OWH: Outgoing UNL Chancellor Harvey Perlman leaves with unmet goal: Huskers’ return to top

Most people who use the word agenda have no idea what it means. Most of the time people have opinions without having an agenda other than wanting to speak their opinion. I mean, if anyone posting here actually had an agenda, they wouldn't be trying to forward it by posting here.

Been trying to stay out of this because a few people have decided to rewrite history and cast aspersions on the motives of a great man and the best thing that ever happened to Husker football. I really don't want to join the pissing contest but this needs to be said. If I thought for one second that TO brought LP back to the team and played him only because he wanted to win, that would be the moment I was no longer a fan of Nebraska football. It would end right there with that thought.

Some of you have conveniently forgotten or are painfully unaware that was not the standard back in that time period. Players were given 2nd and 3rd chances. That's the way it was across the board. You can't apply today's standard to things that happened before that was commonplace. I've also read enough of Tom's thoughts and motivations to know that he absolutely did what he did primarily to help LP. It is way too easy to look at it in hindsight and say it was wrong. Hell Tom has even admitted that in hindsight he would have done it differently. I'm sure wanting to win and play the best RB he had available played into it a little bit but, if you really believe he brought him back and played him primarily or only to win, you're full of sh#t and don't know or understand jack about Tom Osborne or the history of Husker football. Period. So take that bull crap someplace else. It's actually sad and embarrassing. That is the kind of crap somebody that grew up a CU Buffs fan in Colorado likes to believe because they have been brainwashed by the morons around them with that wrong headed version of events. Problem is its dead wrong and you are embarrassing yourselves. Just stop. I think we all agree now, TO incuded, that it was the wrong way to handle and nothing was going to save LP from himself or his upbringing. But for godsakes, don't crucify and vilify the man for attempting what he thought would help the poor kid.

Joe Paterno didn't show up at parties in fur coats, or fast-rope into stadiums, either. "Benefit of the doubt" has to be checked with sober judgment.

What the hell? Are you freaking kidding me right now?

Word of advice, walk away.

Never thought I'd see a husker fan equate TO with Peterno.

Husker Nation is dead.

No, just some of the fans are dead!

I mean, I get disagreeing with TO, but to make these character assassinations is beyond belief!

You two are being incredibly melodramatic.

I won't begrudge anyone their opinion on the matter, but regardless of TO's intentions or actual motives, the LP situation was and always will be a highly controversial piece of Husker history. And that wasn't the only player situation TO took criticism for. Ultimately, a coach will have to deal with many difficult player-related dilemmas during their career.

• Fire 1

I can't believe this even needs to be said, yeesh.

Tom Osborne was about the best example of a coach with integrity as you can find, still is to this day. His relationship with LP however is a stain no matter which side of the fence you sit on. The guy had his demons, yet Tom believed in him enough to grant him more chances than he deserved. Was it simply to win a game? Doubtful, we could have won without him but him playing definitely helped. Did he play him just to give him more and more chances? Doubtful, he was an asset on the field and Tom wanted him out there regardless of his off field issues. I believe Tom believed him playing would help him in the long run, football was LP's outlet. Did he only play him in the hopes of him being someone elses problem? No, this can be proven by the fact Tom stayed into contact with him even in prison.

Tom's character can be stacked above coaches past and present and he can be looked at in a much brighter light than most if not all of them. But like any coach he has skeletons and that's that.

This thread is a shining example of what is wrong with the board right now. A select few posters have become so insufferable that people are willing to take an anti TO stance just to battle them. That's not to say both sides don't have points, but it's gotten completely out of hand. None of this feels constructive and the board as a whole has become a chore.

• Fire 2

Lawrence Phillips dragged his girlfriend down several flights of stairs by her hair. Try to imagine having that happen to you for a second. There is absolutely no reason why we can't judge Osborne for letting Phillips stay on the team.

I think Osborne is a good man and tried to do the right thing. I don't think he kept Phillips on the team because he thought it would win him a national championship. But that doesn't change the fact that he should have been kicked off the team. It doesn't matter that Phillips did what was asked of him. What should have been asked of him was to not come to anymore practices or games because he was no longer a part of the team.

No one is saying that Osborne is as bad as Paterno. What's being said is that outward appearances aren't everything.

• Fire 1