Impressed with the D Line

I saw Freedom inside on a few plays or I thought I did. Anyone else see this during the game too? It may have only been a play or two he was inside. The D-line is looking good and that makes me think Parrella is getting the most out of what he has.

Yeah, pretty sure he was inside at more of a DT position on at least a couple plays. But I don't really remember the situation now - I'm assuming pass rush package.

I think that's part of the 30 package that Banker likes to use in pass rush situations. They use 3 down linemen, 2 LB's, and 6 DB's. Freedom would slide inside if one of the LB's is being asked to rush.

Are you sure? I think they were playing a 3-3-5.

I felt the same way about the line's performance against Fresno St. that I did about it last year - looks fairly good against the run but not a lot of difference making pass rushers. We're probably going to have to rely on a lot of blitzes this year to get pressure.

However, we're not very deep along the lines yet so I kind of expected this. The other thing to keep in my mind is Parrella really hasn't had a lot of time to work with these guys - just the spring and fall camp. I imagine they could be one of the more improved units come season's end.

I saw Freedom inside on a few plays or I thought I did. Anyone else see this during the game too? It may have only been a play or two he was inside. The D-line is looking good and that makes me think Parrella is getting the most out of what he has.

Yeah, pretty sure he was inside at more of a DT position on at least a couple plays. But I don't really remember the situation now - I'm assuming pass rush package.

I think that's part of the 30 package that Banker likes to use in pass rush situations. They use 3 down linemen, 2 LB's, and 6 DB's. Freedom would slide inside if one of the LB's is being asked to rush.

No, I'm not 100% sure. I thought Banker called his dime package the 30 package. That would be 3 DL, 2 LBs, and 6 DBs. I could be wrong on that though.

No, I'm not 100% sure. I thought Banker called his dime package the 30 package. That would be 3 DL, 2 LBs, and 6 DBs. I could be wrong on that though.

I think the 30 package is a 3-man front without specifying the back 8.

I think you're right, generally. But they may have switched it up a bit. Newby was usually the linebacker on the outside of Freedom in that package. The backers seemed to be moving around a bit, trying to create confusion. It seems to have worked, at least on us. :)

Also I noticed Maurice and Stoltenberg switch sides a few times in the middle, based on instruction from the sidelines. I can also say Dzuris was subbed out more frequently than Freedom. Natter seemed to be the primary backup for both ends. Alex Davis and Natter played a series together with the first team, with Davis on the left and Natter on the right. Natter is the only defensive end I saw play both sides.

• Fire 1

I thought the D-Line looked pretty good. Great run defense as always, and they pressured the quarterback a lot too, forcing him to throw (thus the grounding penalty, too).

The grounding penalty was caused by a nice blitz by Lamar Jackson, but yes, I agree that the d-line did get some good pressure on the QB. The D didn't get any sacks without blitzing, but good pressure from the front 4 did force the QB to throw the ball early and inaccurate at times.

I will throw out this football saying again "Pressure on the QB forces interceptions, while good coverage by the secondary forces sacks."