Anyone who has ever been a coach can attest that it is hard to win a bunch of games with new OL and DL.

7 wins.

This is probably an example of "common knowledge" not actually reflecting reality.

HEre's an article on point, though it does only discuss OL.

http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=does-an-experience-offensive-line-lead-to-more-success

What does this mean for 2013? The Crimson Tide return just 39 starts, which is No. 106 in the nation. Alabama has some of the most-skilled players in the country, and the Tide are rightfully being put at the top of most preseason rankings, but there are some questions on the offensive line that haven't been there for a few years. It's worth noting Alabama had 52 returning starts in 2009, their first national championship season under Saban.

The past three national champions had at least 90 returning starts on the line, but the three teams that finished No. 2 each had fewer than 80.

It's worth noting Alabama had 52 returning starts in 2009, their first national championship season under Saban.

Does more returning offensive line starts equal more success? Not always. There are many factors that help contribute to success or failure, and a low number of returning starts doesn't guatantee failure. Just look at Oklahoma in 2010 (42 starts) USC in 2011 (27) and Georgia last year (31).

A 7-win season would be massively disappointing and would indicate to me that this staff doesn't have what it takes to maintain the Husker standard.

Good point except NU has no where near that talent that those teams did.
NU has arguably the most talented roster in the B10, except for OSU.

No one is expecting an NC, or even a playoff berth. But a 7-win season with the talent on this team would be a shameful waste.

Less than 7 wins, and I'll be nodding along to the fire them sooner than later train of thought.

You can be the most talented team in the country. But if you don't have discipline, intelligence, attitude, motivation and teamwork you can lose plenty of games. Great players make great plays because of this, just as smart players make smart plays and so on. It all has to be there; not just slinging around the term talent so loosely.

What you're describing is exactly what a good coach instills. That literally IS COACHING. If a team consistently doesn't play with that, then that's on the coach. Not the players. Like Lombardi (iirc) said, coaches who can draw things up on a board are a dime a dozen. Great coaches crawl inside their players and motivate them.

Otherwise, why the heck do you even need to pay a staff several million in compensation?

Anyone who has ever been a coach can attest that it is hard to win a bunch of games with new OL and DL.

7 wins.

This is probably an example of "common knowledge" not actually reflecting reality.

http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=does-an-experience-offensive-line-lead-to-more-success

What does this mean for 2013? The Crimson Tide return just 39 starts, which is No. 106 in the nation. Alabama has some of the most-skilled players in the country, and the Tide are rightfully being put at the top of most preseason rankings, but there are some questions on the offensive line that haven't been there for a few years. It's worth noting Alabama had 52 returning starts in 2009, their first national championship season under Saban.

The past three national champions had at least 90 returning starts on the line, but the three teams that finished No. 2 each had fewer than 80.

It's worth noting Alabama had 52 returning starts in 2009, their first national championship season under Saban.

Does more returning offensive line starts equal more success? Not always. There are many factors that help contribute to success or failure, and a low number of returning starts doesn't guatantee failure. Just look at Oklahoma in 2010 (42 starts) USC in 2011 (27) and Georgia last year (31).

A 7-win season would be massively disappointing and would indicate to me that this staff doesn't have what it takes to maintain the Husker standard.

No one is expecting an NC, or even a playoff berth. But a 7-win season with the talent on this team would be a shameful waste.

Less than 7 wins, and I'll be nodding along to the fire them sooner than later train of thought.

I know you said arguably, but OSU, PSU, Mich, and Mich St all have more talent on their roster than we do.

That aside, I agree that a 7-win season with these players would be a huge disappointment. We should have one of, if not the best offense in the conference this season. Would be tough to stomach to have all those play makers and still only manage 7 wins.

7 wins.

You can be the most talented team in the country. But if you don't have discipline, intelligence, attitude, motivation and teamwork you can lose plenty of games. Great players make great plays because of this, just as smart players make smart plays and so on. It all has to be there; not just slinging around the term talent so loosely.

What you're describing is exactly what a good coach instills. That literally IS COACHING. If a team consistently doesn't play with that, then that's on the coach. Not the players. Like Lombardi (iirc) said, coaches who can draw things up on a board are a dime a dozen. Great coaches crawl inside their players and motivate them.

Otherwise, why the heck do you even need to pay a staff several million in compensation?

No, sir. That falls back on the players. And sometimes the other team just makes a couple more plays that help win a game. I wouldn't think too deeply into it. It's a football game played by players out on a football field.

• Fire 2

Up and down the roster, sideways, whatever; OSU, Mich, Mich St and PSU all are better stocked than Nebraska. OSU, no question. Hoke stocked Mich with elite level talent, especially on defense. Mich St is very good. Franklin has been bringing in quality classes since day 1 at PSU.

A program that lead nation last year with 10 current or former walk ons on two deep roster is not a well stocked roster in any sense of the idea. Walk ons and underclassmen are not ever supposed to be the nuts and bolts of two deep, the clay, if you will, that a team is molded around.

Is a reason that a well known legendary former assistant coach at Nebraska said last years team was as down on talent as it has been in 40 years, maybe since days of pre Devaney and that it will take Riley a minimum 4 years to replenish the roster he inherited.

I know NU's talent isn't amazing, but it still should be good enough to easily win 8 or 9 games this season. If that doesn't happen, it's because of a coaching deficiency, not a talent deficiency.

I just don't like lowering my standards and expectations as a fan to accept anything less.

Exactly

And just as much as team talent... one of the most important, if not the most important influencers this year... is named "Patsy Schedule".

Unusual name... but Patsy Schedule controls our fate this year, as much as anyone.

Up and down the roster, sideways, whatever; OSU, Mich, Mich St and PSU all are better stocked than Nebraska. OSU, no question. Hoke stocked Mich with elite level talent, especially on defense. Mich St is very good. Franklin has been bringing in quality classes since day 1 at PSU.

I'm loathe to argue with someone who has such an .... interesting ... definition of "facts" but by any actual documented calculation, Ohio State is first, Michigan is second and Nebraska, Michigan State and Penn State are all but tied.

So actually not only is there question what you're saying is demonstrably false.

Last year NU won 5 games. With a top ten rushing defense. Those linemen are in the NFL now. There is reason to believe that linebacking and secondary play will be improved. But an improvement in passing D from near worst in the nation to "sufficiently mediocre" likely will do little to offset the lack of strength, depth up front. So defensively I see the situation only marginally better. Again, the strength was Those front four and gap control and that has taken a major hit.

Offensively the line has to rebuild. For a team in a meat grinder conference where strength is key, who also is looking at the late success rushing against UCLA as a plan going forward, this is not good. Other teams will have a full season of tape to review an learn from Re the Riley huskers.

SO to improve by two wins from 5 to 7 for the Huskers should be viewed as reasonable. Again EVERYONE is trying to get better, not just us. Wins dont grow on trees or fantasy boards. You have to earn them.

Adding: Dont get me wrong 11 wins would be great. But I am not expecting it. But to hell with it. The first booth initiated targeting ejection I see, I amgoing outside and watching flag football for 3 months.

• Fire 1

6 wins maybe 7 - huskerboard continues to make excuses. We fade into history like Bama did until we make our return.

Edit: if we ever do in my life time. What is our breaking point when do we say enough is enough? We fired a HC for a done nothing do nothing coach enoy fall. I know I wont.

I hope I am wrong but I wont be. If we win the Big ten this year and are in playoffs that would be great. However we wont and we wont. I would love to eat my words. This is our easiest schedule from last two years. If Riley cant do it this year say good bye.

• Fire 1

Last year NU won 5 games. With a top ten rushing defense. Those linemen are in the NFL now. There is reason to believe that linebacking and secondary play will be improved. But an improvement in passing D from near worst in the nation to "sufficiently mediocre" likely will do little to offset the lack of strength, depth up front. So defensively I see the situation only marginally better. Again, the strength was Those front four and gap control and that has taken a major hit.

Offensively the line has to rebuild. For a team in a meat grinder conference where strength is key, who also is looking at the late success rushing against UCLA as a plan going forward, this is not good. Other teams will have a full season of tape to review an learn from Re the Riley huskers.

SO to improve by two wins from 5 to 7 for the Huskers should be viewed as reasonable. Again EVERYONE is trying to get better, not just us. Wins dont grow on trees or fantasy boards. You have to earn them.

Adding: Dont get me wrong 11 wins would be great. But I am not expecting it. But to hell with it. The first booth initiated targeting ejection I see, I amgoing outside and watching flag football for 3 months.

Fired the guy that took NU there too. Now I think NU upgraded anyway at DL coach but it's kind of crazy.

Fired the guy that took NU there too. Now I think NU upgraded anyway at DL coach but it's kind of crazy.

More of the defensive system than Hank Hughes IMO

I really hope that we don't see the same excuses and I hope that new ones don't pop up.

A few months ago it was "Fine, leave VV, it is a huge mistake and you didn't play hard anyway" so hopefully we don't see that as an excuse this season.

I can't imagine we will see the lack of talent excuse after the legendary "Purdue actually has more talent than Nebraska" thread that was started on HOL last year.

If NU is not winning 8 games at the bare minimum this season it is a coaching deficiency.

• Fire 1