Impressed with the D Line

Against the run they're stout. Pass rush needs to get better sooner rather than later though or experienced QB's are going to pick them apart.

They were running QB contain most of the night so take what you saw with a grain of salt. Stoltenberg and the DE's were defenintly spying the qb, they respected his running ability.

The only one early on and through out the night i saw rush the passer hard was Maurice, and he did good.

When they let the boys get after the passer in a dedicated puss rush i liked what i saw.

That and their QB got rid of the ball quickly. Many times we had a guy bearing down on him. He just got rid of the ball.

• Fire 1

I thought the d-line played very well. Freedom was showing good speed off the edge, and I thought he was getting held quite a bit. Dzuris is a solid player and made some nice plays on Saturday. I liked what I saw from Stoltenburg and Maurice in the middle.

Overall, the Blackshirts had 4 sacks, which is a very good number. Yes, they came as a result of a blitz, but they were good calls by Banker.

I see this a lot. "how we gonna get pressure with our 4?" Well, first off, it's 5 on 4. Sometimes 6 on 4. So it's just not gonna happen often. Watch a whole bunch of games and tell me how many teams are consistently getting pressure with only 4. Aside from the teams that have a big boy stud rush end, it's pretty much none. But what you really want from a Dline, especially a young one like we have, is being technically sound against the zone game, and not taking themselves out of the play. I thought these guys did pretty well for game one. And like Ive said all fall, this young and inexperienced Dline has two things going for them. Two level of straight up ballers behind them.

Very good comments. It really is tough to get consistant pressure with 4 unless you truely have studly elite talent at the D-line. The D-line is what it is. It will get better as the year goes on. I would rather have a stout run defense every game and have to bring extra guys to get a little pressure.

I see this a lot. "how we gonna get pressure with our 4?" Well, first off, it's 5 on 4. Sometimes 6 on 4. So it's just not gonna happen often. Watch a whole bunch of games and tell me how many teams are consistently getting pressure with only 4. Aside from the teams that have a big boy stud rush end, it's pretty much none. But what you really want from a Dline, especially a young one like we have, is being technically sound against the zone game, and not taking themselves out of the play. I thought these guys did pretty well for game one. And like Ive said all fall, this young and inexperienced Dline has two things going for them. Two level of straight up ballers behind them.

Very good comments. It really is tough to get consistant pressure with 4 unless you truely have studly elite talent at the D-line. The D-line is what it is. It will get better as the year goes on. I would rather have a stout run defense every game and have to bring extra guys to get a little pressure.

Agree, and this is why my comment in this thread really was about the front 7. The DL did a good job of eating up blockers and plugging running lanes which allowed the LBs to fill holes and make plays either in the run game or blitzing on pass plays. Many times we had a DE just almost there to make a play or rush the pass even though the QB was getting rid of the ball quickly.

Parella at least has Freedom and Dzuris playing on the correct sides now. Freedom at LE and Dzuris at RE was nonsense.

I thought they switched sides based on situation last season and did so again against FSU, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Just watched the game again. #88 played only LE and #91 played only RE, regardless of how Fresno lined up on offense.

• Fire 1

Parella at least has Freedom and Dzuris playing on the correct sides now. Freedom at LE and Dzuris at RE was nonsense.

I thought they switched sides based on situation last season and did so again against FSU, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Just watched the game again. #88 played only LE and #91 played only RE, regardless of how Fresno lined up on offense.

Good to know

Wyoming passed for 245 and rushed for 243. Their QB ran 10 times for 70 yards. He must be at least a little mobile and can make plays with his legs.

The front 7 is going to have to play well together again this week.

Banker talked about him being able to beat you with his feet or legs. A true dual threat.

That should go in the crazy crap Banker says thread.

I saw Freedom inside on a few plays or I thought I did. Anyone else see this during the game too? It may have only been a play or two he was inside. The D-line is looking good and that makes me think Parrella is getting the most out of what he has.

The only thing I can think of is when a linebacker or defensive back would sneak up to the line showing blitz on a couple plays.

Focusing on the defensive line the second time around, I'm even more encouraged by the work Parella is doing. These guys should progress nicely as the season goes on.

Wyoming passed for 245 and rushed for 243. Their QB ran 10 times for 70 yards. He must be at least a little mobile and can make plays with his legs.

The front 7 is going to have to play well together again this week.

Banker talked about him being able to beat you with his feet or legs. A true dual threat.

That should go in the crazy crap Banker says thread.

hahaha. My bad. Arm or leg.

I saw Freedom inside on a few plays or I thought I did. Anyone else see this during the game too? It may have only been a play or two he was inside. The D-line is looking good and that makes me think Parrella is getting the most out of what he has.

Yeah, pretty sure he was inside at more of a DT position on at least a couple plays. But I don't really remember the situation now - I'm assuming pass rush package.

Yeah, pretty sure he was inside at more of a DT position on at least a couple plays. But I don't really remember the situation now - I'm assuming pass rush package.

I think that's part of the 30 package that Banker likes to use in pass rush situations. They use 3 down linemen, 2 LB's, and 6 DB's. Freedom would slide inside if one of the LB's is being asked to rush.