Police Dispatch During Shootings in Dallas and other police topics

Why aren't white people outraged about white people being shot by police as much as they are?

Here is a chart from a Vox article.

police_shooting_by_race.0.png

So...there are one hell of a lot of white people being shot by police also.

VOX

I don't think we can make a case that White people are OK with being shot by cops - or anyone, for that matter.

The fact is, Whites are shot at a disproportionate rate when compared to Blacks, and that's the problem BLM is trying to address. They feel targeted by police because of their race.

In 2015, The Washington Post launched a real-time database to track fatal police shootings, and the project continues this year. As of Sunday, 1,502 people have been shot and killed by on-duty police officers since Jan. 1, 2015. Of them, 732 were white, and 381 were black (and 382 were of another or unknown race).

But as data scientists and policing experts often note, comparing how many or how often white people are killed by police to how many or how often black people are killed by the police is statistically dubious unless you first adjust for population.

According to the most recent census data, there are nearly 160 million more white people in America than there are black people. White people make up roughly 62 percent of the U.S. population but only about 49 percent of those who are killed by police officers. African Americans, however, account for 24 percent of those fatally shot and killed by the police despite being just 13 percent of the U.S. population. As The Post noted in a new analysis published last week, that means black Americans are 2.5 times as likely as white Americans to be shot and killed by police officers.

U.S. police officers have shot and killed the exact same number of unarmed white people as they have unarmed black people: 50 each. But because the white population is approximately five times larger as the black population, that means unarmed black Americans were five times as likely as unarmed white Americans to be shot and killed by a police officer.

I completely 100% agree with that and I don't have a problem with the BLM movement because I think the vast majority of them have a valid complaint and are trying to accomplish their goal peacefully.

My point is, why are so many white people all upset about the BLM movement instead of demanding white people not to be shot too?

In other words, should white people only be upset and demonstrate against it if at some point white people are shot disproportionately to blacks?

White people should be JOINING the movement to make changes across the board instead of sitting back thumbing their nose at the movement.

• Fire 1

I completely 100% agree with that and I don't have a problem with the BLM movement because I think the vast majority of them have a valid complaint and are trying to accomplish their goal peacefully.

My point is, why are so many white people all upset about the BLM movement instead of demanding white people not to be shot too?

In other words, should white people only be upset and demonstrate against it if at some point white people are shot disproportionately to blacks?

You mean like the protests for Dylan Noble?

White people should be JOINING the movement to make changes across the board instead of sitting back thumbing their nose at the movement.

Yes, we should. This is a race issue, but it isn't JUST a race issue. It's also a police brutality issue. I don't say that to imply that police as a whole are bad, but to say that we can all do better and save more lives.

Yes, we should. This is a race issue, but it isn't JUST a race issue. It's also a police brutality issue. I don't say that to imply that police as a whole are bad, but to say that we can all do better and save more lives.

That's how I feel. The vast majority are good as I have said in a number of posts. However there is room for improvement.

That...instead of so many white people I know making statements about the Black Lives Matter protests claiming they are dumb and they just need to shut up and go home.

• Fire 1

Same gun, same gun laws. Here are two distinct responses to a white vs black man open carrying. Not all police officers have to behavior in this discriminating manner for racial bias to be a problem in law enforcement. Personally, I am truly grantful to the service and sacrifice of our country's police forces. I am also motivated to see reforms in police recruitment and training to prevent unlawful treatment of individuals based on race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKGZnB41_e4

The first guy, 90% of his encounters do not go like that. Ive watched a lot of his videos on youtube. He even tells that cop at the end of the actual video that it was one of the best encounters hes had with police and he tells him that the officer did a great job.

The first guy, 90% of his encounters do not go like that. Ive watched a lot of his videos on youtube. He even tells that cop at the end of the actual video that it was one of the best encounters hes had with police and he tells him that the officer did a great job.

I would really love for a group to do a social experiment like this with a little bit more put into it than two anecdotal encounters, because I believe what that guy is saying, but at the same time there are a lot of videos on youtube of douchebag white dudes walking around with guns for the sole purpose of seeing what the police would do. The one with the black guy is the only one I've seen with a black guy, and with an officer reacting the way he did so far.

• Fire 1

That is a bad situation there too. Need to wait for full release of dash cam to gain full wisdom. I however heard that he made some mention that he was sick of his life, and kind of provoked the officers to shoot him?

That is a bad situation there too. Need to wait for full release of dash cam to gain full wisdom. I however heard that he made some mention that he was sick of his life, and kind of provoked the officers to shoot him?

I heard that, too. The family denies that he would have said that, but what else are they going to say? If that's true or untrue, they're still going to say something like that.

"Suicide by cop" is a real thing, a real problem cops face every day. It's a chickensh#t way out of life, and scars the cop who does the shooting. It's BS to put a cop (or anyone) in that position.

• Fire 2

Same gun, same gun laws. Here are two distinct responses to a white vs black man open carrying. Not all police officers have to behavior in this discriminating manner for racial bias to be a problem in law enforcement. Personally, I am truly grantful to the service and sacrifice of our country's police forces. I am also motivated to see reforms in police recruitment and training to prevent unlawful treatment of individuals based on race.

I actually think both guys walking down the street with an AR is friggen stupid and I have no problem with either way the cops acted. The black guy wasn't abused. He was handled professionally and nobody was harmed.

It's just plain idiotic to think that you can walk down the street in a city with an AR and not possibly have a cop react the way he did (white or black).

And if I remember correctly, its been awhile since I saw that actual video. The officer takes out his AR15 and lets the guy hold it.

And if I remember correctly, its been awhile since I saw that actual video. The officer takes out his AR15 and lets the guy hold it.

If so, that officer should be fired on the spot. Just handing a random civilian your weapon???

I don't know. I'm not even sure I can list policies from that era that need to be abandoned.

It's just a common theme for people to claim that we need to abandon policies from that era. :dunno

I remember Bill Clinton putting 100,000 more police on the streets to be tougher on crime. Other than that, I'm not sure what these statements mean.

The 'suprepredators' craze: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/02/26/why-hillary-clintons-super-predator-apology-is-such-a-big-moment-for-political-protest/

And almost certainly, there would be little written or said in daily campaign coverage about what that Clinton crime bill did. To be clear, it made the nation’s already-elevated incarceration rate far, far worse. It stripped those convicted of drug crimes of all sorts of post-prison help, including federal student loans, making recidivism all the more likely. And that’s just a quick list.

"Broken Windows" policing:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/article/the-problem-with-broken-windows-policing/

Stop & Frisk

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2013/08/13/heres-what-you-need-to-know-about-stop-and-frisk-and-why-the-courts-shut-it-down/

Broadly, I feel that going hard after crime is a feel-good resort, not a solution. And I think my views are simply gathered from an orthodoxy that has evolved:

http://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2013/08/16/212620886/the-shift-in-black-views-of-the-war-on-drugs

But eventually, even some of the staunchest supporters of mandatory minimums saw that these policies had badly backfired, in part because they lumped addicts and small-time dealers with drug kingpins and violent gang leaders. And they also consigned countless African-American men to prisons across the country.

I heard that, too. The family denies that he would have said that, but what else are they going to say? If that's true or untrue, they're still going to say something like that.

"Suicide by cop" is a real thing, a real problem cops face every day. It's a chickensh#t way out of life, and scars the cop who does the shooting. It's BS to put a cop (or anyone) in that position.

I agree +1.

The officers involved in such incidents are plagued with turmoil for a very long time, regardless if it met the reasonableness standard.

Last year, (I think it was last year) in Richmond Ohio, there was a man that wanted to die by doing what you stated above. Fortunately for both the suicidal individual and the officer, he did not discharge his service weapon.

The reason this stuck in my mind is I remember seeing the news and thought, "I am not sure I would have made that decision"? Bottom line is, if you make the wrong decision, it can cost you, your partner or innocent people their lives. I do not recall what the circumstances were that revolved in this situation.

I don't know. I'm not even sure I can list policies from that era that need to be abandoned.

It's just a common theme for people to claim that we need to abandon policies from that era. :dunno

I remember Bill Clinton putting 100,000 more police on the streets to be tougher on crime. Other than that, I'm not sure what these statements mean.

The 'suprepredators' craze: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/02/26/why-hillary-clintons-super-predator-apology-is-such-a-big-moment-for-political-protest/

And almost certainly, there would be little written or said in daily campaign coverage about what that Clinton crime bill did. To be clear, it made the nation’s already-elevated incarceration rate far, far worse. It stripped those convicted of drug crimes of all sorts of post-prison help, including federal student loans, making recidivism all the more likely. And that’s just a quick list.

"Broken Windows" policing:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/article/the-problem-with-broken-windows-policing/

Stop & Frisk

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2013/08/13/heres-what-you-need-to-know-about-stop-and-frisk-and-why-the-courts-shut-it-down/

Broadly, I feel that going hard after crime is a feel-good resort, not a solution. And I think my views are simply gathered from an orthodoxy that has evolved:

http://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2013/08/16/212620886/the-shift-in-black-views-of-the-war-on-drugs

But eventually, even some of the staunchest supporters of mandatory minimums saw that these policies had badly backfired, in part because they lumped addicts and small-time dealers with drug kingpins and violent gang leaders. And they also consigned countless African-American men to prisons across the country.

So....I'll go back to my original question. What do we do if we wipe all those out and violent crime goes back up?