Well I would say if we lose 5 or more, we have some coaching issues. I'm a big supporter, but the question marks are obvious:

-Can they utilize the Run game to win games consistently

-Can they call a game to TA's strengths if the score is tight

-Can they fix the turnover problem

-Can they maintain clock posession and not give the opponent extra seconds, or minutes in some cases

If we lose 5+ games, it better be because of someone kidnapping our starters. I don't know if the fanbase can handle another 6 win season, regardless of what the future holds. We get....impatient.

Well I would say if we lose 5 or more, we have some coaching issues. I'm a big supporter, but the question marks are obvious:

-Can they utilize the Run game to win games consistently

-Can they call a game to TA's strengths if the score is tight

-Can they fix the turnover problem

-Can they maintain clock posession and not give the opponent extra seconds, or minutes in some cases

If we lose 5+ games, it better be because of someone kidnapping our starters. I don't know if the fanbase can handle another 6 win season, regardless of what the future holds. We get....impatient.

If they lose five more games and there wasn't a mess kidnapping I really think things need to change.

• Fire 1

I really hope that we don't see the same excuses and I hope that new ones don't pop up.

A few months ago it was "Fine, leave VV, it is a huge mistake and you didn't play hard anyway" so hopefully we don't see that as an excuse this season.

I can't imagine we will see the lack of talent excuse after the legendary "Purdue actually has more talent than Nebraska" thread that was started on HOL last year.

If NU is not winning 8 games at the bare minimum this season it is a coaching deficiency.

After the Purdue loss last year I came across a rather eye-opening bit of research done by someone and posted to a thread elsewhere.

Was a study of the two deep roster, offense and defense, Purdue to Nebraska. The factors were recruit service star ranking and # of fbs Power 5 schollie offers for each player on two deep, offense and defense, for Nebraska and Purdue respectively.

It found that offense to offense, defense to defense, that the Purdue two deep roster, rated slightly higher on average across board in terms of recruit service star ranking as well as # of fbs Power 5 schollie offers received than the Nebraska two deep.

Given that Nebraska lead the country with 10 current or former walk ons on two deep not surprising. I suppose the recruit classes of 2011-2013, especially 11-12 largely being gone from program or non-participants also contributed. Anyway. Fwiw

I really hope that we don't see the same excuses and I hope that new ones don't pop up.

A few months ago it was "Fine, leave VV, it is a huge mistake and you didn't play hard anyway" so hopefully we don't see that as an excuse this season.

I can't imagine we will see the lack of talent excuse after the legendary "Purdue actually has more talent than Nebraska" thread that was started on HOL last year.

If NU is not winning 8 games at the bare minimum this season it is a coaching deficiency.

After the Purdue loss last year I came across a rather eye-opening bit of research done by someone and posted to a thread elsewhere.

Was a study of the two deep roster, offense and defense, Purdue to Nebraska. The factors were recruit service star ranking and # of fbs Power 5 schollie offers for each player on two deep, offense and defense, for Nebraska and Purdue respectively.

It found that offense to offense, defense to defense, that the Purdue two deep roster, rated slightly higher on average across board in terms of recruit service star ranking as well as # of fbs Power 5 schollie offers received than the Nebraska two deep.

Given that Nebraska lead the country with 10 current or former walk ons on two deep not surprising. I suppose the recruit classes of 2011-2013, especially 11-12 largely being gone from program or non-participants also contributed. Anyway. Fwiw

Yeah except that "research" was complete BS because of the way they assigned ratings to players, and they didn't even have the right guys on the 2 deep (ala Walk-On Lane Hovey instead of 4* Stanley Morgan).

It was debunked last year when that excuse was trotted out:

http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/77253-nebraska-vs-purdue-talent-discussion/

http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/77151-unsportsmanlike-conduct20151027how-talented-is-nebraska/

TL;DR:

Purdue's 5 year recruiting ranking is dead last in the Big Ten, and 67th overall.

Nebraska's 5 year recruiting ranking is 4th in the Bg Ten, and 24th overall.

Then you have the actual talent rankings based on who's on the roster.

http://247sports.com/Season/2015-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite

http://247sports.com/Season/2015-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite?Conference=Big-Ten

It was the ultimate excuse making exercise. Nebraska and Purdue don't have comparable talent by any reasonable metric.

• Fire 1

Yeah except that "research" was complete BS because of the way they assigned ratings to players.

http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/77253-nebraska-vs-purdue-talent-discussion/

http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/77151-unsportsmanlike-conduct20151027how-talented-is-nebraska/

TL;DR:

Purdue's 5 year recruiting ranking is dead last in the Big Ten, and 67th overall.

http://247sports.com/Season/2015-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite?Conference=Big-Ten

It was the ultimate excuse making exercise. Nebraska and Purdue don't have comparable talent by any reasonable metric.

That thread was simply amazing. I could not stop reading it. It just kept getting worse and worse (The excuses), it was one thing to use the turnovers as the main excuse but it was another to do research and try to convince other Husker fans that we were lucky the game was as close as it was.

• Fire 2

Can we please stop with the charade that the Illinois loss and the Purdue BLOWOUT are acceptable and excusable?

Those 2 teams were AWFUL in 2015. Other than beating NU and when they played each other, Illinois and Purdue were winless in the Big Ten. They were colossally bad!!! Riley lost to both of them.

• Fire 3

Yeah except that "research" was complete BS because of the way they assigned ratings to players.

TL;DR:

That thread was simply amazing. I could not stop reading it. It just kept getting worse and worse (The excuses), it was one thing to use the turnovers as the main excuse but it was another to do research and try to convince other Husker fans that we were lucky the game was as close as it was.

That thread is a perfect example of lies, damned lies, and statistics. A complete fabrication of a hypothesis based on garbage data, that was purely agenda driven.

It was debunked last year when that excuse was trotted out: http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/77253-nebraska-vs-purdue-talent-discussion/

TL;DR:

Get your panties in a bunch. I don't care. A whole lot of Nebraska fans live in this special special place with unicorns and fairy tales that convinces them beyond a shadow of a doubt that Nebraska is as stocked on talent as they ever have been. Is a reason many fan bases outside this state use one word to describe this fan base; delusional. And truthfully the description isn't far off for many that have no life outside of a damn football team.

GUess that long time, legendary former Nebraska assistant coach and someone with ties to the program for over 40+ years knew not what he was talking about last year when he stated that this Nebraska team was as down on talent and difference makers as any he had seen during his long association with Nebraska. That it would take Mike Riley a minimum of 4 years to fix the roster left in shambles; via mismanagement, recruting misses, laziness in recruiting, offering schollies to those that shouldn't be playing fbs football. Was amazing when you look at some of the recruit profiles that the only Power 5 FBS offer some of these players got was from Nebraska. But I digress

Get your panties in a bunch. I don't care. A whole lot of Nebraska fans live in this special special place with unicorns and fairy tales that convinces them beyond a shadow of a doubt that Nebraska is as stocked on talent as they ever have been. Is a reason many fan bases outside this state use one word to describe this fan base; delusional. And truthfully the description isn't far off for many that have no life outside of a damn football team.

I'm not getting "my panties in a bunch" at all.

I'm simply saying that your opinion is verifiably wrong. I would also suggest that you don't try to strawman your way out of the argument, because nobody here is claiming that NU is as stocked as they've ever been. But you're welcome to prove that idea.

We're simply stating (factually) that Nebraska isn't as hamstrung via talent as some people would like to think.

GUess that long time, legendary former Nebraska assistant coach and someone with ties to the program for over 40+ years knew not what he was talking about last year when he stated that this Nebraska team was as down on talent and difference makers as any he had seen during his long association with Nebraska. That it would take Mike Riley a minimum of 4 years to fix the roster left in shambles; via mismanagement, recruting misses, laziness in recruiting, offering schollies to those that shouldn't be playing fbs football. Was amazing when you look at some of the recruit profiles that the only Power 5 FBS offer some of these players got was from Nebraska. But I digress

[citation needed]

I'm simply saying that your are factually wrong, and the data proves it.

[citation needed]

Not my data jack. Got a problem. I. Don't. Care. Stick it. Delusional much??

I'm simply saying that your are factually wrong, and the data proves it.

[citation needed]

Not my data jack. Got a problem. I. Don't. Care. Stick it. Delusional much??

fWx327.gif

I like how there is no such thing as middle ground when referring to our talent pool. You say we don't have enough talent on thr team to compete for the conference and you get labeled as a troll etc. Say we have just as much as tOSU or close to it and you get called delusional etc.

Why can't we agree that we are somewhere inbetween that, closer to tOSU than we are Mcneese st.

I like how there is no such thing as middle ground when referring to our talent pool. You say we don't have enough talent on thr team to compete for the conference and you get labeled as a troll etc. Say we have just as much as tOSU or close to it and you get called delusional etc.

Why can't we agree that we are somewhere inbetween that, closer to tOSU than we are Mcneese st.

It would seem that people who argue that we don't have as much talent as tOSU and also argue that we do have enough talent to complete for the conference are indeed arguing that we are somewhere in the middle.

• Fire 1