Police Dispatch During Shootings in Dallas and other police topics

I'm not convinced that is the case today, in fact I'm pretty convinced that is not the case.

Wait, of course this is the case today.

Yes, it's a little less overt and a little less big of an issue than the 1960s; after all, those victories do not count for nothing. The same analogy is true for the 1960s versus the 1860s.

For example: you and I will never have a problem with police; we grew up with the idea that they were there to help. Much of that is thanks to the fact that we did not grow up black in America. Our parents will never have to tell us to take extra precautions, or we'll get killed by policemen. And we've never lived with the knowledge that if we are killed by a policeman, we live in a country that will largely shrug and applaud when the officer is almost certainly exonerated. We would never have trouble apartment hunting. Etc, etc, etc. If there's one thing that should have been brought to the fore in this election cycle, it's that racism is extraordinarily alive and well.

A conservative writer for a site I can't remember put it well when he described it as the inevitable "negative externalities" of feeling like you're living under occupation, and not as an equal part of the community. The weight of indifference is powerful and crushing. The response to that is a protest movement.

I disagree with this statement also. I personally have had problems with a police officer who didn't follow the rules and was out to make a point with his actions. Now, obviously, I'm still here so it didn't go as far as him shooting me.

But....yes....white people have problems with police also.

We don't have the same situation with police. Period. There is no equivalency, and that has to be acknowledged.

My point about racism is not about you; it's that it's now clearly out in the open. Not in "some", "small", "residual" way. In a huge, every day life way. It shouldn't be marginalized. The fact that it does get marginalized and denied is a part of the problem. In the face of all this injustice, what should people do if not protest? Shut up and be quiet about it?

I don't know why you have the impression that BLM is a violent movement. That's the opposite of my impression.

As for the universally condemned violence -- those people are criminals, first of all. But look, the country at large plainly does not think that their lives matter. This is borne out by evidence and again with every "All Lives Matter, so sit down" retort. When people feel that they are oppressed to the point of being killed without justice or even care, some of them will resort to violence. The obvious answer, I think, is to fix the situation. And acknowledging that it even exists is a start.

• Fire 1

I disagree with this statement also. I personally have had problems with a police officer who didn't follow the rules and was out to make a point with his actions. Now, obviously, I'm still here so it didn't go as far as him shooting me.

Can we include Military Police? I've had a few run ins with them.

We don't have the same situation with police. Period. There is no equivalency, and that has to be acknowledged.
My point about racism is not about you; it's that it's now clearly out in the open. Not in "some", "small", "residual" way. In a huge, every day life way. It shouldn't be marginalized. The fact that it does get marginalized and denied is a part of the problem. In the face of all this injustice, what should people do if not protest? Shut up and be quiet about it?
I don't know why you have the impression that BLM is a violent movement. That's the opposite of my impression.
As for the universally condemned violence -- those people are criminals, first of all. But look, the country at large plainly does not think that their lives matter. This is borne out by evidence and again with every "All Lives Matter, so sit down" retort. When people feel that they are oppressed to the point of being killed without justice or even care, some of them will resort to violence. The obvious answer, I think, is to fix the situation. And acknowledging that it even exists is a start.

I am not marginalizing anything. I think people should protest. When in a discussion with someone who rants about how ridiculous the demonstrations are, I simply ask, what would you do if your kid moved to Oklahoma and he was pulled over because he has a Nebraska license plate and shot and killed for no reason. THEN, you find not that actually, this happens quite often with people in Oklahoma who have Nebraska license plates. Would you simply shrug it off and say.."oh darn it"? Heck no, you would be outraged and demand people to be held accountable and changes to be made so it didn't happen again. Now, what if after your demonstrations, the shooting of Nebraska people continued?

My post above simply stated that white people do have problems with police. I was arrested by a guy who had a chip on his shoulder and thrown in jail till my wife bailed me out. 6 months later, my lawyer finally proved the guy violated many rules for his job along with the original reason he pulled me over.

So....saying white people just will never understand.....well....I feel deeply for these people because even as a white man, I have come under the same situation. It's outrageous what some police officers think they have the power to do and it needs to change.

• Fire 1

I personally think this because a racial issue where so many white people dismiss it because it's only focusing on actions against blacks. Ignorant whit people then make up all these excuses or point fingers in the situation.

Well.....let's point out that abuses of power with police goes beyond just black people and affects everybody. And...while doing so, point out how outrageous it is where these black people are actually getting shot and killed fro no reason.

THAT'S how you get the majority of people on board with this.

• Fire 1

I'm not convinced that is the case today, in fact I'm pretty convinced that is not the case.

Wait, of course this is the case today.

Yes, it's a little less overt and a little less big of an issue than the 1960s; after all, those victories do not count for nothing. The same analogy is true for the 1960s versus the 1860s.

For example: you and I will never have a problem with police; we grew up with the idea that they were there to help. Much of that is thanks to the fact that we did not grow up black in America. Our parents will never have to tell us to take extra precautions, or we'll get killed by policemen. And we've never lived with the knowledge that if we are killed by a policeman, we live in a country that will largely shrug and applaud when the officer is almost certainly exonerated. We would never have trouble apartment hunting. Etc, etc, etc. If there's one thing that should have been brought to the fore in this election cycle, it's that racism is extraordinarily alive and well.

A conservative writer for a site I can't remember put it well when he described it as the inevitable "negative externalities" of feeling like you're living under occupation, and not as an equal part of the community. The weight of indifference is powerful and crushing. The response to that is a protest movement.

I'm sorry, this is the B.S. I'm talking about, follow commands and you'll be fine. You aren't going to get killed just because you're black, that's an excuse and a weak one at that IMO. I'm not scared of black people, I'm not nervous around black people, and I'm not easily intimidated by anyone. I get tired of some people immediately making the excuse that I'm talking to them because they're a certain race. No, I'm not, I'm talking to you because you're apparently acting like an idiot and/or breaking the law and someone called and don't think you corner the market on being stupid with your jaded views of how you think I'm perceiving things. It's a disease that affects every race so you don't get to be selfish with it, but it does provide job security as it will always exist.

I'd also say in 15 years of doing this, I've fought with WAY more white people than I have any other race and that includes my stint in corrections. I've pointed my weapon at several people of all races, but more largely white people, you have a gun I tend to pay a little more attention to you, don't be stupid and I won't respond with mine, it's a pretty simple process, follow it and we'll get along fine, that doesn't mean you won't end up in jail for something. Break the law and that's what happens, don't and you won't..........most of the time, yes there are ****heads that will abuse their authority, screw those guys, just because you can do something doesn't always mean you should do something.

We have a stupid problem in this country and a lack of responsibility problem in this country. Everyone wants to blame someone else for their problems and wants someone else to fix it. Have the drive to fix it yourself and have the perspective to see how you got yourself into a certain situation and figure out how to get out of it. Quit using your race or your situation to make excuses as to why you can't do something. Because there are plenty of people out there of all races that have brought themselves out of the pit of hell to do the things they wanted to do and to have a good life because of it. I've got respect for those people, I don't have respect for people who hold their hands out while pointing the finger blaming someone else for their situation. And before you think you know my situation and try to judge, just stop, because you don't, I could've VERY easily went down the wrong road and almost did.

• Fire 2

Can we include Military Police? I've had a few run ins with them.

If you served in the military and didn't you were doing it wrong! :lol:

What zoogs is saying is that White people do not have a problem with police BECAUSE THEY ARE WHITE. Blacks sometimes do, as do Hispanics and other minorities.

You're going to have your run-ins with the police if they're having a bad day (unlikely reason), or you're being an ass (more likely). It's best to be polite, calm & helpful when you have police contact. Police are human and have bad days, too. But as a White person in America, you're less likely to have police contact than as a minority. This is statistically proven, it is not a slam on cops, it is just how it is.

• Fire 3

And these two statements are exactly why we have different opinions on the matter.

I couldn't disagree more strenuously with that first sentence. I don't make the assumption that police are going to treat a black man different than anyone else. You do. I don't acknowledge it. I assume that police are going to operate with their personal safety foremost in their mind. I know a few police officers, one or two very well, and that job will jade the best among us. They deal with absolute sh#t everyday. I don't fault some of them for having an attitude when dealing with people. They see the worst of society on a daily basis. I absolutely do not think I am going to get any kind of pass from them (unless it's one of my buddies) just because I happen to be white.

I don't necessarily think BLM is a violent movement per se. I think they are perceived to be a violent movement by a large percentage of people, and rightly so. I can't blame people for thinking that when what they see on the nightly news is protests turned violent, people overturning vehicles, breaking windows, starting fires, blocking traffic, attacking police officers, tearing down the very communities they say they are trying to help. Really? You can't see how BLM can give off the impression of a violent movement? That's just crazy.

The difference is likely that you expect racism to be at the forefront of any problem and I simply acknowledge that it could be racism but I wait for proof of it first.

What zoogs is saying is that White people do not have a problem with police BECAUSE THEY ARE WHITE. Blacks sometimes do, as do Hispanics and other minorities.

You're going to have your run-ins with the police if they're having a bad day (unlikely reason), or you're being an ass (more likely). It's best to be polite, calm & helpful when you have police contact. Police are human and have bad days, too. But as a White person in America, you're less likely to have police contact than as a minority. This is statistically proven, it is not a slam on cops, it is just how it is.

And who's fault is that? The police or the person the police are dealing with?

Thanks, knapplc :D

I'm sorry, this is the B.S.

If I were black, I'd have The Conversation with my kids. No BS. Just a fact of life that they're more at risk of having their lives ruined, or ended.

I'm not saying police are racist people; that would miss the boat completely (I read somewhere that put it best, 'The only right answer is to be *both* pro-police and pro-BLM'). If any of us who aren't black woke up tomorrow and were, with all else being equal, our lives would have changed for the worse in a number of ways. It's reality. And it shouldn't be.

I'm curious to see some arguments justifying why BLM should rightly be regarded as a violent movement. If white people had the station of black people in this country, they would be furious, too -- justifiably.

The difference is likely that you expect racism to be at the forefront of any problem and I simply acknowledge that it could be racism but I wait for proof of it first.

The difference is you're either unaware of or ignoring the stats. zoogs isn't presuming racism, he's knowledgeable of statistics.

The crazy thing is, you're fully on board with the idea that Black Lives Matter isn't violent, but is PERCEIVED TO BE violent, yet you're completely unaware or not cognizant of the perception that minorities have when it comes to police contact.

Minorities are contacted by police, have more violent run-ins with police, and are killed by police at a vastly disproportionate rate per capita compared to Whites.

That doesn't mean the cops are at fault. But it's a basic stat, and everyone knows that - especially the minority. That taints the interaction they have with cops, sometimes because of their perception and sometimes because of the cops' perception.

• Fire 1

I'm sorry, this is the B.S. I'm talking about, follow commands and you'll be fine.

But what if you don't follow commands exactly, or if the commands are unlawful?

I know my own bias would absolutely give more leniency, caution and trust to a clean cut, well-dressed white male reaching for his pocket that I can't see than it would to a POC in baggy pants, a hoodie and cornrows.

I think that's what most of these instances come down to. Your argument, and the argument of many, is, "Well they'd be alive if they just followed instruction", but I think a legitimate counter to that is that certain demographics of people get away with not following instructions from the police all the time without fear of getting shot, because the police don't fear them.

You don't really catch many pictures like this involving minorities:

%25255BUNSET%25255D.png

BN-DB564_Target_P_20140603155016_zps355f

opencarrycoloradosprings630.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

This video is obviously not the most bias-free, or the most scientific, but the drastic difference in responses isn't imaginary:

Events and details below have not been verified. nor am I sold on media reports, so take the details for what they are. Unproven speculations.

1. The video that was made by Ms. Reynolds, does not show the 4 year old in the back seat of the car and when she was removed from the car, the child is already in the arms of another officer.

2. I stated earlier that if there was a partner there with the officer involved in the shooting, that he would have been able to cover the driver, while other issues were being dealt with. I have to admit that this is the way the video appeared, only to learn that the video was a mirrored image (face book does this, why?) I got from an article, I do not have face book, nor do I want face book. That is why it appears that she would have been behind the wheel.

3. The shooting victim, was said to have a CCP, but this is still in question as far as what I have read, but some are saying he may have had a permit to acquire but nothing within the County with regards to a permit to carry. They are now checking with other counties to see if he acquired at a previous address.

4. The dash cam was operating during the stop, so the missing parts (some additional details) should come to light and released

There is also reports that state that Reynolds was seen in a video smoking a blunt while in the company of her 4 year old child at a 4th of July event.

Don't be crawling up my butt thinking I am putting this all out here because I think the shooting was justified, but rather just relaying details I as have come across them. Again, if the officer involved was wrong, then he needs to be held accountable.

And who's fault is that? The police or the person the police are dealing with?

I already said whose fault it is in that post. It's sometimes the cop, more often the person being contacted, and sometimes it's a mixture of both.