Microaggression, Hypersensitivity, and victimhood culture?

Essentially one might as well say "We live in the age of the victimhood culture!" This is derived, in part at least, from the politics of division spawned by the liberals attempting to corral entire voter groups into blocks that they can 'own' without significant campaign efforts each election cycle. By creating a political and social narrative that members of the designated social group are somehow being victimized or unfairly treated by some other social group, the organizers intend to divide and conquer politically. This modus operandi has been dramatically ramped up and put into action by the Democrat party over the past 40 years. It is really a part of the overall effort to deeply entrench and embed a certain political thought or mindset amongst the population at large which declares as a matter of fact a political and social worldview that favors one political party (the Democrats) over the other parties (Republicans, et al).

Once the underlying notion is spread sufficiently to be commonly understood or even accepted as reality, then the next step is to place political and societal blame on the opposing party (the Republicans) and to foster hate and anger and outrage towards the same.

Jesus.

Yeah, Jesus is right.

You know you're in "great sources" territory when CD is exuberant.

bps.png

Here's a WaPo article: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/10/28/the-war-over-words-literally-on-some-american-campuses-where-asking-where-are-you-from-is-a-microaggression/

I tend to agree with this from the closing paragraph:

“Why are people of color raising these issues,” he said in an interview with The Post. “Not because they see themselves as victims,” as Manning and Campbell suggest. “Microagressions have empowered them by giving them a language of expression."

Jesus.

Yeah, Jesus is right.

You know you're in "great sources" territory when CD is exuberant.

Here's a WaPo article: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/10/28/the-war-over-words-literally-on-some-american-campuses-where-asking-where-are-you-from-is-a-microaggression/

I tend to agree with this from the closing paragraph:

“Why are people of color raising these issues,” he said in an interview with The Post. “Not because they see themselves as victims,” as Manning and Campbell suggest. “Microagressions have empowered them by giving them a language of expression."

You definitely confused(?) my alleged "exuberance" with genuine surprise. Please don't mischaracterize me like that.

:include But this as I had no idea what this thread was about: The term “microaggression” was used by Columbia professor Derald Sue to refer to “brief and commonplace daily verbal, behavioral, and environmental indignities, whether intentional or unintentional, that communicate hostile, derogatory, or negative racial, gender, sexual orientation and religious slights and insults to the target person or group.”

https://www.buzzfeed.com/hnigatu/racial-microagressions-you-hear-on-a-daily-basis?utm_term=.arJBNJlpGn#.mrzB4oJ9dA

:include But this as I had no idea what this thread was about: The term “microaggression” was used by Columbia professor Derald Sue to refer to “brief and commonplace daily verbal, behavioral, and environmental indignities, whether intentional or unintentional, that communicate hostile, derogatory, or negative racial, gender, sexual orientation and religious slights and insults to the target person or group.”

https://www.buzzfeed.com/hnigatu/racial-microagressions-you-hear-on-a-daily-basis?utm_term=.arJBNJlpGn#.mrzB4oJ9dA

This is where i just want to bang my head against the wall. Watching the first video in the OP, this is a prime example of people just looking for ways to be offended. Why the hell would someone be offended by someone saying "bless you" after a sneeze? I don't get offended if someone from a totally different religion says something around me or to me that pertains to their religion.

It's just idiotic. Micro means small. Maybe we need to concentrate on the fact that these people are making a big deal out of something extremely small and meaningless.

• Fire 3

This is where i just want to bang my head against the wall. Watching the first video in the OP, this is a prime example of people just looking for ways to be offended. Why the hell would someone be offended by someone saying "bless you" after a sneeze? I don't get offended if someone from a totally different religion says something around me or to me that pertains to their religion.

It's just idiotic. Micro means small. Maybe we need to concentrate on the fact that these people are making a big deal out of something extremely small and meaningless.

BRB, In our 'Facebook' culture, everything is about "ME" the story lines, the pictures, what I'm doing (farting on the stool - it gets that low), etc. We are so ME centered as a society we cannot communicate without texting, tweeting, or posting. We don't really talk to people anymore - (We: generality about our society). So since it is all about ME when someone says the smallest micro thing it is reason to take offense because the comment wasn't applicable to me as you note above - someone being offended by 'bless you'. They fail to look at the heart. "Bless you' is expressing good will it isn't forcing faith on the person.

The point is not that they are single, huge offenses. It's that they are a million little cuts that, in sum, can negatively impact a person's experience in this country.

Here are a few examples. Again, the point is not that if you say these things, you're a horrible human being. They just subtly reveal the ways in which we (all) automatically drop people into buckets and regard them differently -- i.e, ethnic people as curiosities who constantly surprise those around them by "acting white", or professional women as shoe models always complimented on their fashion choices first, work quality second. If you've gone through life without ever being asked "So, what other country are you from?", then you have had the luxury of everyone around you assuming you were a natural part of this one. Lucky you.

It's not a straightforward topic (social etiquette is never simple!), but I think a little more awareness all around is good. Don't feel as you have to apologize or defend yourself.

@TG, as an atheist by the way, I've *always* found it very odd to say or receive "Bless you", or in particular "God bless you." I'm thankful that we seem to have generally moderated it to the former. I do know that people mean well, so there's no offense taken. But it does plainly carry a "Hey, we're all Christians here, right?" message to it. I say it, too, to be polite but I can't help but feel a little deceptive when I do. At the end of the day, it's just simpler to be a white Christian guy in America -- not that my life's been some terrible burden.

Another example is "Prayers for ____". It's a standard, almost universal thing to say, but I'm neither Christian nor wish to appear rude. Anyway -- Gesundheit!

The point is not that they are single, huge offenses. It's that they are a million little cuts that, in sum, can negatively impact a person's experience in this country.
Here are a few examples. Again, the point is not that if you say these things, you're a horrible human being. They just subtly reveal the ways in which we (all) automatically drop people into buckets and regard them differently -- i.e, ethnic people as curiosities who constantly surprise those around them by "acting white", or professional women as shoe models always complimented on their fashion choices first, work quality second. If you've gone through life without ever being asked "So, what other country are you from?", then you have had the luxury of everyone around you assuming you were a natural part of this one. Lucky you.
It's not a straightforward topic (social etiquette is never simple!), but I think a little more awareness all around is good. Don't feel as you have to apologize or defend yourself.
@TG, as an atheist by the way, I've *always* found it very odd to say or receive "Bless you", or in particular "God bless you." I'm thankful that we seem to have generally moderated it to the former. I do know that people mean well, so there's no offense taken. But it does plainly carry a "Hey, we're all Christians here, right?" message to it. I say it, too, to be polite but I can't help but feel a little deceptive when I do. At the end of the day, it's just simpler to be a white Christian guy in America -- not that my life's been some terrible burden.
Another example is "Prayers for ____". It's a standard, almost universal thing to say, but I'm neither Christian nor wish to appear rude. Anyway -- Gesundheit!

I'm sorry....but BS.

It's called conversation and being around other people. The only way these things don't happen is if people just flat out don't talk to each other. But, then people would be offended for that...I'm sure.

When I'm in a crowd and around strange people, I'm sure if I really looked hard, I could find a reason to be offended. But....Who gives a rip??? When you start promoting the fact that these littlest of comments are some type of vast offensive experience, then you lose control of your own happiness. Get over it and grow some thicker skin.

• Fire 4

Yeah btw, I think microagressions are a pretty stupid thing to be given macro attention, personally. My original "Jesus." comment was in regards to 84HuskerLaw, but not towards the opposition towards the American college move towards hypersensitivity, which I think has gone way further than it needs to be.

I'm all for being careful about the language I use. I'm also all for people having a backbone and being able to put up with others not catering to their wishes. The world isn't a safe space. Office environments after college aren't safe spaces. Those don't exist, and there's no need for them to exist in places that burden others around you to cater towards. Your safe space should be by yourself at home.