The Blackshirts have been handed out

knapplc

I forget. Are we pro or con blackshirts being handed out before the first game?

Also, where do we stand on the exact number of Blackshirts that are handed out?

Personally, I think there should only be 11.

That doesn't make any sense with the way football is played today. Guys that don't start could still play more reps because of different personnel packages.

To bad. If you're not a starter, you shouldn't get one, but that's just me.

But football isn't like baseball. Should a linebacker lose his blackshirt one week because we are playing against a team that requires us to be in more nickel and dime packages? I think the Blackshirts should go to all the guys on first string. They may not start, but they are the best at their position.

I can see the argument for that but only 11 guys start each week.

So how do you hand out Blackshirts for practice if the opponent's first formation determines which guys are starting?

How does that happen? You wait until your opponent lines up before deciding who you are going to send out on the field? I'm pretty sure this never happens.

So if FSU starts out with 5 wide, we're going to stay in our base 4-3?

How do you know they are going to be in a 5 wide formation until they actually line up? By then it's too late to decide who you are sending out on the field.

That doesn't make any sense with the way football is played today. Guys that don't start could still play more reps because of different personnel packages.
But football isn't like baseball. Should a linebacker lose his blackshirt one week because we are playing against a team that requires us to be in more nickel and dime packages? I think the Blackshirts should go to all the guys on first string. They may not start, but they are the best at their position.
So how do you hand out Blackshirts for practice if the opponent's first formation determines which guys are starting?
How does that happen? You wait until your opponent lines up before deciding who you are going to send out on the field? I'm pretty sure this never happens.
How do you know they are going to be in a 5 wide formation until they actually line up? By then it's too late to decide who you are sending out on the field.
Because you watch wich personel are in the huddle. If they sub guys in and out before they break the huddle then the defense has the opportunity to do the same.

If 5 WR are in then it makes no sense to use 3 LBs to potentially cover them...

We've been giving blackshirts to Nickle guys and punter for awhile... christ...

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.
  • Fire 1

Elf must not watch a lot of football.

late to the party. This was figured out a long time ago.

Does anyone remember Ark St 2012. The day Bo had a heart attack/stroke during the game? Bo argued before the game and during early on-and won-that the officials-by rule I add-give us sufficient time to change personnel whenever Ark St did in their no huddle attack. Malzahn was their coach then, using his shenanigans there. He was all pissed off cuz of course, we were kinda taking advantage of this by taking our time with our changes to slow the tempo some. So yeah. it's a rule. If the offense changes pers, the def is supposed to be given legit opportunity to match. If the offense doesnt, then they can go as fast as they want. This is what made Chip kellys Oregon stuff so effective. He perfected the craft of finding a bad matchup in his favor, then that's when they put the pedal down, using the same pers and going so fast that the defense literally had zero chance to change. The teams that had defensive success against Oregon were the ones that kept themselves from routinely being in those mismatches to begin with. Preparation won it.

• 2 weeks later...