NU football ticket availability underscores critical nature of season

I definitely think the sell-out streak is in jeopardy. Went through the ticket office a couple weeks ago to purchase single game tickets for the Oregon game. Just received an email, stating that single game tickets would not be sold, the only way to get tickets for the Oregon game is to purchase season tickets. Reminds me of the sh#t that the Iowa State's and Wyoming's of the world would do, whenever we went to play them at their field. The university knows that is the only home game worth going to this year and they are trying to capitalize on it as much as possible.

Not sure I follow.

They aren't going to sell single game tickets because they plan on selling out with season ticket holders. Oregon fans get allotted a certain number that they can buy through their ticket office in the visiter's section. They aren't being required to by Nebraska season tickets to come to see the game.

I think the point is that the Nebraska ticket office is doing to Nebraska fans what Wyoming and Iowa State does (did) to Nebraska fans. The ticket managers realize that there is only one marquee game and holding the fans hostage to maximize profit.

When was the last time there was a season where you could call up Nebraska ticket office and buy a single game ticket to a home game in June?

Never.

Then why is it all of a sudden a sign that the sell out streak is ending because..."OH MY GOD......I can't buy a single game ticket to the best game of the year".?

I looked in to season tickets this year but decided the price was too much. If it was just the price of the tickets about $800 or just the donation, $1,000, I would have done it but with both it's just not worth it. Go back to the old way and make it so the donation is your payment for the tickets and I think this becomes much less of a problem.

I guess I don't follow you here. There were quite a few - a couple hundred or so - season tickets available this year that you didn't have to make any donation to get. Just the $399 cost of the seven game tickets. There there were hundreds more that required a donation of either $150 or $250. So there were plenty of tickets available for less than $650 each.

I don't know what's left now but there were a lot of them that didn't get renewed from last year.

• Fire 1

I definitely think the sell-out streak is in jeopardy. Went through the ticket office a couple weeks ago to purchase single game tickets for the Oregon game. Just received an email, stating that single game tickets would not be sold, the only way to get tickets for the Oregon game is to purchase season tickets. Reminds me of the sh#t that the Iowa State's and Wyoming's of the world would do, whenever we went to play them at their field. The university knows that is the only home game worth going to this year and they are trying to capitalize on it as much as possible.

Not sure I follow.

They aren't going to sell single game tickets because they plan on selling out with season ticket holders. Oregon fans get allotted a certain number that they can buy through their ticket office in the visiter's section. They aren't being required to by Nebraska season tickets to come to see the game.

I think the point is that the Nebraska ticket office is doing to Nebraska fans what Wyoming and Iowa State does (did) to Nebraska fans. The ticket managers realize that there is only one marquee game and holding the fans hostage to maximize profit.

When was the last time there was a season where you could call up Nebraska ticket office and buy a single game ticket to a home game in June?

Never.

Then why is it all of a sudden a sign that the sell out streak is ending because..."OH MY GOD......I can't buy a single game ticket to the best game of the year".?

This particular thing isn't a sign of that - it's just huKSer being confused about how ticket sales at Nebraska have always worked.

Not sure I follow.

Never.

This particular thing isn't a sign of that - it's just huKSer being confused about how ticket sales at Nebraska have always worked.

I agree....my question wasn't towards you. It was towards him and why he thinks it's a sign of it.

I looked in to season tickets this year but decided the price was too much. If it was just the price of the tickets about $800 or just the donation, $1,000, I would have done it but with both it's just not worth it. Go back to the old way and make it so the donation is your payment for the tickets and I think this becomes much less of a problem.

I guess I don't follow you here. There were quite a few - a couple hundred or so - season tickets available this year that you didn't have to make any donation to get. Just the $399 cost of the seven game tickets. There there were hundreds more that required a donation of either $150 or $250. So there were plenty of tickets available for less than $650 each.

I don't know what's left now but there were a lot of them that didn't get renewed from last year.

I knew there were one's with a lesser donation but I didn't realize there were any available for no donation. That's much more reasonable, but for me, pretty much the only seats I would want for season tickets are $500 and above/seat. Otherwise I think I'd rather watch from home and not have to bring a pair of binoculars just to watch the game.

The no-donation tickets aren't really that bad. We used to sit up there, and we never missed a play. We had an excellent view of the Westerkatch against Northwestern, and I still remember seeing every play develop on the goal-line stand against Missouri in 2010, including when Ciante stonewalled Booger Gabbert on 3rd-and-goal at the one yard line to seal the game.

The other part of this is you're finding less and less people who are willing to shelve out $$$ to sit in the top corners of the stadium and use binoculars to see what the hell is going on down there. I live in Charlotte, go to 1 Panthers game a year and just scalp the seats we want on the sideline for one game.

And with outlets like ticketmaster, vivid seats, stub hub, etc why would I drop the $500+ in donations per seat for season tickets? I love Husker football but at some point there is a law of diminishing returns

I agree with this. IMO the sellout streak is not in jeopardy as long as those who set prices for seats and season tickets properly value their product against demand. If demand is slipping a little they need to reevaluate prices in relation to location in the stadium, and fan experience and amenities. They are already doing this, BTW. The WiFi is excellent, for example.

Also, I'm assuming you meant "Shell-out". (for the sell-out)

• Fire 1
Well the true fan seems to be coming out. More about beer at the bar, watching the big screen than truly supporting your team. If this board truly represents the fan base of Nebraska football, it seems to be over.

Plenty of time for the Nebraska Athletic Department to mend fences and start competing for people's time and money on a Saturday.

I always said that the Athletic Department was making a mistake by comparing "apples to apples". They would jack up the price on tickets and then primly say, "Well, we are competitive with what Michigan or Ohio State or Penn State charges".

The only problem with that is no Nebraskan wakes up and says, "Gee, should I go to Lincoln or Ann Arbor to watch the game?" Nebraska isn't competing with Michigan for butts in the seats, they are competing with movies, malls, hunting season,concerts. and every other form of entertainment HERE IN NEBRASKA. The powers that be should have been comparing "Apples to Oranges", because Nebraska football competes with every other form of entertainment, and it seems they were pricing themselves at a disadvantage against these.

• Fire 1

IN MY OPINION, attending the game in the stadium is so far superior a Husker experience, there is just no comparison.

Fixed it for you.

I guess I am just not a herd animal at heart.

I'm with ya. I don't like fighting crowds. Busy Walmart days drive me nuts. There isn't a high level of with-it-ness out there anymore.

If two or more people in a row of seats is five or more pounds overweight, it is problematic for everybody in that row to actually sit down at the same time. Parking is not good and is expensive, concessions are expensive, and half of the seats don't really offer that good a view. Not to mention, if one is used to watching a game on television with instant replays multiple camera angles. The only thing a game has to offer is (maybe) atmosphere of the crowd's roar.

I think every Nebraska fan should get to go to at least one football game, nobody should have to go twice.

I hope you never have to bear the horrendous tragedy of going to a professional sporting event in a major metro area. $10 parking and $5 drinks? Try $50 parking and $11 Bud Lights at an NFL game.

You know Memorial Stadium has an app where you can immediately DVR previous plays from all camera angles on your phone? It's a pretty nifty feature. Actually gives you more options than a cable/satellite provider.

And I like the (maybe) on the crowd noise atmosphere. Like in what scenario is that not a thing? If you are deaf?

I don't get a steady signal in the Stadium is there wifi or something you are using or is my carrier crap? (Verizon) Or just my phone is a pos?

The other part of this is you're finding less and less people who are willing to shelve out $$$ to sit in the top corners of the stadium and use binoculars to see what the hell is going on down there. I live in Charlotte, go to 1 Panthers game a year and just scalp the seats we want on the sideline for one game.

And with outlets like ticketmaster, vivid seats, stub hub, etc why would I drop the $500+ in donations per seat for season tickets? I love Husker football but at some point there is a law of diminishing returns

I agree with this. IMO the sellout streak is not in jeopardy as long as those who set prices for seats and season tickets properly value their product against demand. If demand is slipping a little they need to reevaluate prices in relation to location in the stadium, and fan experience and amenities. They are already doing this, BTW. The WiFi is excellent, for example.

Also, I'm assuming you meant "Shell-out". (for the sell-out)

God bless stub hub and day of buying of tickets - last season I got several for half of face esp after hard losses.

If two or more people in a row of seats is five or more pounds overweight, it is problematic for everybody in that row to actually sit down at the same time. Parking is not good and is expensive, concessions are expensive, and half of the seats don't really offer that good a view. Not to mention, if one is used to watching a game on television with instant replays multiple camera angles. The only thing a game has to offer is (maybe) atmosphere of the crowd's roar.

I think every Nebraska fan should get to go to at least one football game, nobody should have to go twice.

I hope you never have to bear the horrendous tragedy of going to a professional sporting event in a major metro area. $10 parking and $5 drinks? Try $50 parking and $11 Bud Lights at an NFL game.

You know Memorial Stadium has an app where you can immediately DVR previous plays from all camera angles on your phone? It's a pretty nifty feature. Actually gives you more options than a cable/satellite provider.

And I like the (maybe) on the crowd noise atmosphere. Like in what scenario is that not a thing? If you are deaf?

I don't get a steady signal in the Stadium is there wifi or something you are using or is my carrier crap? (Verizon) Or just my phone is a pos?

There is Wifi in the entire stadium. Works pretty well from my seat.

Cell service and data will never work well, because you have 90,000 people converging on the same connection points, but they installed wifi in the stadium two offseasons ago and it works quite well.

Cell service and data will never work well, because you have 90,000 people converging on the same connection points, but they installed wifi in the stadium two offseasons ago and it works quite well.

Rather ingenious - they put the hubs onto the handrails.