What did we learn-Fresno St edition

JJ Husker

14-10 @ Half against Fresno St. If a big 14 tournament were held today Huskers would finish 5th at best. I think weve seen Armstrongs ceiling. I dont see any other power schools in our conference suddenly getting much worse, It looks like a Credit Union bowl type of year AGAIN. Dont get me wrong, I love Husker football. I just cant remember the last time I saw it.

5th best? We more than covered the spread and showed our talent all game. Hell, Michigan state only beat furman by, what, 15 points? Who the hell is Furman?

I learned that apparently I have a different set of eyes than everyone else, cuz Gifford certainly did nothing but lead with his arms and two-hand touched the QB to the ground. And it was not late. Watch the replay in real time. He was lunging for the QB before the ball left his hand. Perhaps his helmet hit the QB's; but if touching helmets = targeting, then every lineman should be ejected in the first series of play.

More importantly, I learned I have some serious respect for FSU. What an awesome gesture declining the delay of game on our first punt. +rep

• Fire 7

We're miles ahead of where we ended lasted year but still have some work to do.

Might as well just accept that guy's are gking to get penalized and ejected for playing the game correctly.

Finally got some 2nd and 3rd team players game experience, the way we want to.

Ozigbo runs hard and we've got Tre Bryant for a long time.

Disagree on the bold. A real QB will shred this team, which was a problem last year, although the staff finally seemed to settle on how they want to run the ball which should help this team.

I'm going to get flamed for this, but the targeting rule was the right call. Gifford hit the QB with his helmet, it doesn't matter if it was not intentional or if it wasn't severe. It's targeting and was enforced according to the rule.

Great to see a 0 turnover game.

Helmet-to-helmet contact does not equal targeting. If that were the case, everyone would get ejected.

• Fire 2

- Lamar Jackson learned that college football isn't high school.

- Fresno State had 243 yards passing, but only 5.7 ypa. Nebraska would take that ypa every single game.

- The Peck kid from Fresno had 9 receptions for 112 yards, while being covered mostly by...Lamar Jackson.

- The remaining Fresno receivers had 15 receptions for 131 yards. Meaning, the secondary guys who had any experience were pretty solid against the pass.

I'm not bashing Jackson - just pointing out that all the complaining about the pass D seems a bit premature. The ultra-talented true freshman played a lot tonight, probably more than he'll play in any game the rest of the year (excluding Oregon), and it took him a bit to get his feet under him. Credit Fresno - they found a weakness and went after it. Jackson will do nothing but improve the rest of the season. I don't think we need to panic about the pass D yet, especially considering Gerry didn't play, not to mention the fact the coaching staff didn't have a great idea of what they'd see from Fresno.

Offensively, they had a game plan that was purely about winning the game, not about style points. It wasn't pretty at times, but it was clearly effective as they owned the 4th quarter. There's a lot to like, but plenty of things to work on - probably exactly what a coach would want after game one.

• Fire 4

I guess another thing to be learned is that some fans, when presented with numerous areas of vast improvement, will still bitch and moan after only one game. Not sure what it would take to get them to acknowledge the obvious areas of improvement instead of just focusing on the things that also obviously need more work.

Enjoy the win and that at least some things improved ffs.

All Nebraska did today was play 1 half of good football against a very poor team, with a new coaching staff and a rFR QB. I'm happy that we were able to run against a bad team, which wasn't always the case last year, as well as 0 turnovers. But I didn't see much talent on the Fresno side of the ball, and they hung with us and gave us a scare. For a team ranked somewhere in the 100s in almost every major category last season, that is not a positive.

Based on today, I cannot say with any measure of confidence that Nebraska will win the division. Fans sick of negativity need to realize that, at this point, people aren't going to give them the benefit of the doubt until they earn it. A decade and a half of futility will do that to you ffs.

Good thing a football game is two halves and not just one. And I'm sure with all the Foltz tributes they had, the start of the game was hard on them and I'm pretty sure that had some effect on their play early on.

• Fire 3

I guess another thing to be learned is that some fans, when presented with numerous areas of vast improvement, will still bitch and moan after only one game. Not sure what it would take to get them to acknowledge the obvious areas of improvement instead of just focusing on the things that also obviously need more work.

All Nebraska did today was play 1 half of good football against a very poor team, with a new coaching staff and a rFR QB. I'm happy that we were able to run against a bad team, which wasn't always the case last year, as well as 0 turnovers. But I didn't see much talent on the Fresno side of the ball, and they hung with us and gave us a scare. For a team ranked somewhere in the 100s in almost every major category last season, that is not a positive.

Based on today, I cannot say with any measure of confidence that Nebraska will win the division. Fans sick of negativity need to realize that, at this point, people aren't going to give them the benefit of the doubt until they earn it. A decade and a half of futility will do that to you ffs.

"And they hung with us and gave us a scare"? We won 43-10, what game were you watching rofl?

• Fire 4

"And they hung with us and gave us a scare"? We won 43-10, what game were you watching rofl?
I was worried at halftime but we were still winning. I never thought at all during the game we would lose...

I guess we were watching different games. What I saw was a 43-10 win and a few significant improvements that likely, if they had occurred last season, would've changed the outcome of all but 1 or 2 of our losses. Don't worry, I also saw the things that need work and I am not satisfied with where we are yet. But I do think offensive play calling, a willingness to establish the run, zero turnovers, Tommy not being made to be a pocket passer, a very capable stable of RB's, and O line improvement, to mention the big ones, are worthy of some praise and acknowledgement. Anybody who can't celebrate those things, at least a little bit, is going to struggle ever being satisfied. Good luck with your enjoyment of the rest of the season.

• Fire 2

1. I think our toughest opponent on the schedule is still ourselves.

The second half is precisely why the first half was so frustrating..... we know what they can do, they just have those periods where they can't get out of their own way. I'm actually glad to see Riley kind of salty at the end of the game, despite the result.... I know that he won't be pleased about the blocked punt, the procedure penalty that wiped out the first down right after, and then another egregious targeting foul giving them new possession.

That whole sequence of events is what kept happening last year and why so many of those last-second losses eventuated.... all I was looking for tonight was to see Nebraska play a complete game without such costly lapses. It was disheartening to see it still happen. I'm happy that they managed to dominate the second half and make it a non issue, but that isn't gonna play against Oregon.

2. The officiating seems to get worse and worse and worse every year, with players, fans, and announcers all completely befuddled all the time.

Yeah if Ryker Fyfe is in the game and there isn't an injury.......

I'm going to get flamed for this, but the targeting rule was the right call. Gifford hit the QB with his helmet, it doesn't matter if it was not intentional or if it wasn't severe. It's targeting and was enforced according to the rule.

Nope.

Target—to take aim at an opponent for purposes of attacking with an apparent intent that goes beyond making a legal tackle or a legal block or playing the ball.

http://www.afca.com/article/article.php?id=2342

The officials are supposed to put intent into their judgement, aka "vicious" hits.

• Fire 1

You can't push QBs too hard.

You can't spin a football in celebratory fashion.

Rush defense is still stout as f#*k.

Fresno's QB would qualify for the "graveyard".

Offensive line continues to improve.

Armstrong and Newby have hit their ceiling.

Future looks bright at runningback. Would like to see Ozigbo-Bryant as 1-2 by midseason.

Still far too penalized.

Still far too many miscues.

• Fire 8