How much blame do we deserve?

Redux

How much blame?  

84 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Who else is Texas going to blame? They are solely responsible for everything that happened.

True, but did you think they would actually admit to being wrong?

Didn't Colorado leave first? Even before we accepted the B1G invite?

Yes, a day or two before our announcement

f#*k Texas

Anyone who posts this will always get a +1 from me,.....just sayin'

No school deserves any "blame". Every school was/is looking out for its best interests. No school in the 12 would have turned down an offer from the 10. We just happened to be the prettiest girl in the room in Delany's eyes.

True, but the leaked emails about the "Tech" problem smell of typical Texas hypocrisy

The fault lies ultimately back with "Dollar Bill Byrne" who helped engineer the Big 12 to begin with. The Big 12 sucks and always has really. It really should have been named 'The new and improved Southwest Conference Starring Texas" as that was what it was intended to be and became. The best decision Nebraska ever made was getting out of that cluster. The departure of Nebraska basically sent the conference into a long slow death spiral. Frankly, in my view, the Big Ten has been reborn with the addition of Nebraska as well. The Big Ten was the weakest of the power conferences before we joined and we are now a rival to the SEC which was easily the 'top' conference. Nebraska football carries enormous political and image weight if you will in collegiate football. If Nebraska were to suddenly withdraw from the Big Ten and join the PAC 12, that conference would rise up and become the new rival with the SEC. It is rather amazing. There seems little argument on this fact as we know the Rutgers and Maryland didn't transform the conference 'power image' from mediocre to championship level.

Ohio State benefited as much as anyone from Nebraska's joinder as it legitmized the entire conference in terms of gravitas and strength.

All true, I blame him for the demise of our short lived BBall glory days too.

1) I don't care what Texas or their fans think. It's crazy that anyone would.

2) I had an in-depth conversation with a Texas A&M fan about Texas a few years back. He laid the blame for the destruction of the SWC and the Big XII (we thought it was imploding at the time) squarely on Texas' shoulders. More people from more schools think Texas was to blame than think Nebraska was to blame. Ask Colorado, ask Missouri.

3) Texas was actively pursuing a PAC-10 membership at the time we left for the Big 10. Who's to "blame" for that? Bottom line is, every school is looking out for themselves. That's not worthy of "blame," it's simple responsible behavior.

And....this one is my favorite.

+1 for #1 in and of itself.

#2 sounds like an interesting conversation and I've often said A&M going to the SEC put Texas in the spot it's in now, "hey Texas 4 star kid do you want to play in Ames Iowa and West Virginia in November or play in the SEC? "

#3 it was my understand Texas was courting other schools way before anyone else was but my memory is probably biased.

f#*k texas, and their crybaby revisionist bullsh#t and backdoor shenanigans.

Colorado wanted in the pac10 for a long time, even during the big8 years.

Yep. Yep.

aTm wanted SEC in the early 90's but UTerus blocked 'em.

Nobody with opportunity and a brain wants to be under UTerus influence (control). I hope UTerus stays in their own lesser conference forever.

(If they come to the B1G, it'll be fine their bs attitude and behavior will get them nowhere.)

I'm guessing the reason why Tejas never landed in the B1G or the Pac 10 is because they demanded to much and offered to little in return.

The fault lies ultimately back with "Dollar Bill Byrne" who helped engineer the Big 12 to begin with. The Big 12 sucks and always has really. It really should have been named 'The new and improved Southwest Conference Starring Texas" as that was what it was intended to be and became. The best decision Nebraska ever made was getting out of that cluster. The departure of Nebraska basically sent the conference into a long slow death spiral. Frankly, in my view, the Big Ten has been reborn with the addition of Nebraska as well. The Big Ten was the weakest of the power conferences before we joined and we are now a rival to the SEC which was easily the 'top' conference. Nebraska football carries enormous political and image weight if you will in collegiate football. If Nebraska were to suddenly withdraw from the Big Ten and join the PAC 12, that conference would rise up and become the new rival with the SEC. It is rather amazing. There seems little argument on this fact as we know the Rutgers and Maryland didn't transform the conference 'power image' from mediocre to championship level.

Ohio State benefited as much as anyone from Nebraska's joinder as it legitmized the entire conference in terms of gravitas and strength.

Wow, I think you're a little dilusional about how Nebraska is viewed outside of the state. I Iive in Michigan. And I can tell you everyone I know and meet think of Nebraska as a has been. Honestly we are not really taken seriously anymore by most big 10 fans I encounter. We do have tradition, but that's about it anymore. We need to regain a lot of respect, and we surely are not why the big ten has been revitalized. That would be the accomplishments of Ohio state and MSU, (and the hiring of harbaugh to a degree). We have some work to do.
  • Fire 2

Wow, I think you're a little dilusional about how Nebraska is viewed outside of the state. I Iive in Michigan. And I can tell you everyone I know and meet think of Nebraska as a has been. Honestly we are not really taken seriously anymore by most big 10 fans I encounter. We do have tradition, but that's about it anymore. We need to regain a lot of respect, and we surely are not why the big ten has been revitalized. That would be the accomplishments of Ohio state and MSU, (and the hiring of harbaugh to a degree). We have some work to do.

How often do you get, "Nebraska? They were goo in the 90's, right?"

I, too, live outside of Neb. and No one thinks of Nebraska as a top tier program here.

Back to the main topic; We don't deserve any blame, unless you are a Tex. fan; even then, there is so much blame you can place on us, considering everything UT was trying to get done in there best interest, completely disregarding the state of the Big 12 or the complications their actions could cause.

I, too, live outside of Neb. and No one thinks of Nebraska as a top tier program here.

Back to the main topic; We don't deserve any blame, unless you are a Tex. fan; even then, there is so much blame you can place on us, considering everything UT was trying to get done in there best interest, completely disregarding the state of the Big 12 or the complications their actions could cause.

I hear it a lot. Also hear about how the only reason we split the title in 97 was because tom was retiring and it was a parting gift from the other coaches. I've had that discussion so many times it makes me sickto even bring it up here. However, back tithe point, you're correct we are not seen as a top program anymore. Despite what we want to believe. Hopefully that will start to correct this year.

I hear it a lot. Also hear about how the only reason we split the title in 97 was because tom was retiring and it was a parting gift from the other coaches. I've had that discussion so many times it makes me sickto even bring it up here. However, back tithe point, you're correct we are not seen as a top program anymore. Despite what we want to believe. Hopefully that will start to correct this year.

If someone thinks that we did not deserve any part of the 97 title I immediately discredit their college football knowledge and view them as a troll. Just saying. There are other programs that people consider elite that have not had much success the past 30 years. People consider Notre Dame an elite program and what have they done the last 30 years besides get whacked in the Championship in 2012? I would say in the bigger scheme of college football, we have about 10 years, and if we do not make it to the playoffs or play/win a National Championship, then I would say we have fallen out of the 'great program' category. If in ten years we win a Championship, then we are on pace historically, as an average, as far as championships go. The ebbs and flows of historical greatness do not come without peaks and valleys.... its simply a matter of perspective on how long you think the valleys should go on before you peak again that I would say some people have trouble seeing.

Also, Texas can suck a fat one they are the worst.

Wondering if those same fans also considered MU to be a "has been" prior to "the saviors arrival" - it will be interesting to see how these two teams trend over the next 3 or 4 seasons.

You are correct in that we are not currently a top tier team, however if you are having conversations with people that feel that NU didn't deserve a tittle in 97 then you should probably pay a little more attention to who you converse with.

The death of the BIG XII is entirely Texas' fault, and that's how I voted. They tried to bully us and the other schools into line as if we were their pawns, and we left.

But Texas has accomplices in its murder of the BIG XII, Oklahoma, OSU, KU,KSU, and ISU are all equally guilty. They all thought they had soft landing sports somewhere else, now to their horror they realize they don't and are bitter that we out played them in that fiasco. And they understand they have to try and save that sinking ship, but I don't think they will be able to. The mid majors they are adding will water down their conference schedule strength in the eyes of those who matter.

This whole episode saddens me but ultimately makes me happy because from all that chaos TO and Perlman did secure this universities future in arguably the most stable conference in the land.

So yea in short F*** Texas.

I voted for none of the blame. Irregardless of the actions of Perlman and Osborne, the only ones that made the decisions for Colorado, Missouri and A&M are.../drum roll....Colorado, Missouri and A&M. We are not responsible for the decisions and actions of others. Maybe they followed our lead, and if they did, they CHOSE to do so. We did not choose for them.

Texas, being Texas, wanted to extend the GOR in very small increments at the time of the original implosion. They wanted 4-6 years at a time for the GOR. Nebraska was looking far longer into the future and wanted at least 20 years and would have taken even more if possible. Simply incompatible views on how the conference should operate.

That difference of opinion made Nebraska believe that Texas (considering the PAC move at that time) would ALWAYS be looking to exit to a better deal. Made sense for Texas, but not for NU. NU needed, because of our middle of the country location, to know that our conference, whatever it was, would be a decades-long venture. Not a 5 year wheel of fortune.

So when we had the chance to join the B1G we took it. It offers us a home for possibly centuries. But certainly for many decades. Stability, which we could not get in the Big 12.

As far as blame, I don't blame anyone. Everyone acted in their best interests (AT THAT TIME). It was a tumultuous and dangerous period, and NU very easily could have been left without a conference home. It seems shocking, but I believe it's true. We're a small market school with a national following which is or can be hard to quantify compared to Texas.

I believe Oklahoma should be considering all the same factors. As good as they are at football, they also could be left out if the situation changes just a bit. A 10-15 year downturn in their football success (perhaps after Stoops retires) could place them at the junction NU was in. No recent football success, a waning interest among TV audiences, and a major realignment in conferences could put them in a tough place in the future.

You are correct in that we are not currently a top tier team, however if you are having conversations with people that feel that NU didn't deserve a tittle in 97 then you should probably pay a little more attention to who you converse with.

I'm simply offering a bit of perspective. Many on here see Nebraska from the inside, and don't see how we are viewed by other fans. There are other points of view than husker fans.