In Nebraska's last 6 games...

Saunders

So, it's not so much that I think that Nebraska is "back" but on an upswing. It's fair to say NU was on an overall downward trend since the 2010 Big 12 CCG 2001. The first half of last year was definitely rock bottom of that era, and judging by everything post-Purdue, it's reasonable to say we're on the upswing.

How far that goes depends on the staff and players, but it's safe to say things are looking up again for the first time in awhile.

Agree but had to fify the date the downward trend began.

I agree with Saunders. Most people will look at Nebraska and see a 6-7 team that hasn't done anything. Those of us who follow a little closer (and are willing to write off Purdue because, hey...) see a team that *is* on the upswing and *are* strong B1G West title contenders. The B1G West winner, of course, is likely to march off to slaughter at the hands of Ohio State.

It's not a lot, and it's hardly elite, but Nebraska's 2015 record belies the true state of things. This team has been finding its footing.

So, it's not so much that I think that Nebraska is "back" but on an upswing. It's fair to say NU was on an overall downward trend since the 2010 Big 12 CCG 2001. The first half of last year was definitely rock bottom of that era, and judging by everything post-Purdue, it's reasonable to say we're on the upswing.

How far that goes depends on the staff and players, but it's safe to say things are looking up again for the first time in awhile.

Agree but had to fify the date the downward trend began.

Well, for the overall trend, absolutely. But, it's fair to say that 2008-2010 was an upswing for the program.

• Fire 1

I don't agree that we were on a downward trend since 2010, but I won't argue that point.

I'll just say that I hope NU is on an upswing from last year and that Oregon proves to be the big win many view it as. For now, I'm at most cautiously optimistic that this will be one of Riley's 9+ win teams. They certainly have the necessary talent.

For me, it will be about string years together - not just 5 or 7 wins.

We've finished with a (mostly) consecutively lower ranking each year since 2009. I'm not really sure how you can say that's not a downward trend.

But I agree with your other points, it's not just about one season, but stringing together multiples.

So, it's not so much that I think that Nebraska is "back" but on an upswing. It's fair to say NU was on an overall downward trend since the 2010 Big 12 CCG. The first half of last year was definitely rock bottom of that era, and judging by everything post-Purdue, it's reasonable to say we're on the upswing.

Yeah I agree. It's a team that is playing well in the moment and as long as they don't look ahead, they'll keep playing some good football. Very pleased with the turnaround.

Nebraska Last 7 Games:

Offense:

• Michigan State: 39 points // 36 attempts, 179 yards, 3TD, 0 fumbles // 19/33 (57.6%), 320 yards, 2TD, 2 INT
  • Rutgers: 31 points // 38 attempts, 174 yards, 1TD, 0 fumbles // 14/21 (67%), 188 yards, 3TD, 3 INT
  • Iowa: 20 points // 38 attempts, 137 yards, 2TD, 0 fumbles // 25/45 (55.6%), 296 yards, 0TD, 4 INT
  • UCLA: 37 points // 62 attempts, 326 yards, 4TD, 1 fumble // 12/19 (63.2%), 174 yards, 1TD, 0 INT
  • Fresno State: 43 points // 51 attempts, 292 yards, 5TD, 0 fumbles // 6/13 (46.2%), 114 yards, 1TD, 0 INT
  • Wyoming: 52 points // 43 attempts, 138 yards, 2TD, 0 fumbles // 21/35 (60%), 412 yards, 4TD, 1 INT
  • Oregon: 35 points // 47 attempts, 228 yards, 2TD, 1 fumble // 17/35 (48.6%), 200 yards, 3TD, 0 INT

Defense:

• Michigan State: 38 points // 34 attempts, 143 yards, 3TD, 0 fumbles // 24/39 (61.5%), 348 yards, 4TD, 1 INT
  • Rutgers: 14 points // 39 attempts, 89 yards, 1TD, 0 fumbles // 14/28 (50%), 170 yards, 1TD, 2 INT
  • Iowa: 28 points // 28 attempts, 153 yards, 2TD, 1 fumbles // 9/16 (56.2%), 97 yards, 1TD, 0 INT
  • UCLA: 29 points // 16 attempts, 67 yards, 1TD, 0 fumbles // 26/41 (63.4%), 319 yards, 3TD, 2 INT
  • Fresno State: 10 points // 26 attempts, 31 yards, 0TD, 0 fumbles // 24/43 (55.8%), 243 yards, 1TD, 2 INT
  • Wyoming: 17 points // 31 attempts, 131 yards, 1TD, 1 fumble // 16/32 (50%), 189 yards, 1TD, 5 INT
  • Oregon: 32 points // 47 attempts, 336 yards, 5TD, 0 fumbles // 14/23 (60.9%), 146 yards, 0TD, 0 INT
  • Fire 1

I'm really excited by how this team has evolved.

I just this team on the improvements we see week-to-week and this team has really done well. TA is making better choices, he's throwing better, the coaches are calling better plays, and the Blackshirts are tackling better.

I'm excited and I can't wait to see more.

Echo above. I see some real positive things, but it still has to be proved on the field. One feel good game is not sufficient to judge things, but it is encouraging. The next steps to take IMO are not getting down early and having to come back (in game consistency) and throttling the teams you are clearly better than from the start.

Getting down by two scores to good teams is not, ultimately, a recipe for success. The fact that the Huskers have been able to rally is good, but eventually it will bite them. I am really looking forward to see what happens this week. I expect a much better NW team than was seen the first two weeks.

Probably the stretch from 2009 to 2010 when NU went 15-2, with dominating wins over a 7th ranked team and a top 25 team, two other wins over top 25 teams and a close loss to a 3rd ranked team.

I think the UCLA and Oregon wins sound good based on name prestige, but neither of those teams were very good when we played them (sort of like Miami in 2014).

Personally, I don't think the term "turning a program" in a corner is very meaningful. Things change too much from year to year to have a statement implying that "we've arrived" make any sense. I thought the same thing back in 2009 when Bo made the declaration after the Arizona win.

Thanks, Bo.

Rare thing to witness here - I agree with cm.

We're on a good upswing, but we've got a long ways to go. The only part of this impressive by historical Nebraska standards was the MSU win, everything else is what we should be doing. Oregon still has sexy name recognition, but there's a good chance they don't finish ranked. UCLA was a lot like us vs Washington - they didn't want it nearly as much as we did and saw it as beneath them, to their detriment. Wins over Fresno and Wyoming are what they are, and the loss to Iowa...wait, I'm confused. Was Iowa a top 5 team or not? We can't credit them as that when it makes it sound good to us, and then talk about how they weren't that good when it makes them sound bad. One or the other, please.

I'm excited and pleased and happy about where we're at. But it's entirely too premature to have any kind of discussion about being 'back' or having turned a corner.

One of the dumbest things fans do (not talking Nebraska fans but in general) is when their team beats a decent team they talk about how overrated the team they beat was.

Way to downplay the victory you just had.

Probably the stretch from 2009 to 2010 when NU went 15-2, with dominating wins over a 7th ranked team and a top 25 team, two other wins over top 25 teams and a close loss to a 3rd ranked team.

I think the UCLA and Oregon wins sound good based on name prestige, but neither of those teams were very good when we played them (sort of like Miami in 2014).

Personally, I don't think the term "turning a program" in a corner is very meaningful. Things change too much from year to year to have a statement implying that "we've arrived" make any sense. I thought the same thing back in 2009 when Bo made the declaration after the Arizona win.

Thanks, Bo.

We're on a good upswing, but we've got a long ways to go. The only part of this impressive by historical Nebraska standards was the MSU win, everything else is what we should be doing. Oregon still has sexy name recognition, but there's a good chance they don't finish ranked. UCLA was a lot like us vs Washington - they didn't want it nearly as much as we did and saw it as beneath them, to their detriment. Wins over Fresno and Wyoming are what they are, and the loss to Iowa...wait, I'm confused. Was Iowa a top 5 team or not? We can't credit them as that when it makes it sound good to us, and then talk about how they weren't that good when it makes them sound bad. One or the other, please.

I'm excited and pleased and happy about where we're at. But it's entirely too premature to have any kind of discussion about being 'back' or having turned a corner.

It definitely doesn't establish we've reached the promise land, but it does show we're headed in the right direction; we beat a ranked non conference opponent. Neither of the last two coaches did that, ever. Think about that for a minute.

If that's not evidence that we're closer to where we want to go, then I'm not sure what is...

• Fire 3

Thanks, Bo.

It definitely doesn't establish we've reached the promise land, but it does show we're headed in the right direction; we beat a ranked non conference opponent. Neither of the last two coaches did that, ever. Think about that for a minute.

If that's not evidence that we're closer to where we want to go, then I'm not sure what is...

Wow. Letting that stat sink in is both exciting and depressing.

• Fire 1

Thanks, Bo.

Wow. Letting that stat sink in is both exciting and depressing.

For sure.

Thanks, Bo.

One of the dumbest things fans do (not talking Nebraska fans but in general) is when their team beats a decent team they talk about how overrated the team they beat was.

Way to downplay the victory you just had.

I didn't say they were overrated. I didn't even say that they were bad. But if you've watched Oregon this year, they aren't really good either. They have problems- among them being massive coaching staff turnover. This was still an important and good win.

Thanks, Bo.

You're not counting bowls?

Each of the last two coaches faced only 2 ranked teams in the non-conference. So not a lot to derive from a stat like that, imo.