Where do you stand?

Our Staff  

127 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I stand for:

Playing fundamentally sound football

Winning the most football games

Recruiting the best players

Hiring the best coaches

None of those things happened last year. I don't know the future and neither does anyone else.

So because where I stand is not represented in the answers... I did not respond.

As for the "poll". It's not a poll. It's just arguing "bait" by the person who made it up... as shown by the fact that the person who made it up is now arguing with people about their responses. It's not a poll... it's means nothing and shows nothing... it's just arguing bait.

Crabby.

Nope... just being honest.

Not arguing bait at all.

The person that made the poll up (me) didn't want to argue in this thread period and I'm not going to. cm just has a tendency to disagree with everything I post then demands I show him proof, nothing new.

Sorry you felt slighted by the poll, I feel super bad.

You don't need to make excuses, Redux. It was a fair poll and directive.

If anything, the data shows us the vast majority of Husker fans, at least those represented on the board, agree the program is going in positive direction.

• Fire 1

I stand for:

Playing fundamentally sound football

Winning the most football games

Recruiting the best players

Hiring the best coaches

None of those things happened last year. I don't know the future and neither does anyone else.

So because where I stand is not represented in the answers... I did not respond.

As for the "poll". It's not a poll. It's just arguing "bait" by the person who made it up... as shown by the fact that the person who made it up is now arguing with people about their responses. It's not a poll... it's means nothing and shows nothing... it's just arguing bait.

Crabby.

Nope... just being honest.

Not arguing bait at all.

The person that made the poll up (me) didn't want to argue in this thread period and I'm not going to. cm just has a tendency to disagree with everything I post then demands I show him proof, nothing new.

Sorry you felt slighted by the poll, I feel super bad.

You don't need to make excuses, Redux. It was a fair poll and directive.

If anything, the data shows us the vast majority of Husker fans, at least those represented on the board, agree the program is going in positive direction.

Actually, the current leader is an example of how the poll is not informative because it combines "Like them. It's refreshing to see an uptick in recruiting and morale. Futures bright " under one option.

It's unclear if a responder voted for that option because they "like the staff", are feeling "refreshed" for one or both reasons, they feel the future is bright, or some combination of these responses.

More likely, it's because they aren't "indifferent." (fairer option, for example, would have been "neutral" which has less of a negative connotation).

As far as trolling, I still don't know why it's necessary for some to constantly assess their happiness with this staff by comparing it to how they feel about the old staff ... well, I do know why, and it's nonsensical.

On a side note, has a poll about Husker football at any time ever not come down to a 80/20 split? Maybe the polls conducted in the immediate aftermath of the three most recent firings, with two being closer to 50/50 and one being 99.9999/.0001?

It seems almost impossible, but it seems to be a statistical consistency.

This staff has checked all the boxes for me except the wins. But it wouldn't be fair of me to ask them to win last year. They took over a very upset team that had been loyal to Bo and was mad when he was let go. They came in and changed the offense and defense to something opposite of what they had before. They were trying to get guys to buy into what Pelini preached against defensively. Offensively the team was built to run with some play action pass and zone read... Riley's expertise and system is built around the pass and the Large pro style QB. Everything Riley and Banker do is opposite what Beck and Pelini did. When a team is outfitted with players for Pelini's system, you don't come in year one and win 12 games. He needs 3-4 years with his guys in his system before we can hold him to a ranked competing team. This year should be better than last, but I don't expect more than 8-9 wins.

• Fire 1

No one asked for 12 wins - that said, 6 was a failure, especially when it includes giving up 50+ points in a loss to Purdue.

8 wins this year would be a failure.

Good coaches come in and win immediately all of the time. That's what good coaches do. Regardless of what they inherit, let alone when they inherit a consistent .700 winner with the most talented roster in its division.

Re: the wording of poll options, I would have picked the most popular option if it simply stated: "I like the new staff"

I don't find any particular thing about recruiting or morale to be unusual or "refreshing" so I wouldn't have chosen it on that point.

I think the future is murky at best. I'd be surprised if we win less than 9 games or more than 10 games this year. I could see NU getting back to the .700 standard under Riley in this division, but I don't foresee a championship before he retires in 5-10 years - only a handful of coaches coach past 65 Mike is already 63, though apparently a healthy 63.

I have no idea where NU goes after that. Probably another external hire as I don't readily see an heir on this staff today. Hopefully Frost?

• Fire 2

I like Riley very much and I enjoy his candor and willingness to tell it like he really sees it. At least that is my impression. He doesn't spit out a bunch of generalities and vague indications of 'poor execution' and little details. I tend to agree with most of his comments and critical explanations of what did and did not happen in the course of the games and with our team's play. As with everyone else, I am very disappointed in the win/loss record in year one but I reiterate my optimism for year 2. Ten wins seems very doable and maybe more. Of course, injuries to about three or four of the key players, could be fatal. I had hoped we would be hearing more positive news about the younger QBs as I am more concerned about Armstrong's going down and out with a bad injury than anybody else I suppose. This would lead me as a coach to be extra careful to avoid getting him hurt. Sadly, we need to have Tommy playing full speed, full tilt using his arm and more importantly his legs and brain correctly to win that many. We are not deep enough to make a run without getting some good luck. I feel we are due for a run of good luck as it seems the last several years were 'bad luck' filled.

For the staff, I am less confident and do not feel all that comfortable in giving them either ringing endorsements or negative marks. I think we need more time to see what the do well and what they do not so well.

Overall, I am very pleased with the publicity and image we have presented with this group. I am looking for more in 2016.

I personally think we are doomed, but I am just fine being in the minority on this one and hope I am wrong. Riley has done great things for the program's culture compared to Pelini, and recruiting is looking good. However, as a game day coach I cringe. We start losing a bunch of miserable games again this year and I fear our great recruiting class will start to dissolve, like we saw in 2007. Gotta win, but Riley is not a proven winner.

We gotta give him a chance, but he came in last year and immediately took a 9 win team and did what he always did at Oregon State: turned them into a sub .500 squad but with one big upset to keep people optimistic. Sorry, but I'm not optimistic. I hope I'm very, very wrong.

• Fire 3

I personally think we are doomed, but I am just fine being in the minority on this one and hope I am wrong. Riley has done great things for the program's culture compared to Pelini, and recruiting is looking good. However, as a game day coach I cringe. We start losing a bunch of miserable games again this year and I fear our great recruiting class will start to dissolve, like we saw in 2007. Gotta win, but Riley is not a proven winner.

We gotta give him a chance, but he came in last year and immediately took a 9 win team and did what he always did at Oregon State: turned them into a sub .500 squad but with one big upset to keep people optimistic. Sorry, but I'm not optimistic. I hope I'm very, very wrong.

Also, I did not like Pelini at all, the clown was able to keep his job longer than he deserved. Most of us considered Pelini and his staff to be underachievers as coaches, but he still found 9 wins every year. Riley is by far a better person, but the coaching is subpar.
  • Fire 3

Also, I did not like Pelini at all, the clown was able to keep his job longer than he deserved. Most of us considered Pelini and his staff to be underachievers as coaches, but he still found 9 wins every year. Riley is by far a better person, but the coaching is subpar.

One thing to give you some hope is he has a history of bouncing back after difficult seasons. Though, admittedly, his W/L record is a bit of a rollercoaster per season, something that wouldn't fly for very long around here.

I like Riley very much and I enjoy his candor and willingness to tell it like he really sees it. At least that is my impression. He doesn't spit out a bunch of generalities and vague indications of 'poor execution' and little details. I tend to agree with most of his comments and critical explanations of what did and did not happen in the course of the games and with our team's play. As with everyone else, I am very disappointed in the win/loss record in year one but I reiterate my optimism for year 2. Ten wins seems very doable and maybe more. Of course, injuries to about three or four of the key players, could be fatal. I had hoped we would be hearing more positive news about the younger QBs as I am more concerned about Armstrong's going down and out with a bad injury than anybody else I suppose. This would lead me as a coach to be extra careful to avoid getting him hurt. Sadly, we need to have Tommy playing full speed, full tilt using his arm and more importantly his legs and brain correctly to win that many. We are not deep enough to make a run without getting some good luck. I feel we are due for a run of good luck as it seems the last several years were 'bad luck' filled.

For the staff, I am less confident and do not feel all that comfortable in giving them either ringing endorsements or negative marks. I think we need more time to see what the do well and what they do not so well.

Overall, I am very pleased with the publicity and image we have presented with this group. I am looking for more in 2016.

I like Riley very much and I enjoy his candor and willingness to tell it like he really sees it. At least that is my impression. He doesn't spit out a bunch of generalities and vague indications of 'poor execution' and little details. I tend to agree with most of his comments and critical explanations of what did and did not happen in the course of the games and with our team's play.

As with everyone else, I am very disappointed in the win/loss record in year one but I reiterate my optimism for year 2. Ten wins seems very doable and maybe more.

Of course, injuries to about three or four of the key players, could be fatal. I had hoped we would be hearing more positive news about the younger QBs as I am more concerned about Armstrong's going down and out with a bad injury than anybody else I suppose. This would lead me as a coach to be extra careful to avoid getting him hurt. Sadly, we need to have Tommy playing full speed, full tilt using his arm and more importantly his legs and brain correctly to win that many.

We are not deep enough to make a run without getting some good luck. I feel we are due for a run of good luck as it seems the last several years were 'bad luck' filled.

Since I suck at forecasting the weather and gauging the stock market, I don't trust any of my prognostications. So all I will go on is this staff's body of work so far, which put me in the "indifferent" slot.

Riley needs two good years to get to a nine win average, so nothing to do but sit and do the math, game by game.