Jim Grobe was offered NU job in 2007....

Well, that's that, ha!

I'm sure there's a "this is the official story I would like to set" element to this, as there is in anything anyone says, but TO wouldn't be able to say this if he had in fact offered Grobe the job.

Grobe's own insistence to the contrary is what's been most puzzling here.

Why does everyone just simply assume that it was TO that offered Grobe the job? TO was basically brought in as the interim AD to basically unite the fanbase. There's been enough things go down that I don't always believe the AD does the hiring and the firing. The powers that be wanted Clownahan gone asap. I've long thought there wasn't a chance in hades that TO's list came down to only two people: Gill and Pelini. It's reasonable to believe that one of the powers that be offered Grobe the job.

I've read webrumors that Bo was chosen by powers that be...not by Tom. Maybe that would have played out in a way that later Tom made the same choice on his own...or maybe Tom was steered some/a lot, in that direction. Anyone hear/believe such a rumor?

Grobe...he wasn't offered, imo. Serious talk...maybe, maybe not. Don't care.

Some first time HC trivia. Tom Osborne earned a PhD. Tom trained under a superstar. Tom Herman looks to be a first time HC big success. He's a Mensan. He trained under a superstar. Elite brains such as the Tom's have learn better than anybody else, and they learned from superstars.

Anybody know how smart Scott Frost is?

He's exceptionally smart. I believe he scored a 31 on his ACT in the days where any score 30 or above was almost unheard of. Back in that era, a 26 or higher usually got one in serious contention for a regents scholarship.

I've read webrumors that Bo was chosen by powers that be...not by Tom. Maybe that would have played out in a way that later Tom made the same choice on his own...or maybe Tom was steered some/a lot, in that direction. Anyone hear/believe such a rumor?

Some first time HC trivia. Tom Osborne earned a PhD. Tom trained under a superstar. Tom Herman looks to be a first time HC big success. He's a Mensan. He trained under a superstar. Elite brains such as the Tom's have learn better than anybody else, and they learned from superstars.

I don't know how to do a "spoiler alert" so I will post the answer at the end of this post.

Dr. Tom's thesis topic was ____

best method of getting players to memorize the play book.

I thought i heard rumors where briles will be back as HC next year and grobe is a one year deal - that would explain keeping all the staff. But maybe the briles deal is not true....

This is what some boosters wanted. Probably won't happen

When the "firing" of Briles was initially announced, it was called a suspension, and like you have said, some boosters went to the school to have Briles reinstated after a year's suspension. The school met and realized that it wouldn't be good to bring Briles back, no matter what boosters are wanting this, so he was officially fired.

Grobe was probably given the interim tag and told to keep the assistant coaches to ease the transition this season. It would be nearly impossible for a permanent head coach to be hired and bring a staff full of assistants in the middle of June.

Where's BigWillie? I know he refuted this story several times -- including a claim that the rumor was invented as a joke on some forum playing into the plane-watching frenzy. Of course, maybe they inadvertently did get the actual plane ... which would be quite the twist! :lol:

Since he openly did it on RSS - SarasotaHusker was the guy who started the troll. He admitted it was a troll just days later, and will admit it even today. He picked a random private jet flying out of Smith-Reynolds in Winston Salem that was headed to Atlanta. The powers that be were in Atlanta at that time doing a few interviews. McKewon picked up on the post, ran an article about it just an hour or two later. From there, national writers picked up on it, and now we're here.

Why Grobe continues to lie about it to this day, I don't know. Self serving and a bit of ego, I guess?

Where's BigWillie? I know he refuted this story several times -- including a claim that the rumor was invented as a joke on some forum playing into the plane-watching frenzy. Of course, maybe they inadvertently did get the actual plane ... which would be quite the twist! :lol:

Since he openly did it on RSS - SarasotaHusker was the guy who started the troll. He admitted it was a troll just days later, and will admit it even today. He picked a random private jet flying out of Smith-Reynolds in Winston Salem that was headed to Atlanta. The powers that be were in Atlanta at that time doing a few interviews. McKewon picked up on the post, ran an article about it just an hour or two later. From there, national writers picked up on it, and now we're here.

Why Grobe continues to lie about it to this day, I don't know. Self serving and a bit of ego, I guess?

So is Osborne lying about interviewing him for the job?

Informal phone conversation to ask about interest in the job? Yes. Brian Kelly was contacted. Paul Johnson was contacted. Lane Kiffin. Numerous guys were.

Did he have an in person interview, and the job being offered? No. Only two candidates had in person interviews - Pelini and Gill. Pelini was flown up to Atlanta, the same time we were allegedly flying Grobe into Atlanta, and that's where Bo was officially offered the job.

Informal phone conversation to ask about interest in the job? Yes. Brian Kelly was contacted. Paul Johnson was contacted. Lane Kiffin. Numerous guys were.

Did he have an in person interview, and the job being offered? No. Only two candidates had in person interviews - Pelini and Gill. Pelini was flown up to Atlanta, the same time we were allegedly flying Grobe into Atlanta, and that's where Bo was officially offered the job.

Osborne himself used the word "interviewed." It's pretty much splitting hairs whether it was on the phone or in person. I'm sure there would have been an in-person interview if he was a finalist but that doesn't mean he wasn't being considered.

So to me it seems a lot more likely that whoever the random poster was is the person stretching the story for whatever reason.

It's most likely that both things are true: SarasotaHusker made a joke post about a candidate for the 2007 job, and that guy (unbeknownst to SarasotaHusker) was actually talked to about the job.

SarasotaHusker would have picked a guy likely to be considered for the job otherwise the joke wouldn't go far. Being likely, the guy was, in fact, talked to.

• Fire 1

It's most likely that both things are true: SarasotaHusker made a joke post about a candidate for the 2007 job, and that guy (unbeknownst to SarasotaHusker) was actually talked to about the job.

SarasotaHusker would have picked a guy likely to be considered for the job otherwise the joke wouldn't go far. Being likely, the guy was, in fact, talked to.

That's possible. But it seems more likely to me that he heard he was a candidate and exaggerated the rest about him actually being offered the job and then invented the back-story about picking him based on flights.

ah, the husker invisible hand. Seriously I think Tom is one person that none of the other people would override.