OWH: 10 Numbers for the Huskers in 2016

Mavric

Simple eye test would conclude coming in 2nd in the Western division is very much middle of the road in a largely perceived "downish" Big Ten.

Numbers may paint it a little prettier, but 1 division title....it is what it is.

Yes, when you move the goalposts from comparing the division to comparing the country, it changes the answer.

I thought we were comparing the B1G and not just our division.

The number Sam noted was only for division games.

Simple eye test would conclude coming in 2nd in the Western division is very much middle of the road in a largely perceived "downish" Big Ten.Numbers may paint it a little prettier, but 1 division title....it is what it is.

Yes, when you move the goalposts from comparing the division to comparing the country, it changes the answer.
I thought we were comparing the B1G and not just our division.

Well if we ignore the better division in our conference and pretend there aren't 110+ other FBS teams....yeah, Nebraska is doing pretty awesome!

Glad you agree with me that Sam is trying to down-play it. :thumbs

Leave it to Sam to throw in that last number to try to make it look like we've been a middle-of-the-road team in the West for the last five years.

Maybe because we have been?

5-3

7-1

5-3

5-3

3-5

Do you think that we haven't been?

2011 we were third out of six in the Legends division (Michigan, Michigan State)

2012 we won the Legends division

2013 we were third in the Legends division (Michigan State, Iowa)

2014 we were third of seven in the West division (Wisconsin, Minnesota)

2015 we were fourth of seven in the West division (Iowa, Northwestern, Wisconsin)

That's pretty middle-of-the-road.

2013 and 2014 we were tied for second, though we did lose the tie-breaker. But even that is a first and three thirds from 11-14. Wisconsin is better at 1-1-2-3. Iowa is 2-4-4-5. Northwestern is 3-5-5-6. Minnesota is 2-4-6-6. So we've easily been the second best team in the division over the first four years of that time-frame, which is definitely not middle-of-the-road.

From 2011-2014, we were 13-7 which is winning 65% of the games. That's not great but that's not middle of the road. It's only when you add in last year's 1-5 (16%) in there that it drags the overall average down to 53.8%. From 11-14, Wisconsin was the class of the division at 18-2. Iowa was 9-9. Minnesota was 10-12. Northwestern was 8-11. So, again, we were easily the second best team in the West. In fact, only two schools were over .500 in the conference. Not great, but definitely not middle-of-the-road.

So the only reason to include last year's dismal results into the mix is to try to make people think we've been worse than we have by the way he presents the numbers.

If you are going to exclude 15 (3-5) because it was an outlier, then you probably should exclude 12 (7-1) as well.

I'm not excluding 2015 because it's an outlier. I'm saying Sam is lumping it in with the other years to make the whole group look worse because he hates Bo and loves Riley.

Here's the deal. We had 4 years of Bo led Nebraska in the Big Ten and only have 1 thus far of Riley.

In that time Bo compiled a decent overall record, a middle of the road conference record, and 1 division title that MANY would like to forget ever happened. So Bo's 4 teams went 5-3, 7-1, 5-3 and 5-3. I mean, cripes....that average absolutely SCREEEEAMS middle of the road to me. Sure 2012's record looks nice on paper but you can't tell me you are happy with that season's footprint.

Lumping Riley's stinker of a 6-7 (3-5) isn't fair when looking at Nebraska over the last 5 years because it doesn't tell the whole story. It only tells what we have accomplished as a program in that window, not what we will accomplish. I'm not defending or detracting the original OWH article because I didn't read it yet, just what was quoted.

Honestly I don't even know what argument you are trying to push here anymore. Nebraska has been the definition of middle of the road for quite some time now. Finishing at the bottom of the top 25 or not even in it and having no conference titles since before the turn of the centry is very very average by college football standards.

Remember when "we" were going to dominate the Big Ten because "we" were so much faster and had Texas speed. Ugggg!

We also had a ceiling that we didn't realize that we had already hit.

Tough to argue this when a career .500 coach approaching the end of his less than illustrious career is the replacement of a .700 "ceiling" coach.

• Fire 1

Remember when "we" were going to dominate the Big Ten because "we" were so much faster and had Texas speed. Ugggg!

We also had a ceiling that we didn't realize that we had already hit.

Tough to argue this when a career .500 coach approaching the end of his less than illustrious career is the replacement of a .700 "ceiling" coach.

It absolutely baffles me how you continually defend the .700 coach with the logic that .700 was what we should settle for.

Sorry we didn't hire the guy you wanted. I hope the healing can begin.

So the only reason to include last year's dismal results into the mix is to try to make people think we've been worse than we have by the way he presents the numbers.

This.

This what?

So Rileys cruddy debut makes Bo's lackluster 4 final years look a little worse. Who gives a damn? Bo's exit made his legacy worse than adding our 6-7 year did.

Leave it to Sam to throw in that last number to try to make it look like we've been a middle-of-the-road team in the West for the last five years.

5-3

7-1

5-3

5-3

3-5

2011 we were third out of six in the Legends division (Michigan, Michigan State)

2015 we were fourth of seven in the West division (Iowa, Northwestern, Wisconsin)

2013 and 2014 we were tied for second, though we did lose the tie-breaker. But even that is a first and three thirds from 11-14. Wisconsin is better at 1-1-2-3. Iowa is 2-4-4-5. Northwestern is 3-5-5-6. Minnesota is 2-4-6-6. So we've easily been the second best team in the division over the first four years of that time-frame, which is definitely not middle-of-the-road.

From 2011-2014, we were 13-7 which is winning 65% of the games. That's not great but that's not middle of the road. It's only when you add in last year's 1-5 (16%) in there that it drags the overall average down to 53.8%. From 11-14, Wisconsin was the class of the division at 18-2. Iowa was 9-9. Minnesota was 10-12. Northwestern was 8-11. So, again, we were easily the second best team in the West. In fact, only two schools were over .500 in the conference. Not great, but definitely not middle-of-the-road.

If you are going to exclude 15 (3-5) because it was an outlier, then you probably should exclude 12 (7-1) as well.

I'm not excluding 2015 because it's an outlier. I'm saying Sam is lumping it in with the other years to make the whole group look worse because he hates Bo and loves Riley.

Or Sam is just stating a fact? Not everything is a Bo vs Riley deal. :shrug:

5-3

7-1

5-3

5-3

3-5

Which shows why the previous staff needed to go.....they only cared about getting to that 9 win mark and nothing more.

5-3

7-1

5-3

5-3

3-5

Which shows why the previous staff needed to go.....they only cared about getting to that 9 win mark and nothing more.
Are there any comments in this thread saying Bo should have been retained?

5-3

7-1

5-3

5-3

3-5

Or Sam is just stating a fact? Not everything is a Bo vs Riley deal. :shrug:

This by itself, definitely not.

This together with Sam's obvious agenda over the past 12-16 months and it's pretty clear.