Kudos to Riley and Langsdorf

I'm always towards the back of the pack of people saying, "Let's put so-and-so in there!!!!1" I'm going to assume that one major downfall of just starting Lee outright is a lack of knowledge of the playbook. That's obviously a huge deal; you call a play where he thinks Moore is running a curl route, but instead he goes long...etc., etc.

But I do wonder about the possibility down the stretch, if Lee's arm is significantly more accurate than Tommy's (and this may not even be remotely true) - What would be so wrong about bringing Lee in on third downs to throw? This is a known quantity in college football. It's not a crazy idea.

I'm always towards the back of the pack of people saying, "Let's put so-and-so in there!!!!1" I'm going to assume that one major downfall of just starting Lee outright is a lack of knowledge of the playbook. That's obviously a huge deal; you call a play where he thinks Moore is running a curl route, but instead he goes long...etc., etc.

But I do wonder about the possibility down the stretch, if Lee's arm is significantly more accurate than Tommy's (and this may not even be remotely true) - What would be so wrong about bringing Lee in on third downs to throw? This is a known quantity in college football. It's not a crazy idea.

Do you realize that Lee is not eligible this year, as he transferred from Tulane?

All this talk about Lee is worthless for this year. Yes, he is probably the front-runner for the starting QB for 2017, but he shouldn't even be brought up this year.

• Fire 1

:facepalm:

Lee CAN'T play this year at all. He isn't even an option. So....to bring him up when discussing this year is a total waste of time.

Well. Like I said, we'll see come bigten play when we cant run the ball effectively and throwing is the only choice the route they choose to take.

As far as the Lee comment? No sh#t sherlock. That's the whole point to gettin through this year for a better guy next year. Duh.

Maybe I read to much into some of these things, but there just appears to be some weird things going on. And maybe apathetic isnt the right word. And its difficult to relay my thoughts on this into words, so I'm sorry if you dont get my drift. Tommy isnt a good fit. And these coaches comfort zone isnt a good fit for Armstrong. We all know that. So what I see happening is it coming down to how do we wanna go down. We are gonna have to be able to throw the ball at some point to win some games. It's that simple. If we continue on this philosophy, these coaches are taking the game completely out of the hands of the qb. That's pretty telling to me.

So....you just think the coaches really don't give a crap about this year because they know they will have better QBs in the future.

They just don't give a crap if they lose games this year.

Armstrong has as much throwing ability as the converted receiver at Houston. Personally, I think he's on par with most of the spread option oriented QBs out there. He's just not a pro style QB who's going to sit in the pocket and work through progressions all that successfully - though as coloradohusker's breakdown shows, he wasn't as bad as described by many.

It's no secret that this coaching staff doesn't want to rely on the run to win. And it doesn't like the limitations Armstrong brings to the table.

I personally don't think those are encouraging statements from the staff.

But it's hard for me to judge either the coaching staff or Armstrong if the fit is as unworkable as the staff alludes to.

Maybe with a different QB, this offensive staff would look better.

Maybe in a different offense, Armstrong would look better.

:facepalm:

Lee CAN'T play this year at all. He isn't even an option. So....to bring him up when discussing this year is a total waste of time.

Oh my. Yes, sorry! A major gaffe on my part.

Listening to Sharp & Benning this morning, they are befuddled with Langsdorf's critique of the passing game. Brian Christopherson from the LJS said he will try to follow up this week on that issue.

They did say that the passing game is more than just #4, and it includes the receivers, tight ends, and RB's. Maybe the WR's weren't as sharp as they needed to be without Keith Williams.

If I'm reading between the lines of Saturday's game and the quotes from summer camp, I think the coaching staff is frustrated by Tommy's lack of progress in the passing game.

I don't even think you have to read between too many lines for that. Most every time Langs talks about it he refers to missing throws they have to make or some derivation thereof.

I imagine Langsdorf views the entire situation right now as missed opportunities, and although a lot of it doesn't fall on TA, a good chunk of it odes. I think Langsdorf's offensive strategies right now are pretty limited, and a fine example is the screen game or lack there of.

We can talk all we want about fitting the schemes to the players, and there is a necessity to do that, but we should also keep in perspective these coaches are probably incapable of doing a large number of things they'd like to. Things that could be very beneficial with the right players and execution.

Well. Like I said, we'll see come bigten play when we cant run the ball effectively and throwing is the only choice the route they choose to take.

As far as the Lee comment? No sh#t sherlock. That's the whole point to gettin through this year for a better guy next year. Duh.

Maybe I read to much into some of these things, but there just appears to be some weird things going on. And maybe apathetic isnt the right word. And its difficult to relay my thoughts on this into words, so I'm sorry if you dont get my drift. Tommy isnt a good fit. And these coaches comfort zone isnt a good fit for Armstrong. We all know that. So what I see happening is it coming down to how do we wanna go down. We are gonna have to be able to throw the ball at some point to win some games. It's that simple. If we continue on this philosophy, these coaches are taking the game completely out of the hands of the qb. That's pretty telling to me.

So....you just think the coaches really don't give a crap about this year because they know they will have better QBs in the future.

Nope. just that they are going to do what they can to get around something that just isnt a fit. if we cant throw the ball, we cant throw the ball. So I think theyre at a point where, why try to force it as we did last year. All ppl did all offseason was piss and moan about the misuse of Armstrong last year. Throwing too many passes etc. So let's say we throw it ten times a game last year and still go 5-7? What changes? You have to have some sort of balance. It's just the way it is. But I feel like these guys are kind of 2009ish, in where we're gonna hunker down and do what we can, and not put our guy in a situation where we're giving him a shovel.

Youre still dwelling on my misuse of the word apathetic. i thought I already explained it was the wrong wording?

Yep. i did.

these are my overthinking opinions. After this week, if we struggle to run the ball, and we're in dogfight at half, only this time theres no sign of us simply being able to impose our will, and Tommy gets the game put in his hands, we'll know. We'll know if my premonition is correct, or if it's just a knee jerk analysis of game 1. Thought a lot of my evidence comes from things prior to game 1.

If I'm reading between the lines of Saturday's game and the quotes from summer camp, I think the coaching staff is frustrated by Tommy's lack of progress in the passing game.

I don't even think you have to read between too many lines for that. Most every time Langs talks about it he refers to missing throws they have to make or some derivation thereof.

I imagine Langsdorf views the entire situation right now as missed opportunities, and although a lot of it doesn't fall on TA, a good chunk of it odes. I think Langsdorf's offensive strategies right now are pretty limited, and a fine example is the screen game or lack there of.

We can talk all we want about fitting the schemes to the players, and there is a necessity to do that, but we should also keep in perspective these coaches are probably incapable of doing a large number of things they'd like to. Things that could be very beneficial with the right players and execution.

certain coaches know certain things. These guys dont come from read option and RPO history. So do we prefer them wasting time teaching something theyre not comfortable with, and putting of the perfecting of their level of expertise? or do we want them to go ahead and install their own system and just roll with it and folks just being patient with it?

I ask guys, would you rather have a Mexican teaching spanish, or teaching french?

Another way to look at it:

It was the first game of the year after an extremely problematic camp.

The coaches scaled the offense down to what worked best in practice. Apparently the Huskers still did not execute to the coaches' satisfaction.

And Nebraska won 43-10, thanks to dominating line play on both sides of the ball.

If you have to get your first game jitters and rust out of the way, that wasn't a bad way to go.

• Fire 1

Nope. just that they are going to do what they can to get around something that just isnt a fit. if we cant throw the ball, we cant throw the ball. So I think theyre at a point where, why try to force it as we did last year. All ppl did all offseason was piss and moan about the misuse of Armstrong last year. Throwing too many passes etc. So let's say we throw it ten times a game last year and still go 5-7? What changes? You have to have some sort of balance. It's just the way it is. But I feel like these guys are kind of 2009ish, in where we're gonna hunker down and do what we can, and not put our guy in a situation where we're giving him a shovel.

Youre still dwelling on my misuse of the word apathetic. i thought I already explained it was the wrong wording?

Yep. i did.

these are my overthinking opinions. After this week, if we struggle to run the ball, and we're in dogfight at half, only this time theres no sign of us simply being able to impose our will, and Tommy gets the game put in his hands, we'll know. We'll know if my premonition is correct, or if it's just a knee jerk analysis of game 1. Thought a lot of my evidence comes from things prior to game 1.

Well, I tried staying away from that word and figure out where you are trying to go with this.

If you are saying the staff feels frustration that they don't have a QB that can pass the ball better and that they are going everything they can to win games with what they have...then we can agree. They are trying their best to adjust their game plans to account for their talent. Then, I can agree with you.

He isn't the best passer but he is good at running. I also saw an O line that is pretty decent at run blocking on Saturday. So, I expect they will do everything they can to build on that to have a successful season.

Yep. i did.

Well, I tried staying away from that word and figure out where you are trying to go with this.

If you are saying the staff feels frustration that they don't have a QB that can pass the ball better and that they are going everything they can to win games with what they have...then we can agree. They are trying their best to adjust their game plans to account for their talent. Then, I can agree with you.

He isn't the best passer but he is good at running. I also saw an O line that is pretty decent at run blocking on Saturday. So, I expect they will do everything they can to build on that to have a successful season.

Thank you.

It was good to see the heavy run game. But man, where in the world in that playbook does it draw up big runs for our backs? I hope they speak up if they ever get frustrated running 4 yards up the middle...play after play after play.... :bang

There's not very many plays in the inside run game guaranteed to gap for a big play. That's usually just a product of flawless execution combined with an array of mistakes/misalignemtn by the defense

But I agree. Hopefully at some point our execution improves the the point of being able to pull some of these off.