“You can only sell 20 years ago for so long"- Mike Osborne

TGHusker

"Great coaching can go a long way, which is why Oklahoma, a program similar to Nebraska in many ways, has been outstanding in recent decades during the long tenure of Bob Stoops."

Did anyone else have a problem with this little gem from the article? While I thought the article was a good read, this stood out like a sore thumb. I see very few if any similarities between OU and NU. First of all, OU is a direct neighbor to a recruiting hotbed. Second, OU still to this day has their true rivalry game with Texass. I guess I just don't see the programs being similar in any way other than history.

When I read that, I thought why they call Stoops "Big Game Bob"... I then thought 1 MNC (2000) and 1 Berryman QPRS champion (2003) would not qualify as outstanding... Very good would be the upper limit, imo

Wow...some on here usually get all squirrely when a fan of an opposing team comes on here over confident. Coach comes on here humble and thinks his team isn't very good and that we should win and still gets lambasted.

I hope you are not referring to me BigRed, as that was not my intent. I just don't feel Oregon is what he is portraying.

I do, he was pretty sure they were not going to miss a beat last year after Mariotta left and they most definitely missed a beat. He was also pretty upbeat before the season, but after seeing them play he is not as opptimistic. Have you really sat down and watched Oregon play this year or the last? No one would ever take them lightly, but they are definitely down from where they have been.

Sigh...I have been here a very long time. I have read, and enjoyed CPT's posts during that time. I was simply pointing out that during this week, when the mood of the fanbase is to make this a big game where a win is a big step forward, downplaying the meaning of this win will rub Nebraska fans the wrong way.

This is a Nebraska fan site, and Nebraska fans don't want to read that. I wasn't attacking him. Hopefully he knows me well enough by now to know I don't start arguments on here often. Either way, it is the way it read to me.

• Fire 1

In the Deed;

I too saw it as Coach prepping himself (in case of a loss). Not for the reason you stated (showing up next week to HB) but mentally, we all try to lesson the pain by pre-determining and justifying.

There are many Husker fans who do the same by saying things like, 'this game don't mean as much as it is not a conference game".

I get that, as that is true or a reality, but the ultimate goal is to win them all and while most of us may have doubts that we will get through our schedule unblemished, the psych of the team will flourish with every win and especially when you are playing a high profile game, one where the masses will recognize you beat a team that has been in the thick of it for many year now.

It is a stepping stone to the next challenge.

I am as guilty as the next guy in preparing myself for the pain of a loss, but to rid ourselves of the stigma, we have to go into each game with the expectations to win, otherwise the goals mean little and we flounder while expectations diminish.

The big difference being, you aren't going to Oregon's board and lamenting about how beating us isn't a big deal....

Wow...some on here usually get all squirrely when a fan of an opposing team comes on here over confident. Coach comes on here humble and thinks his team isn't very good and that we should win and still gets lambasted.

Nevermind the fact that I'm on here more often than those who come in just during football never to be found again. Aside from Matty. That guy doesn't leave his computer I don't think :P

This doesn't even matter. Not sure why i felt compelled to say that...

Sigh...I have been here a very long time. I have read, and enjoyed CPT's posts during that time. I was simply pointing out that during this week, when the mood of the fanbase is to make this a big game where a win is a big step forward, downplaying the meaning of this win will rub Nebraska fans the wrong way.

This is a Nebraska fan site, and Nebraska fans don't want to read that. I wasn't attacking him. Hopefully he knows me well enough by now to know I don't start arguments on here often. Either way, it is the way it read to me.

I honestly don't recall any posts that stuck out to me from you. But whatever.

This shouldn't be about me. Lets keep it about the game...

Nevermind the fact that I'm on here more often than those who come in just during football never to be found again. Aside from Matty. That guy doesn't leave his computer I don't think :P

You are on here a lot. Much like me, you are not a mass poster. I would like to think we both take our time before saying things. I am not pissed at you are trying to start an argument. I just didn't know if you thought about how that was sounding to some of us, and I assumed you would want to know that BECAUSE you are here a lot and a member of "the old guard" so to speak.

This doesn't even matter. Not sure why i felt compelled to say that...

Lol. Only in the summer.

"Great coaching can go a long way, which is why Oklahoma, a program similar to Nebraska in many ways, has been outstanding in recent decades during the long tenure of Bob Stoops."

Did anyone else have a problem with this little gem from the article? While I thought the article was a good read, this stood out like a sore thumb. I see very few if any similarities between OU and NU. First of all, OU is a direct neighbor to a recruiting hotbed. Second, OU still to this day has their true rivalry game with Texass. I guess I just don't see the programs being similar in any way other than history.

When I read that, I thought why they call Stoops "Big Game Bob"... I then thought 1 MNC (2000) and 1 Berryman QPRS champion (2003) would not qualify as outstanding... Very good would be the upper limit, imo

I really wasn't referring to Stoops or any coach. I was referring to how the programs are not similar at all. Oklahoma sits right on top of one of the best recruiting hotbeds in the country. OU's one true rivalry has been maintained. While it can get cold there, it's a lot less likely than here. I don't see any of the similarities other than both having great success traditionally.

The game hasnt even been played yet and there's already downplaying of a possible win going on.

Look. Oregon is a big name right now. You think back in 1998 when Nebraska was in the midst of its worst season in 30 years, that KState gave a flying frick about that? Nebraska was still Nebraska. Iowa St in 92? Kansas in 2005? It doesnt matter. It was Nebraska.

This win would be a huge deal right now, whether Oregon goes 11-1 or 4-8. Why? Cuz right now, in this moment, Oregon is still Oregon. And it's about what the win means in the moment. And how that moment can really catapult or kickstart a program. So please. Dont downplay this. It's a big frickin deal.

• Fire 9

I really wasn't referring to Stoops or any coach. I was referring to how the programs are not similar at all. Oklahoma sits right on top of one of the best recruiting hotbeds in the country. OU's one true rivalry has been maintained. While it can get cold there, it's a lot less likely than here. I don't see any of the similarities other than both having great success traditionally.

I'd definitely agree. The main factor that differentiates us is their proximity to a recruiting hot bed, as you note.

The game hasnt even been played yet and there's already downplaying of a possible win going on.

Look. Oregon is a big name right now. You think back in 1998 when Nebraska was in the midst of its worst season in 30 years, that KState gave a flying frick about that? Nebraska was still Nebraska. Iowa St in 92? Kansas in 2005? It doesnt matter. It was Nebraska.

This win would be a huge deal right now, whether Oregon goes 11-1 or 4-8. Why? Cuz right now, in this moment, Oregon is still Oregon. And it's about what the win means in the moment. And how that moment can really catapult or kickstart a program. So please. Dont downplay this. It's a big frickin deal.

giphy.gif.

+1

slow-clap-gif-6.gif

This was my point, stated more eloquently than I ever could.