But Perleman's hindsight is no more or less excusable than the brilliant posters of HuserBoard, who probably don't want to revisit the many, many times they got it wrong. Including, it seems, the widespread celebration of the Pederson hire.

It's a hard pill to swallow, but Nebraska football's 40 year run of excellence was virtually impossible to sustain, and our 15 year run of mediocrity has been comparable or preferable to the downcycles of every other college football powerhouse.

• Fire 6