OWH: 10 Numbers for the Huskers in 2016

Mavric

I am not sure I'd agree that the offenses of today are really that much better than 20 years ago. As I said, the rules tend to favor offenses and as such scoring and yards and so on tend to be higher. The Big Ten is reputed to have better or even the best defenses, as a conference, in the country. As such, you would expect even the average Big Ten defenses to hold opponents to less than 350 yards. That to me is a rather high number. I think a great defense would give up an average of something considerably less than 300 and a poor defense give up about 400. Average ought to be less than 350 in my view. A great defense ought o hold opponents under ten a game and an average Big Ten defense (again, being among the best in the country as such) should be certainly under 20.

I should also add that Big Ten teams are not known for the 'scoring explosion' type offenses. That should also suggest lower scoring and yards allowed defensive numbers. Just my opinion. We gave up way too many yards last year and I thought we were somewhere around that 350 mark. ? Our excessive interceptions ended up putting a lot of easy points in front of our opponents as well.

Please note that I also expect considerable improvement for Nebraska on both offense and defense in stats, points, etc. This will reflect also in our national ranking in various categories and should enable a better won/loss record.

I am not sure I'd agree that the offenses of today are really that much better than 20 years ago. As I said, the rules tend to favor offenses and as such scoring and yards and so on tend to be higher. The Big Ten is reputed to have better or even the best defenses, as a conference, in the country. As such, you would expect even the average Big Ten defenses to hold opponents to less than 350 yards. That to me is a rather high number. I think a great defense would give up an average of something considerably less than 300 and a poor defense give up about 400. Average ought to be less than 350 in my view. A great defense ought o hold opponents under ten a game and an average Big Ten defense (again, being among the best in the country as such) should be certainly under 20.

I should also add that Big Ten teams are not known for the 'scoring explosion' type offenses. That should also suggest lower scoring and yards allowed defensive numbers. Just my opinion. We gave up way too many yards last year and I thought we were somewhere around that 350 mark. ? Our excessive interceptions ended up putting a lot of easy points in front of our opponents as well.

Last year, Nebraska's total defense was right at 400 yards per game, to rank #64 nationally. Yes, that is a poor defense, but the worst defenses in the country gave up 450-550. There were only 5 teams in the entire country that gave up less than 300 yards per game, with the lowest being Boston College at 254 YPG.

Wisconsin had the best scoring defense last year at 13.1 Ohio State was #2 at 15.1. Only 15 teams in the entire country gave up less than 20 points per game. Nebraska was #76 nationally at 27.8, again which is not good.

Leave it to Sam to throw in that last number to try to make it look like we've been a middle-of-the-road team in the West for the last five years.

Maybe because we have been?

5-3

7-1

5-3

5-3

3-5

Do you think that we haven't been?

2011 we were third out of six in the Legends division (Michigan, Michigan State)

2012 we won the Legends division

2013 we were third in the Legends division (Michigan State, Iowa)

2014 we were third of seven in the West division (Wisconsin, Minnesota)

2015 we were fourth of seven in the West division (Iowa, Northwestern, Wisconsin)

That's pretty middle-of-the-road.

Last year, Nebraska's total defense was right at 400 yards per game, to rank #64 nationally. Yes, that is a poor defense, but the worst defenses in the country gave up 450-550. There were only 5 teams in the entire country that gave up less than 300 yards per game, with the lowest being Boston College at 254 YPG.

Wisconsin had the best scoring defense last year at 13.1 Ohio State was #2 at 15.1. Only 15 teams in the entire country gave up less than 20 points per game. Nebraska was #76 nationally at 27.8, again which is not good.

Thanks. Obviously the defenses are even poorer than I realized. Those are terribly high numbers, Nobody had a defensive scoring average under 10? Wow. The holding is blatant, the pass interference and targeting penalties, the pick plays, etc etc. All enable offenses to move better, score more, etc. Thanks. Once upon a time, to average 400 yards of offense a game was considered very good. Now teams are giving up that on a regular basis. Ugh. Didn't realize how bad things have gotten.

Thanks. Obviously the defenses are even poorer than I realized. Those are terribly high numbers, Nobody had a defensive scoring average under 10? Wow. The holding is blatant, the pass interference and targeting penalties, the pick plays, etc etc. All enable offenses to move better, score more, etc. Thanks. Once upon a time, to average 400 yards of offense a game was considered very good. Now teams are giving up that on a regular basis. Ugh. Didn't realize how bad things have gotten.

While I agree that there have been rule changes and enforcement have enabled offense to be more productive. I think there are other factors that have led to the increase in offense production. These include: more no-huddle and hurry-up offenses (more plays=more yardage/points), 7 on 7 training in the younger ranks have enabled more skilled offensive players in college, scholarship limits have spread out the offensive talent to more teams, coaching philosophy of choosing to compete with an offensive philosophy and putting best players on offense, more spread offenses utilizing passing attacks.

I can tell you are an old-school football fan, and I agree that it can be hard for me to watch a 60-50 football game. I don't know if it's "bad football", it's just different.

Leave it to Sam to throw in that last number to try to make it look like we've been a middle-of-the-road team in the West for the last five years.

5-3

7-1

5-3

5-3

3-5

2011 we were third out of six in the Legends division (Michigan, Michigan State)

2015 we were fourth of seven in the West division (Iowa, Northwestern, Wisconsin)

2013 and 2014 we were tied for second, though we did lose the tie-breaker. But even that is a first and three thirds from 11-14. Wisconsin is better at 1-1-2-3. Iowa is 2-4-4-5. Northwestern is 3-5-5-6. Minnesota is 2-4-6-6. So we've easily been the second best team in the division over the first four years of that time-frame, which is definitely not middle-of-the-road.

From 2011-2014, we were 13-7 which is winning 65% of the games. That's not great but that's not middle of the road. It's only when you add in last year's 1-5 (16%) in there that it drags the overall average down to 53.8%. From 11-14, Wisconsin was the class of the division at 18-2. Iowa was 9-9. Minnesota was 10-12. Northwestern was 8-11. So, again, we were easily the second best team in the West. In fact, only two schools were over .500 in the conference. Not great, but definitely not middle-of-the-road.

So the only reason to include last year's dismal results into the mix is to try to make people think we've been worse than we have by the way he presents the numbers.

Simple eye test would conclude coming in 2nd in the Western division is very much middle of the road in a largely perceived "downish" Big Ten.

Numbers may paint it a little prettier, but 1 division title....it is what it is.

Yes, when you move the goalposts from comparing the division to comparing the country, it changes the answer.

5-3

7-1

5-3

5-3

3-5

2013 and 2014 we were tied for second, though we did lose the tie-breaker. But even that is a first and three thirds from 11-14. Wisconsin is better at 1-1-2-3. Iowa is 2-4-4-5. Northwestern is 3-5-5-6. Minnesota is 2-4-6-6. So we've easily been the second best team in the division over the first four years of that time-frame, which is definitely not middle-of-the-road.

From 2011-2014, we were 13-7 which is winning 65% of the games. That's not great but that's not middle of the road. It's only when you add in last year's 1-5 (16%) in there that it drags the overall average down to 53.8%. From 11-14, Wisconsin was the class of the division at 18-2. Iowa was 9-9. Minnesota was 10-12. Northwestern was 8-11. So, again, we were easily the second best team in the West. In fact, only two schools were over .500 in the conference. Not great, but definitely not middle-of-the-road.

So the only reason to include last year's dismal results into the mix is to try to make people think we've been worse than we have by the way he presents the numbers.

If you are going to exclude 15 (3-5) because it was an outlier, then you probably should exclude 12 (7-1) as well.

30.7.... Almost 1/3 of our games we give the ball away 3 times or more. That number is horrible, BUT also shows how good we could be if we dropped that number. It's almost impossible to win, at all IMO, with TO's like that.

If we could lower one number and see an immediate turn around, it would be that one.

+1, agreed 100%. It is very hard to win games in any sport when you keep handing the ball to the other team.

• Fire 1

Very sobering numbers. I spit up all the Kool-Aid I've been drinking during summer. My hope is that this will be a transition year with better results in 2017 / 2018 / etc.

Why is this year another transition year? I understand Armstrong isn't the ideal QB for Riley/Langsdorf and the defense doesn't have great depth and experience on the d-line. But, there should be plenty of talent to challenge for the division championship.

I could see 2017 being a struggle year with a new starting QB, new WR's, and other turnover.

Plenty of talent to challenge for a division title? How the mighty have fallen!

• Fire 1

Very sobering numbers. I spit up all the Kool-Aid I've been drinking during summer. My hope is that this will be a transition year with better results in 2017 / 2018 / etc.

Why is this year another transition year? I understand Armstrong isn't the ideal QB for Riley/Langsdorf and the defense doesn't have great depth and experience on the d-line. But, there should be plenty of talent to challenge for the division championship.

I could see 2017 being a struggle year with a new starting QB, new WR's, and other turnover.

Plenty of talent to challenge for a division title? How the mighty have fallen!

Yes, it's very lame, but I think people are lowering their expectations to where we need another transition year.

• Fire 2

Simple eye test would conclude coming in 2nd in the Western division is very much middle of the road in a largely perceived "downish" Big Ten.

Numbers may paint it a little prettier, but 1 division title....it is what it is.

Yes, when you move the goalposts from comparing the division to comparing the country, it changes the answer.

I thought we were comparing the B1G and not just our division.

Well Nebraska ultimately wants to compete on a national level, no? Or should we just be super happy about tying for 2nd in one of the sh***est divisions in college football?

You can put the goalposts wherever you want. Anyone not wearing Red N apparel would look at our last 5 years as very pedestrian, sorry to burst your bubble.

Simple eye test would conclude coming in 2nd in the Western division is very much middle of the road in a largely perceived "downish" Big Ten.Numbers may paint it a little prettier, but 1 division title....it is what it is.

I thought we were comparing the B1G and not just our division.

Well if we ignore the better division in our conference and pretend there aren't 110+ other FBS teams....yeah, Nebraska is doing pretty awesome!