Pokemon Go: Teenager shot and killed while searching for creatures in game

By Andrew Griffin @_andrew_griffin 11 hours ago

'He was already in bed when his cousin sent him a message asking him to go out and download a game a few blocks from the house,' Jerson Lopez de Leon's mother said
I imagine the kid was killed for reasons other than Pokemon. Probably drugs or gang related. Sad stuff. :dunno:

Sad that these things have to happen. This is such a good idea. Too many damn idiots in this country that only think about evil things.

Looks like I'm not missing out on anything important

Oh you're missing out buster. Big time missing out.

JJ, I never took you for a guy that would play this. I LOL'd pretty hard at this comment. Good for you.

It is a bit out of character for me. I just happened to be fairly familiar with Pokémon from when my now 22 year old son was 8 to 12ish. He always wanted to watch the Pokémon cartoons on TV and he collected the cards hard. (Read as-his parents spent a buttload of $$'s on cards) I would take him to battle at the local game shop on weekends sometimes. Since I was going to be sitting there with nothing to do, I also built a couple decks and did a little battling myself. Now I like it because it gives me an excuse to get out and walk around the neighborhood and get a little exercise. Plus, I feel a little more "with it" since I'm involved in the latest thing. It gives me something to talk to the young'uns about. The thing I don't like is how fast it drains my battery. You should give it a try.

I also play Clash of Clans (but not nearly as dedicated anymore). My son got me involved with that too.... If it weren't for my kids I'd probably be sippin lemonade on the front porch and yelling at kids to stay off my lawn. ha

• Fire 1

LOMS, you want to give me a quick pep talk as to why I should play?

If you were within the age range of the original Gameboy games coming out, or when the trading cards took over schools, it's a really fun callback towards something that you'd be surprised how much you remember.

If not, I know some people who still play it who were never into Pokemon but I'm sure it'd be tougher to get into. It's basically like any other good phone game, it gives incentives and rewards to keep gaining experience and leveling up, but it also uses some cool little augmented reality bits, and encourages exercise and social interaction. Any rare-ish pokemon aren't going to be found wherever you're plopped down, you'll have to go search, as well as walk to hatch Pokemon eggs, and often at parks and public places you get a lot of people from all ages getting together and showing others where they found certain things.

Important note though, I don't know how enjoyable it is in smaller/more rural areas. Playing in Chicago is a luxury because there's people and stops everywhere.

Not sure but I would guess that in less populated areas that maybe they make up for a lack of density and rare finds through the egg hatching process. I know most that I've hatched so far (Tentacool, Krabby, Jigglypuff, Kakuna, Weepinbell, Venomoth...) have been ones that I haven't seen around to capture. Greeley isn't extremely rural (about 100,00) but I have noticed that some parts of town are pretty sparse while others (the downtown area etc.) are loaded with poke stops, gyms and more Pokemon. I've also noticed that the CP seems to be increasing on caught Pokémon. Sure there's still some low level ones but am seeing way more over 100 or 200 CP.

I'm only level 11 with my strongest being a 433 Primeape and 424 Ponyta, Only have 14 over 200CP. Currently have about 42 different Pokémon with 39 seen and 40 captured but I'm not sure what that tells me because I've caught a whole bunch more and transferred a boatload to the professor. Still haven't done a gym battle yet.

Is there a reason to capture multiple pidgeys and the such?

Ideally you want to catch as many pokemon as you can whenever you can. The extra ones you can transfer to Professor Willow for candies, which you need to evolve that specific Pokemon, and you also get experience for evolving them. Pidgeys and Weedles are the best for evolution experience - 12 candies each, so basically if you catch a crap ton, you can evolve like 20 Pidgeottos and get 500XP for each one, then transfer them away for more candy, and keep repeating the process.

LOMS out of curiosity what level where you when you saw that Blastoise? Also, to add on to LOMS' statement about evolving Pidgeys and Weedles, if you have a lucky egg, use that to double your exp. Also try to hold off on evolving a pokemon like say PIdgey->Pideotto->PIdeot until you do your mass evolving with a lucky egg, as 'new' pokemon that aren't in your pokedex are also worth 500xp. It can really make your early grind go by a lot faster especially if you don't play very often.

As to the whole small town issue I brought up, the towns I'm speaking of are in the ~400-1,500 range. It's just a shame in ways because I heard some types of pokemon are more likely to spawn in parks or at golf courses but nothing spawns in those areas. Question. Are the dark green areas on the map supposed to be parks?

The dark green areas, if you see grass rustling from them, are just supposed to signify 'wild grass', the likes of which made you susceptible to random encounters in the original Pokemon games.

I was LVL 19 when the Blastoise showed up. The higher your level gets, the more powerful and the more rare Pokemon you start to see. Pretty smart development decision to keep players interested as the grind starts to get worse. Every level after 20 adds another 25,000 needed experience to level up :|

Looks like I'm not missing out on anything important

Oh you're missing out buster. Big time missing out.
JJ, I never took you for a guy that would play this. I LOL'd pretty hard at this comment. Good for you.
It is a bit out of character for me. I just happened to be fairly familiar with Pokémon from when my now 22 year old son was 8 to 12ish. He always wanted to watch the Pokémon cartoons on TV and he collected the cards hard. (Read as-his parents spent a buttload of $$'s on cards) I would take him to battle at the local game shop on weekends sometimes. Since I was going to be sitting there with nothing to do, I also built a couple decks and did a little battling myself. Now I like it because it gives me an excuse to get out and walk around the neighborhood and get a little exercise. Plus, I feel a little more "with it" since I'm involved in the latest thing. It gives me something to talk to the young'uns about. The thing I don't like is how fast it drains my battery. You should give it a try.

I also play Clash of Clans (but not nearly as dedicated anymore). My son got me involved with that too.... If it weren't for my kids I'd probably be sippin lemonade on the front porch and yelling at kids to stay off my lawn. ha

You're a cool dude JJ.

• Fire 2