Police Dispatch During Shootings in Dallas and other police topics

I was watching the show cops tonight and every person of race.. be it hispanic, black, whatever, continuously fought the police at every corner.. and not just a little bit. Just a constant barrage of hate and threats.

So, if Trump is being labeled as a person that is fostering hate, what does that make the likes of Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton?

Hey you guys, all of the non-White people on the show Cops continuously fight the police and make hateful/threatening remarks. This is so alarming I can't even fathom it. That must mean all non-Whites are racist and hateful toward cops! Surely the subjects of an episode of Cops are representative of their respective populations as a whole. Now let's pick the first two Black people we can think of and blame them for this!

Now let's not assume that the fact it's a show about Cops arresting people means these people are not exactly upstanding citizens, nor should we assume that the stuff that makes it on TV is the most controversial/entertaining. That'd just be crazy.

This is the post of the year right here.

Do you have a reading comprehension problem, or do you have an agenda? I clearly said "every person of race" (are whites no longer a race?) I then went on to say .."be it hispanic, black, whatever,"!

This did not in anyway exclude whites!!

lol. You specifically mentioned Hispanics, Blacks, Jesse James, and Al Sharpton.

So, because I didn't list out every race then I'm being racist, even though I mentioned every race? Yes, I mentioned Jesse and Al because they are two specific cases of two very outspoken critics of the police and are spreading hate.

Is this the liberal mindset? Trump is spreading hate (according to the liberals) and must be stopped, but Jesse and Al are ok? Who are also spreading hate..

You took this to another level (suggesting racism) because of your agenda.

Agendaagendaagenda. My "agenda" here is to point out that Cops subjects aren't representative of the population.

I also didn't say or try ro imply you were being racist. I assumed by your very suggestive wording that you were implying non-Whites hate cops.

Now to your comments that there is more hate in general - I don't disagree with that but I think the police are also getting a lot more love at the same time and regardless, using Cops as your evidence is amusing.

wouldn't that mean you thought I was being racist? You can find whatever you want as amusing, but cops fairly accurately depicts the feelings towards police officers, especially in the inner cities. That doesn't suggest ALL hate cops (which I never suggested in the first place), it just suggests the hate is growing.

Look at these protests.. You think a good portion are being peaceful, which maybe true, but often times they are still breaking the law. Like this girl here..

https://www.yahoo.com/news/everyone-talking-photo-protests-baton-093922109.html

They are making her out be to this serene young lady doing nothing wrong. Guess what? She is standing out in the middle of the street blocking traffic, ignoring a lawful order by the police to not block traffic.

These "protesters" believe they don't have to abide by the laws.

You're not really replying to anything I'm actually saying. I guess that's the trend in this topic.

People who block traffic should be immediately arrested.

But Cops absolutely does not show that the "hate is growing." The hate might very well be growing but Cops in no way can be used as evidence for it. If you want real evidence look into whether there are more attacks on cops now. I'm guessing there are, I'm just tired of people not understanding the difference between anecdotal evidence and tendencies and which one can actually be used to show anything. I'll argue it here and I'll argue it in the football forum and I'll argue it in the skin forum. I'm more interested in that than the actual topic.

I would like to see links to any time Obama has insinuated that specific cops in specific situations were guilty. All I can recall him addressing is the systemic problem that exists across our nation, that people may or may not correctly attribute to individual situations.

Ferguson is a great example. The Attorney General found that Darren Wilson was innocent and within the law in shooting Michael Brown, but it was also found out that there was a horrifying culture of systemic racial bias in the Ferguson police department. So while the protestors were wrong in propping up Michael Brown's death as a specific example of police brutality, they weren't wrong in their condemnation of what it represented to them, which was very real.

Here is a link to an article that begins to explain why so many feel, rightly or wrongly, that Obama is against cops.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/why-so-many-critics-of-president-obama-insist-that-he-hates-police-officers/ar-BBu6lLf?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=DELLDHP

I would like to see links to any time Obama has insinuated that specific cops in specific situations were guilty. All I can recall him addressing is the systemic problem that exists across our nation, that people may or may not correctly attribute to individual situations.

Ferguson is a great example. The Attorney General found that Darren Wilson was innocent and within the law in shooting Michael Brown, but it was also found out that there was a horrifying culture of systemic racial bias in the Ferguson police department. So while the protestors were wrong in propping up Michael Brown's death as a specific example of police brutality, they weren't wrong in their condemnation of what it represented to them, which was very real.

Here is a link to an article that begins to explain why so many feel, rightly or wrongly, that Obama is against cops.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/why-so-many-critics-of-president-obama-insist-that-he-hates-police-officers/ar-BBu6lLf?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=DELLDHP

That is the most tortured of paths to arrive at "Obama is against cops," founded entirely on the twisting of words from people like Rush Limbaugh & Rudy Giuliani who are politically opposed to the man.

This would be about the same as me using Red Dead Redemption as a character witness for JJHusker1. Doesn't seem like I'd get an unbiased opinion, does it?

The situations (facts) that revolve around the Minnesota shooting needs to play out before anyone should pass judgement!

BRI, thanks for putting on your uniform everyday to protect and serve, and I truly mean that. The job is a very under appreciated career path for those who have zero idea as to the inherant dangers from the perceived simplest of calls.

To all; Is there prejudices within various groups of law enforcement?

IMO, it would be totally ignorant of us to think that "all" law enforcement officers believe in equality the same. None of us are aware of the events that led up to this shooting, so passing judgement prematurely serves no purpose and feeds those who have different agendas, to promote hate/lack of respect, on one side of the isle or the other.

None of us, can sit here and pretend to know what escalated this stop, to become deadly. No one knows what was going on in the mind of either the shooting victim or the officer, and no one knows what communications took place prior to the video that we have seen to this point. Although I don't pretend to have any facts other than what we have all seen or heard via the media, I believe this event could have ended differently, if the officer would have requested the shooting victim to put both his hands outside the passenger window, that was obviously rolled down, keeping them in plain sight, until everything was secured. If this request was made and ignored, then I can see this escalating the tension. Also I am not sure if this officer had a partner with him in his unit or not, but if he did, and there was cause for concern, that other officer would have covered the driver while radioing for backup and the aforementioned actions were happening.

I listened to what I believe, was the recorded officer call into dispatch on this stop, and while I did not hear from start to finish, it appears that the stop was based on the individuals fitting the description of an earlier burglary or robbery, rather than a broken tail light. I believe the officer could have used a better description (choice of wording), in his call to dispatch, and that too will need to be scrutinized by the officials in Minnesota.

To close, my opinions do not suggest guilt on one side or the other, but I would also like to say I did not care for the comments made by an elected official, that automatically concluded that race played a part, in the outcome of the stop.

• Fire 3

I was watching the show cops tonight and every person of race.. be it hispanic, black, whatever, continuously fought the police at every corner.. and not just a little bit. Just a constant barrage of hate and threats.

So, if Trump is being labeled as a person that is fostering hate, what does that make the likes of Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton?

Hey you guys, all of the non-White people on the show Cops continuously fight the police and make hateful/threatening remarks. This is so alarming I can't even fathom it. That must mean all non-Whites are racist and hateful toward cops! Surely the subjects of an episode of Cops are representative of their respective populations as a whole. Now let's pick the first two Black people we can think of and blame them for this!

Now let's not assume that the fact it's a show about Cops arresting people means these people are not exactly upstanding citizens, nor should we assume that the stuff that makes it on TV is the most controversial/entertaining. That'd just be crazy.

Do you have a reading comprehension problem, or do you have an agenda? I clearly said "every person of race" (are whites no longer a race?) I then went on to say .."be it hispanic, black, whatever,"!

lol. You specifically mentioned Hispanics, Blacks, Jesse James, and Al Sharpton.

So, because I didn't list out every race then I'm being racist, even though I mentioned every race? Yes, I mentioned Jesse and Al because they are two specific cases of two very outspoken critics of the police and are spreading hate.

Is this the liberal mindset? Trump is spreading hate (according to the liberals) and must be stopped, but Jesse and Al are ok? Who are also spreading hate..

Agendaagendaagenda. My "agenda" here is to point out that Cops subjects aren't representative of the population.

I also didn't say or try ro imply you were being racist. I assumed by your very suggestive wording that you were implying non-Whites hate cops.

Now to your comments that there is more hate in general - I don't disagree with that but I think the police are also getting a lot more love at the same time and regardless, using Cops as your evidence is amusing.

wouldn't that mean you thought I was being racist? You can find whatever you want as amusing, but cops fairly accurately depicts the feelings towards police officers, especially in the inner cities. That doesn't suggest ALL hate cops (which I never suggested in the first place), it just suggests the hate is growing.

Look at these protests.. You think a good portion are being peaceful, which maybe true, but often times they are still breaking the law. Like this girl here..

They are making her out be to this serene young lady doing nothing wrong. Guess what? She is standing out in the middle of the street blocking traffic, ignoring a lawful order by the police to not block traffic.

You're not really replying to anything I'm actually saying. I guess that's the trend in this topic.

But Cops absolutely does not show that the "hate is growing." The hate might very well be growing but Cops in no way can be used as evidence for it. If you want real evidence look into whether there are more attacks on cops now. I'm guessing there are, I'm just tired of people not understanding the difference between anecdotal evidence and tendencies and which one can actually be used to show anything. I'll argue it here and I'll argue it in the football forum and I'll argue it in the skin forum. I'm more interested in that than the actual topic.

Sorry, I should have taken the bottom portion and put it into a different post.. starting at "Look at these protests.."

That said, I did reply to what you said, and COPS, regardless of entertainment value, can and does provide anecdotal evidence. Remember, I am not talking about a certain race, but overall growing hatred towards police.

Unless you think every part of COPS is staged, then it can be viewed as anecdotal. I'm sorry but you are not the sole arbitrator of anecdotal evidence. I fully understand what anecdotal evidence means,and your post is just a tad bit pompous.

EDIT: I never once said that the show COPS was 100% proof of anything.

So.... people think Obama is fanning the flames of racial tensions because he's met with #BLM, offered his condolences to families of young black men killed by police, and has interacted with people who cops don't like, or who don't like cops?
Not seeing anything of any substance in here. BTW, here's Obama's statement regarding Michael Brown, referenced in your link:
The death of Michael Brown is heartbreaking, and Michelle and I send our deepest condolences to his family and his community at this very difficult time. As Attorney General Holder has indicated, the Department of Justice is investigating the situation along with local officials, and they will continue to direct resources to the case as needed. I know the events of the past few days have prompted strong passions, but as details unfold, I urge everyone in Ferguson, Missouri, and across the country, to remember this young man through reflection and understanding. We should comfort each other and talk with one another in a way that heals, not in a way that wounds. Along with our prayers, that’s what Michael and his family, and our broader American community, deserve.

Here's his statement regarding the two deaths last week:
"All Americans should be deeply troubled by the fatal shootings of Alton Sterling in Baton Rouge, Louisiana and Philando Castile in Falcon Heights, Minnesota. We’ve seen such tragedies far too many times, and our hearts go out to the families and communities who’ve suffered such a painful loss. Although I am constrained in commenting on the particular facts of these cases, I am encouraged that the U.S. Department of Justice has opened a civil rights investigation in Baton Rouge, and I have full confidence in their professionalism and their ability to conduct a thoughtful, thorough, and fair inquiry.
"But regardless of the outcome of such investigations, what's clear is that these fatal shootings are not isolated incidents. They are symptomatic of the broader challenges within our criminal justice system, the racial disparities that appear across the system year after year, and the resulting lack of trust that exists between law enforcement and too many of the communities they serve.
"To admit we’ve got a serious problem in no way contradicts our respect and appreciation for the vast majority of police officers who put their lives on the line to protect us every single day. It is to say that, as a nation, we can and must do better to institute the best practices that reduce the appearance or reality of racial bias in law enforcement.
"That's why, two years ago, I set up a Task Force on 21st Century Policing that convened police officers, community leaders, and activists. Together, they came up with detailed recommendations on how to improve community policing. So even as officials continue to look into this week's tragic shootings, we also need communities to address the underlying fissures that lead to these incidents, and to implement those ideas that can make a difference. That's how we'll keep our communities safe. And that’s how we can start restoring confidence that all people in this great nation are equal before the law.
"In the meantime, all Americans should recognize the anger, frustration, and grief that so many Americans are feeling -- feelings that are being expressed in peaceful protests and vigils. Michelle and I share those feelings. Rather than fall into a predictable pattern of division and political posturing, let’s reflect on what we can do better. Let’s come together as a nation, and keep faith with one another, in order to ensure a future where all of our children know that their lives matter."

Here's his statement on the Dallas shootings:
“I spoke this morning with Mayor Rawlings of Dallas to convey the deepest condolences to the American people and that the Federal Government will provide whatever assistance Dallas may need as it deal with this tremendous tragedy.
We still don’t know all the facts. What we do know is that there’s been a vicious, calculated and despicable attack on law enforcement. Police in Dallas were on duty, doing their job, keeping people safe during a peaceful protest. These law enforcement officers were targeted, and nearly a dozen officers were shot, five were killed. Other officers and at least one civilian were wounded. Some are in serious conditions and we are praying for their recovery.
As I told Mayor Rawlings, and I believe that I speak for every single American when I say, that we are horrified over these events and that we stand united with people and the police department in Dallas.
According to police there are multiple suspects. We will learn more undoubtedly about their twisted motivations, but let’s be clear, there is no possible justification for these kinds of attacks. Grave violence against law enforcement. The FBI is already in touch with the Dallas police; anyone involved in these senseless murders will be held fully accountable. Justice will be done.
I will have more say about this when the facts become more clear. For now, let me just say that, even as yesterday I spoke about are need to be concerned as all Americans about racial disparities in our criminal justice system. I also said yesterday that our police have an extraordinarily difficult job and the vast majority of them do their job in outstanding fashion. I also indicated the degree in which we need to be supportive of those officers who do their job each and every day. Protecting us and protecting our communities. Today is a wrenching reminder of the sacrifices that they make for us. We also know that when people are armed with powerful weapons, it unfortunately make attacks like these more deadly and more tragic and in the days ahead consider those realities as well.
In the meantime, today, our focus is on the victims and their families. They are heartbroken and the entire city of Dallas is grieving. Police across America, which is a tight­knit family, feels this loss to their core and we’re grieving with them.
I ask Americans to say a prayer for these officers and their families. Keep them in your thoughts, and as a nation, let’s remember to express our profound gratitude to our men and women, not just today but every day.”

Here's his statement regarding the Eric Garner death:
"Some of you may have heard there was a decision that came out today by a grand jury not to indict police officers who had interacted with an individual with Eric Garner in New York City, all of which was caught on videotape and speaks to the larger issues that we’ve been talking about now for the last week, the last month, the last year, and, sadly, for decades, and that is the concern on the part of too many minority communities that law enforcement is not working with them and dealing with them in a fair way.
"And there’s going to be, I’m sure, additional statements by law enforcement. My tradition is not to remark on cases where there may still be an investigation. But I want everybody to understand that this week, in the wake of Ferguson, we initiated a task force whose job it is to come back to me with specific recommendations about how we strengthen the relationship between law enforcement and communities of color and minority communities that feel that bias is taking place; that we are going to take specific steps to improve the training and the work with state and local governments when it comes to policing in communities of color; that we are going to be scrupulous in investigating cases where we are concerned about the impartiality and accountability that’s taking place.
"And as I said when I met with folks both from Ferguson and law enforcement and clergy and civil rights activists, I said this is an issue that we’ve been dealing with for too long and it’s time for us to make more progress than we’ve made. And I’m not interested in talk; I’m interested in action. And I am absolutely committed as President of the United States to making sure that we have a country in which everybody believes in the core principle that we are equal under the law.
"So I just got off the phone with my Attorney General, Eric Holder. He will have more specific comments about the case in New York. But I want everybody to know here, as well as everybody who may be viewing my remarks here today, we are not going to let up until we see a strengthening of the trust and a strengthening of the accountability that exists between our communities and our law enforcement.
"And I say that as somebody who believes that law enforcement has an incredibly difficult job; that every man or woman in uniform are putting their lives at risk to protect us; that they have the right to come home, just like we do from our jobs; that there’s real crime out there that they’ve got to tackle day in and day out -- but that they’re only going to be able to do their job effectively if everybody has confidence in the system.
"And right now, unfortunately, we are seeing too many instances where people just do not have confidence that folks are being treated fairly. And in some cases, those may be misperceptions; but in some cases, that’s a reality. And it is incumbent upon all of us, as Americans, regardless of race, region, faith, that we recognize this is an American problem, and not just a black problem or a brown problem or a Native American problem."

• Fire 2

It also doesn't help my opinion of these protests when so often they devolve into rioting and looting and criminal behavior. That is not how you win hearts and minds to the cause.

How do you think you and I would have felt about the MLK-led movement and protests in the 60's? Honest question. He was non-violent, but there were plenty of opportunists that used those opportunities to cause mayhem in ways that him and the people following his lead didn't support. I'd guess the narratives often attributed the violence and riots to Dr. King.

That is impossible to give an honest answer to. We both know way too much about the civil rights movement of the 60's to be able to imagine what our individual reactions at the time would've been. Plus we both have grown up in post civil rights times, you moreso than me (I was born in 63 so am closer to it but was not very aware of it as a small child), so it is virtually impossible to know how we would've felt about it at the time when so much of what we now take for granted was not the standard. I like to think I would've been supportive of the movement in the 60's but that is as far as I can go with an honest answer. I do think the fact we went through that time as a country and have adopted civil rights changed the paradigm and that the current BLM movement cannot be viewed in the same light as what MLK did.

I'm sure you're right that the narrative then attributed violence and riots to MLK. But we know that there was blatant widespread institutional racism in those days. I'm not convinced that is the case today, in fact I'm pretty convinced that is not the case. For sure there are still some disadvantages for black people, and likely a bit of institutional bias contributing, but I think it is much more likely that these handful of unjustified shootings have relatively little to do with institutional racism even though a few of them may be because of individual racism on the part of an extremely small number of police officers. Not much can be done about that because some people will always be racist. That's just the nature of it. That doesn't mean we have to accept it but it also does more harm than good to attribute every occurrence to it. Anyway, that's how I view it.

So.... people think Obama is fanning the flames of racial tensions because he's met with #BLM, offered his condolences to families of young black men killed by police, and has interacted with people who cops don't like, or who don't like cops?
Not seeing anything of any substance in here. BTW, here's Obama's statement regarding Michael Brown, referenced in your link:
The death of Michael Brown is heartbreaking, and Michelle and I send our deepest condolences to his family and his community at this very difficult time. As Attorney General Holder has indicated, the Department of Justice is investigating the situation along with local officials, and they will continue to direct resources to the case as needed. I know the events of the past few days have prompted strong passions, but as details unfold, I urge everyone in Ferguson, Missouri, and across the country, to remember this young man through reflection and understanding. We should comfort each other and talk with one another in a way that heals, not in a way that wounds. Along with our prayers, that’s what Michael and his family, and our broader American community, deserve.

Here's his statement regarding the two deaths last week:
"All Americans should be deeply troubled by the fatal shootings of Alton Sterling in Baton Rouge, Louisiana and Philando Castile in Falcon Heights, Minnesota. We’ve seen such tragedies far too many times, and our hearts go out to the families and communities who’ve suffered such a painful loss. Although I am constrained in commenting on the particular facts of these cases, I am encouraged that the U.S. Department of Justice has opened a civil rights investigation in Baton Rouge, and I have full confidence in their professionalism and their ability to conduct a thoughtful, thorough, and fair inquiry.
"But regardless of the outcome of such investigations, what's clear is that these fatal shootings are not isolated incidents. They are symptomatic of the broader challenges within our criminal justice system, the racial disparities that appear across the system year after year, and the resulting lack of trust that exists between law enforcement and too many of the communities they serve.
"To admit we’ve got a serious problem in no way contradicts our respect and appreciation for the vast majority of police officers who put their lives on the line to protect us every single day. It is to say that, as a nation, we can and must do better to institute the best practices that reduce the appearance or reality of racial bias in law enforcement.
"That's why, two years ago, I set up a Task Force on 21st Century Policing that convened police officers, community leaders, and activists. Together, they came up with detailed recommendations on how to improve community policing. So even as officials continue to look into this week's tragic shootings, we also need communities to address the underlying fissures that lead to these incidents, and to implement those ideas that can make a difference. That's how we'll keep our communities safe. And that’s how we can start restoring confidence that all people in this great nation are equal before the law.
"In the meantime, all Americans should recognize the anger, frustration, and grief that so many Americans are feeling -- feelings that are being expressed in peaceful protests and vigils. Michelle and I share those feelings. Rather than fall into a predictable pattern of division and political posturing, let’s reflect on what we can do better. Let’s come together as a nation, and keep faith with one another, in order to ensure a future where all of our children know that their lives matter."

Here's his statement on the Dallas shootings:
“I spoke this morning with Mayor Rawlings of Dallas to convey the deepest condolences to the American people and that the Federal Government will provide whatever assistance Dallas may need as it deal with this tremendous tragedy.
We still don’t know all the facts. What we do know is that there’s been a vicious, calculated and despicable attack on law enforcement. Police in Dallas were on duty, doing their job, keeping people safe during a peaceful protest. These law enforcement officers were targeted, and nearly a dozen officers were shot, five were killed. Other officers and at least one civilian were wounded. Some are in serious conditions and we are praying for their recovery.
As I told Mayor Rawlings, and I believe that I speak for every single American when I say, that we are horrified over these events and that we stand united with people and the police department in Dallas.
According to police there are multiple suspects. We will learn more undoubtedly about their twisted motivations, but let’s be clear, there is no possible justification for these kinds of attacks. Grave violence against law enforcement. The FBI is already in touch with the Dallas police; anyone involved in these senseless murders will be held fully accountable. Justice will be done.
I will have more say about this when the facts become more clear. For now, let me just say that, even as yesterday I spoke about are need to be concerned as all Americans about racial disparities in our criminal justice system. I also said yesterday that our police have an extraordinarily difficult job and the vast majority of them do their job in outstanding fashion. I also indicated the degree in which we need to be supportive of those officers who do their job each and every day. Protecting us and protecting our communities. Today is a wrenching reminder of the sacrifices that they make for us. We also know that when people are armed with powerful weapons, it unfortunately make attacks like these more deadly and more tragic and in the days ahead consider those realities as well.
In the meantime, today, our focus is on the victims and their families. They are heartbroken and the entire city of Dallas is grieving. Police across America, which is a tight­knit family, feels this loss to their core and we’re grieving with them.
I ask Americans to say a prayer for these officers and their families. Keep them in your thoughts, and as a nation, let’s remember to express our profound gratitude to our men and women, not just today but every day.”

Here's his statement regarding the Eric Garner death:
"Some of you may have heard there was a decision that came out today by a grand jury not to indict police officers who had interacted with an individual with Eric Garner in New York City, all of which was caught on videotape and speaks to the larger issues that we’ve been talking about now for the last week, the last month, the last year, and, sadly, for decades, and that is the concern on the part of too many minority communities that law enforcement is not working with them and dealing with them in a fair way.
"And there’s going to be, I’m sure, additional statements by law enforcement. My tradition is not to remark on cases where there may still be an investigation. But I want everybody to understand that this week, in the wake of Ferguson, we initiated a task force whose job it is to come back to me with specific recommendations about how we strengthen the relationship between law enforcement and communities of color and minority communities that feel that bias is taking place; that we are going to take specific steps to improve the training and the work with state and local governments when it comes to policing in communities of color; that we are going to be scrupulous in investigating cases where we are concerned about the impartiality and accountability that’s taking place.
"And as I said when I met with folks both from Ferguson and law enforcement and clergy and civil rights activists, I said this is an issue that we’ve been dealing with for too long and it’s time for us to make more progress than we’ve made. And I’m not interested in talk; I’m interested in action. And I am absolutely committed as President of the United States to making sure that we have a country in which everybody believes in the core principle that we are equal under the law.
"So I just got off the phone with my Attorney General, Eric Holder. He will have more specific comments about the case in New York. But I want everybody to know here, as well as everybody who may be viewing my remarks here today, we are not going to let up until we see a strengthening of the trust and a strengthening of the accountability that exists between our communities and our law enforcement.
"And I say that as somebody who believes that law enforcement has an incredibly difficult job; that every man or woman in uniform are putting their lives at risk to protect us; that they have the right to come home, just like we do from our jobs; that there’s real crime out there that they’ve got to tackle day in and day out -- but that they’re only going to be able to do their job effectively if everybody has confidence in the system.
"And right now, unfortunately, we are seeing too many instances where people just do not have confidence that folks are being treated fairly. And in some cases, those may be misperceptions; but in some cases, that’s a reality. And it is incumbent upon all of us, as Americans, regardless of race, region, faith, that we recognize this is an American problem, and not just a black problem or a brown problem or a Native American problem."

I only posted that link because it was relevant and timely. I did not say I agreed with it. It simply popped up as a news item on my home screen this morning. I felt it was relevant because it helps explain why some people may feel that way. I'm sure most of those feelings are due to partisan politics more than any real animosity by Obama towards cops. But, I do believe the President of the US needs to carefully weigh his words in those situations, especially in times like this when the country is so split. Maybe that isn't right to expect, and likely it wouldn't matter what he actually said to many people, but perception is almost the same thing as reality on an issue this sensitive. Unfortunately a large portion of the country will take anything he says the wrong way and yet others will never find anything wrong with what he says.

I'm not convinced that is the case today, in fact I'm pretty convinced that is not the case.

Wait, of course this is the case today.

Yes, it's a little less overt and a little less big of an issue than the 1960s; after all, those victories do not count for nothing. The same analogy is true for the 1960s versus the 1860s.

For example: you and I will never have a problem with police; we grew up with the idea that they were there to help. Much of that is thanks to the fact that we did not grow up black in America. Our parents will never have to tell us to take extra precautions, or we'll get killed by policemen. And we've never lived with the knowledge that if we are killed by a policeman, we live in a country that will largely shrug and applaud when the officer is almost certainly exonerated. We would never have trouble apartment hunting. Etc, etc, etc. If there's one thing that should have been brought to the fore in this election cycle, it's that racism is extraordinarily alive and well.

A conservative writer for a site I can't remember put it well when he described it as the inevitable "negative externalities" of feeling like you're living under occupation, and not as an equal part of the community. The weight of indifference is powerful and crushing. The response to that is a protest movement.

• Fire 3

Sorry, I should have taken the bottom portion and put it into a different post.. starting at "Look at these protests.."

That said, I did reply to what you said, and COPS, regardless of entertainment value, can and does provide anecdotal evidence. Remember, I am not talking about a certain race, but overall growing hatred towards police.

Unless you think every part of COPS is staged, then it can be viewed as anecdotal. I'm sorry but you are not the sole arbitrator of anecdotal evidence. I fully understand what anecdotal evidence means,and your post is just a tad bit pompous.

EDIT: I never once said that the show COPS was 100% proof of anything.

To the bolded: Exactly.

You said COPS shows that there's more hatred towards the police. But it's only anecdotal evidence, which means almost nothing. If you know what anecdotal evidence is, you shouldn't be using it the way you're using it.

but perception is almost the same thing as reality on an issue this sensitive. Unfortunately a large portion of the country will take anything he says the wrong way and yet others will never find anything wrong with what he says.

kind of like #BlackLivesMatter...

That is the most tortured of paths to arrive at "Obama is against cops," founded entirely on the twisting of words from people like Rush Limbaugh & Rudy Giuliani who are politically opposed to the man.

This would be about the same as me using Red Dead Redemption as a character witness for JJHusker1. Doesn't seem like I'd get an unbiased opinion, does it?

Please see my reply to LOMS, post #100

I'm not convinced that is the case today, in fact I'm pretty convinced that is not the case.

Wait, of course this is the case today.

Yes, it's a little less overt and a little less big of an issue than the 1960s; after all, those victories do not count for nothing. The same analogy is true for the 1960s versus the 1860s.

For example: you and I will never have a problem with police; we grew up with the idea that they were there to help. Much of that is thanks to the fact that we did not grow up black in America. Our parents will never have to tell us to take extra precautions, or we'll get killed by policemen. And we've never lived with the knowledge that if we are killed by a policeman, we live in a country that will largely shrug and applaud when the officer is almost certainly exonerated. We would never have trouble apartment hunting. Etc, etc, etc. If there's one thing that should have been brought to the fore in this election cycle, it's that racism is extraordinarily alive and well.

A conservative writer for a site I can't remember put it well when he described it as the inevitable "negative externalities" of feeling like you're living under occupation, and not as an equal part of the community. The weight of indifference is powerful and crushing. The response to that is a protest movement.

I have conceded that there is still some latent bias in the system but yes, the environment is generally much, much better than in the 60's for obvious reasons.

I disagree with the blanket statement that you and I will never have a problem with police simply because we are white or not black. I don't know about you but, on the rare occasion I am pulled over for some sort of traffic violation, I am extremely careful to keep my hands in sight and to not inflame the situation through my words or actions. I don't do that just to be an ass kisser with the hopes of getting off but rather because I realize the men and women in blue do not know who they are approaching and, if I were in their shoes, I would be extremely leery of anyone in any situation, in any location. There is way too much crap that goes on this world to take anything for granted. I realize they undergo exhaustive training to deal with those types of situations but I also realize one of their dominate forces must be to see that they go home at the end of their shift.

And thanks for picking out that sentence only while leaving out where I acknowledged that there are still some problems and then going on to explain that racism is extraordinarily alive and well. How should I take that? I'll give you the benefit of the doubt but I'm not 100% sure that wasn't aimed in my direction.

I'm simply trying to explain that I don't think BLM is helping the cause much, if that cause is to do away with residual race bias issues. I think there are better ways to go about it than the ones we typically see on the nightly news. And I realize that we are not seeing the majority of completely peaceful protests and marches. I mean those aren't news worthy and don't drive ratings, do they? And that is partially what I mean about perception being reality. If the only insight into BLM some people have is protests turning violent, riots, looting, and police officers being attacked how do you think most people will take that? You and I may choose to look further but I don't give the majority of our fellow citizens that much credit. That approach may have been warranted in the 60's, I don't think it is helpful today.