Last year NU won 5 games. With a top ten rushing defense. Those linemen are in the NFL now. There is reason to believe that linebacking and secondary play will be improved. But an improvement in passing D from near worst in the nation to "sufficiently mediocre" likely will do little to offset the lack of strength, depth up front. So defensively I see the situation only marginally better. Again, the strength was Those front four and gap control and that has taken a major hit.

Offensively the line has to rebuild. For a team in a meat grinder conference where strength is key, who also is looking at the late success rushing against UCLA as a plan going forward, this is not good. Other teams will have a full season of tape to review an learn from Re the Riley huskers.

SO to improve by two wins from 5 to 7 for the Huskers should be viewed as reasonable. Again EVERYONE is trying to get better, not just us. Wins dont grow on trees or fantasy boards. You have to earn them.

Adding: Dont get me wrong 11 wins would be great. But I am not expecting it. But to hell with it. The first booth initiated targeting ejection I see, I amgoing outside and watching flag football for 3 months.

Fired the guy that took NU there too. Now I think NU upgraded anyway at DL coach but it's kind of crazy.

More of the defensive system than Hank Hughes IMO

That's not true. Every where Hughes has been he's improved the rush defense. That's his specialty iirc.

I like how there is no such thing as middle ground when referring to our talent pool. You say we don't have enough talent on thr team to compete for the conference and you get labeled as a troll etc. Say we have just as much as tOSU or close to it and you get called delusional etc.

Why can't we agree that we are somewhere inbetween that, closer to tOSU than we are Mcneese st.

It would seem that people who argue that we don't have as much talent as tOSU and also argue that we do have enough talent to complete for the conference are indeed arguing that we are somewhere in the middle.

It really doesn't feel that way to me at all.

I know NU's talent isn't amazing, but it still should be good enough to easily win 8 or 9 games this season. If that doesn't happen, it's because of a coaching deficiency, not a talent deficiency.

I just don't like lowering my standards and expectations as a fan to accept anything less.

I believe we have some good players and have a chance to win a bunch of games, even making it to the conf. title game certainly. But, the talent level of the Big Ten teams is, by historic comparisons, fairly even. Ohio State is much more talented that the rest of the conference with most likely Michigan and Wisconsin 2 and 3. After that, arguably Nebraska, Michigan State and Penn State in that order. I know some would put Michigan State above us but I think we have proven in recent games to be pretty comparable. I think I would give us the edge IF we had our D Tackles returning. Maybe our youth will prove up to the task but ?? If we returned our linemen from last year, I think we would be the clear favorite to win the West. We should know by the first Big Ten game what we have. Tommy Armstrong will play his career best football and will be a serious contender for All Conference QB. He might in fact win it IF Huskers win the West.

I know NU's talent isn't amazing, but it still should be good enough to easily win 8 or 9 games this season. If that doesn't happen, it's because of a coaching deficiency, not a talent deficiency.

I just don't like lowering my standards and expectations as a fan to accept anything less.

I believe we have some good players and have a chance to win a bunch of games, even making it to the conf. title game certainly. But, the talent level of the Big Ten teams is, by historic comparisons, fairly even. Ohio State is much more talented that the rest of the conference with most likely Michigan and Wisconsin 2 and 3. After that, arguably Nebraska, Michigan State and Penn State in that order. I know some would put Michigan State above us but I think we have proven in recent games to be pretty comparable. I think I would give us the edge IF we had our D Tackles returning. Maybe our youth will prove up to the task but ?? If we returned our linemen from last year, I think we would be the clear favorite to win the West. We should know by the first Big Ten game what we have. Tommy Armstrong will play his career best football and will be a serious contender for All Conference QB. He might in fact win it IF Huskers win the West.

Wisconsin's recruiting hasn't been that great, along with the rest of the West.

Heres the 2015 composite:

zWsBdgX.jpg

• Fire 2

I think drew was referencing Boyd Epley.

And saunders, yes, there have been some claims that nebraska is "narrowing the gap" between them and OSU. Which isn't true. Yet. 2017 class isn't here yet

Considering tOSU has the #1 class for 2017 - by a bit of a margin - we have quite a bit of work to do to close the gap in the 2017 class.

• Fire 1

I think drew was referencing Boyd Epley.

And saunders, yes, there have been some claims that nebraska is "narrowing the gap" between them and OSU. Which isn't true. Yet. 2017 class isn't here yet

Considering tOSU has the #1 class for 2017 - by a bit of a margin - we have quite a bit of work to do to close the gap in the 2017 class.

Yea. I was kind of playing the 2017 class delusion. KJJ's commitment has some people (not necessarily on this board) thinking all of a sudden NU has a fantastic class.

• Fire 1

If we can finish 10-2 with minimal injuries, 9-3 with standard injuries or 8-4 with "Nebraska standard" injuries/Riley befuddling loss to crap team we should be in pretty good shape moving into 2017. Next season feels like a breakout year.

These are pretty much my minimum expectations for this year. If we hit those records in 2016, next year is the make or break year. But this year is gonna be easier schedule wise.

If we can finish 10-2 with minimal injuries, 9-3 with standard injuries or 8-4 with "Nebraska standard" injuries/Riley befuddling loss to crap team we should be in pretty good shape moving into 2017. Next season feels like a breakout year.

These are pretty much my minimum expectations for this year. If we hit those records in 2016, next year is the make or break year. But this year is gonna be easier schedule wise.

It's definitely easier schedule wise, which is crazy considering Oregon in Lincoln then Wiscy, tOSU, NW and Iowa all on the road. It's a harder schedule than running through an awful B12 North, yet still somehow less appealing to the eye.

It's definitely easier schedule wise, which is crazy considering Oregon in Lincoln then Wiscy, tOSU, NW and Iowa all on the road. It's a harder schedule than running through an awful B12 North, yet still somehow less appealing to the eye.

Agree. It's hard for me to get excited to watch games vs NW, Iowa, Minnesota, Purdue, Illinois, Rutgers, Indiana, and Maryland. It makes it less appealing because those games are usually closer than they should be, meaning, those games are just material that manifests complaining and grumbling.