“You can only sell 20 years ago for so long"- Mike Osborne

TGHusker

So true. Time to start making new history by beating the Ducks.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/16/sports/ncaafootball/nebraska-football-hopes-for-breakthrough.html?_r=0

Beating Oregon won't mean much in the long run. I'm telling you guys. Oregon is not winning more than 8 games this year. There's no way, new scheme on D plus the youth. I love Oregon but damn, if it's time to make new history, they need to be consistent by beating Oregon, Wisconsin, Ohio State and Iowa. Even still they need to bring a conference trophy home.

The championship is the glue that holds the season of good wins all together. Without it, becomes the usual.

So, we should just lose to your ducks then? Would that help us?

Uhhhhhh. No. I'm saying that Oregon isn't at the level it was from 2009-2014. So beating Oregon won't be as great as you guys are making it out to be (in the long run). Yes it would be a good win but not the huge win that everyone WANTS it to be.

"We did it with a very strong identity, and that was we were a very physical team, we were going to run the football ran the option so we knew who we were, Osborne said. It wasnt like one year we were one style, another we were another."

That quote caught my attention as well. It is all about identity and playing to that identity over a long period of time. Routine, routine, routine and pretty soon you get pretty darn good at it. Watching the option run to perfection was a thing of beauty.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/16/sports/ncaafootball/nebraska-football-hopes-for-breakthrough.html?_r=0

Beating Oregon won't mean much in the long run. I'm telling you guys. Oregon is not winning more than 8 games this year. There's no way, new scheme on D plus the youth. I love Oregon but damn, if it's time to make new history, they need to be consistent by beating Oregon, Wisconsin, Ohio State and Iowa. Even still they need to bring a conference trophy home.

The championship is the glue that holds the season of good wins all together. Without it, becomes the usual.

Uhhhhhh. No. I'm saying that Oregon isn't at the level it was from 2009-2014. So beating Oregon won't be as great as you guys are making it out to be (in the long run). Yes it would be a good win but not the huge win that everyone WANTS it to be.

You know how big this game is for the continued development of the program. Stop building a straw man so you can show your face around here next week after Nebraska beats Oregon with your "I told you so" BS.

• Fire 1

Jebus Coach;

I respect what you are saying, but give me a break. Yes, I understand they don't have Mariota any longer but acting as if their cupboards are bare, is for your benefit I believe, not for those of us who bleed red. While they started out rough last year, they played at MSU and only lost by 3, they beat Stanford, USC, Washington and played TCU in a bowl game losing only by 6.

I recognize last year was a different team and there has been changes in some of the players, but they have been a top 20 recruiting School for a good period of time. Chip Kelly inserted and re-tooled the hurry up offense to the umth degree and they are considered the pioneer of it now a days. Chip is gone but the scheme remains. It is tough to defend by anyone.

Look, I get it that the Huskers need to win more than this particular game to remove the stigma, but a win for the psych of our players is "HUGE" (pardon me Trump) for the Husker players and fans.

The scheme is way different from the Kelly era. While Oregon still rushes for bunches of yards. The way they do it is different. Chip ran alot of option plays along with the zone read. They rely MUCH more on the passing game than they did when Chip was around.

Formation wise they look the same, scheme wise and playcalling wise it's much different.

I'm not trying to lay waste to what Oregon has done and what they are but I just see Oregon sliding because recruiting has steadily declined every year since Chip left. That's on the coaches.

I do understand that perception is everything in CFB. So I understand that a win over Oregon does help the perception of NU. I just don't think it's as big of a jump that it would have been if this game were played 2-3 years ago.

• Fire 1

You know how big this game is for the continued development of the program. Stop building a straw man so you can show your face around here next week after Nebraska beats Oregon with your "I told you so" BS.

Seriously? I've never been that guy and never will. Making an assumption about me when you don't know me is a pretty low character move.

Wow T, you are certainly down on UO so far this year. Again, I think it is a combination of Oregon not being as good and the PAC 12 being better. I said before they really only had 3 sure wins on the schedule and I am not real sure about Colorado anymore, they seem to be a lot better than they were.

I wouldn't be surprised if Oregon won this game, but I am pretty confident they won't. I just don't see Nebraska getting down a couple of TD and panicking like they used to do under BP. If there is one good thing about MR's demeaner is that it has a calming effect on the sidelines. BP's manic nature made for his teams getting flustered.

Seriously? I've never been that guy and never will. Making an assumption about me when you don't know me is a pretty low character move.

We've also never played Oregon, and you kind of have come across that way recently. More and more as we've gotten closer to this game. You can insult my character all you want, but I'm just calling it how it sounds when being read by a Husker fan. I was trying to make it obvious so you could see that maybe self pity for Oregon is going to piss off some Husker fans on HUSKERBoard.com.

• Fire 2

So we should just not care and skip the game?

But, his assumption is true.

• Fire 1

We've also never played Oregon, and you kind of have come across that way recently. More and more as we've gotten closer to this game. You can insult my character all you want, but I'm just calling it how it sounds when being read by a Husker fan. I was trying to make it obvious so you could see that maybe self pity for Oregon is going to piss off some Husker fans on HUSKERBoard.com.

I don't think he is looking for pity or trying to do some other BS. Coach T and I discuss Oregon football a lot. I watch UO every week during the season. They couldn't stop anyone last year defesively and I don't think they will be able to stop anyone this year either.

They still have a lot of explosive skill players, that is for sure, but they are lacking some on the offensive and defensive lines. They will put up some points for sure on pretty much any defense, but they are not quite as good on offense as in the past. This is year 4 away from Chip Kelly, Helfrich is not the offensive mind that Kelly was at Oregon.

Nebraska will definitely have to play well, and play better than they have over the first 2 weeks of the season, but I have a good feeling about this game.

• Fire 1

In the Deed;

I too saw it as Coach prepping himself (in case of a loss). Not for the reason you stated (showing up next week to HB) but mentally, we all try to lesson the pain by pre-determining and justifying.

There are many Husker fans who do the same by saying things like, 'this game don't mean as much as it is not a conference game".

I get that, as that is true or a reality, but the ultimate goal is to win them all and while most of us may have doubts that we will get through our schedule unblemished, the psych of the team will flourish with every win and especially when you are playing a high profile game, one where the masses will recognize you beat a team that has been in the thick of it for many year now.

It is a stepping stone to the next challenge.

I am as guilty as the next guy in preparing myself for the pain of a loss, but to rid ourselves of the stigma, we have to go into each game with the expectations to win, otherwise the goals mean little and we flounder while expectations diminish.

"Great coaching can go a long way, which is why Oklahoma, a program similar to Nebraska in many ways, has been outstanding in recent decades during the long tenure of Bob Stoops."

Did anyone else have a problem with this little gem from the article? While I thought the article was a good read, this stood out like a sore thumb. I see very few if any similarities between OU and NU. First of all, OU is a direct neighbor to a recruiting hotbed. Second, OU still to this day has their true rivalry game with Texass. I guess I just don't see the programs being similar in any way other than history.

In the Deed;

I too saw it as Coach prepping himself (in case of a loss). Not for the reason you stated (showing up next week to HB) but mentally, we all try to lesson the pain by pre-determining and justifying.

There are many Husker fans who do the same by saying things like, 'this game don't mean as much as it is not a conference game".

I get that, as that is true or a reality, but the ultimate goal is to win them all and while most of us may have doubts that we will get through our schedule unblemished, the psych of the team will flourish with every win and especially when you are playing a high profile game, one where the masses will recognize you beat a team that has been in the thick of it for many year now.

It is a stepping stone to the next challenge.

I am as guilty as the next guy in preparing myself for the pain of a loss, but to rid ourselves of the stigma, we have to go into each game with the expectations to win, otherwise the goals mean little and we flounder while expectations diminish.

Edit: I also don't believe Coach to be that guy who needs to make excuses should Oregon lose a game during the season. I have read his postings throughout the time I have been here, and he has been pretty fair on the threads I have seen him post. For self serving purposes however, I hope he is closer to being right here then I am with regard to Oregons abilities and the outcome of this game.

Boy, I screwed that up. Quoted myself rather than editing within the same post. I-pad posting is a pain for me.

• Fire 1

Wow...some on here usually get all squirrely when a fan of an opposing team comes on here over confident. Coach comes on here humble and thinks his team isn't very good and that we should win and still gets lambasted.

I hope you are not referring to me BigRed, as that was not my intent. I just don't feel Oregon is what he is portraying.