Turning Point in Nebraska Football?

ScottyIce

Turning point =

1. Go at least 9-3
  2. Win the West
  3. Make it a close B10 Title game or even win it

That would be a hell of a comeback year for Riley after the garbage 15' season.

Honestly, as it sits right now, 9-3 would be a disappointment. It means either losing all 3 to Wisconsin, OSU, Iowa, or losing to one of the scrub teams remaining on our schedule.

Actually true.

Turning point =

1. Go at least 9-3
  2. Win the West

Honestly, as it sits right now, 9-3 would be a disappointment. It means either losing all 3 to Wisconsin, OSU, Iowa, or losing to one of the scrub teams remaining on our schedule.

Actually true.

Not to mention we've had at least 3-4 seasons comparable to this in the last 7 years.

The turning point is...a circle back to where we've already been and still weren't happy?

• Fire 1

Turning point =

1. Go at least 9-3
  2. Win the West

Actually true.

Not to mention we've had at least 3-4 seasons comparable to this in the last 7 years.

The turning point is...a circle back to where we've already been and still weren't happy?

However, if we would then win our bowl game, our record at 10-3 would be an improvement over the last 9 years.

Turning point =

1. Go at least 9-3
  2. Win the West

Actually true.

However, if we would then win our bowl game, our record at 10-3 would be an improvement over the last 9 years.

Or we lose, and hello 9-4.

Team needs to finish at least 10-2.

Turning point =

1. Go at least 9-3
  2. Win the West

Actually true.

Or we lose, and hello 9-4.

Team needs to finish at least 10-2.

Let me play devil's advocate here: Three weeks ago so many people were saying 8-4 was a step up.

"Need to finish 10-2" is a mighty high standard off of a 6-7 season with a pity bowl. Oregon was a fun game and good win. I'm hoping right there with you guys, and when you look at the schedule on paper we could go into the CCG with one loss. We aren't there yet. I'm worried we drop two of the next four and we are in meltdown mode again. It is so hard to trust this team after the last 10 years.

ftr, I do not think 9-3 would be a disappointment 'as it sits' right now.

Frankly, we don't know how it sits right now. We don't know how good that Oregon team is. We don't know how good we are. It's only week 3. This team is obviously better than last year's team, and is so far undefeated, and that's good enough for right now. There's really no need to try and assess the end of the season before it's happened.

If this season ends up being as awesome as we all want it to be, last year's Purdue/Mich st will be the turning point. One week we looked worse than we have in decades, and the next week we looked better than we have in quite a few years.

As far as "being back" that would take at least a close loss in a conference championship game.

• Fire 1

It's always amazing to me how fan perceptions can change in the blink of an eye with no thought towards what we thought a day ago, a week ago, a month ago, a year ago.

Imagine someone starting a poll last December asking how people would feel about an 8-4 or 9-3 season in 2016. I'd guess it'd be quite a bit majority in approval of. Now we beat an unranked Oregon team close and people are gonna get pissed and grouchy when we don't go 10-2.

• Fire 2

I touched on this in another thread. As Nebraska fans, we have high expectations. From 1960?-2001, we had the expectation to win every CCG and had a pretty good success rate. 15 years of extremely sub-par performances have not changed this expectation. We have a point in our history where we were among the greats and by contention the greatest.

Arguing turning points is stupid. It's like arguing turning points in a game, but on a much more massive scale. Everyone is going to have a different opinion. Besides all that, it's completely based on hindsight. And worse, it's taking hindsight and setting a vision for the future.

You can focus on the micro, or you can focus on the macro. I'd rather focus on the micro. Let's just keep winning games. Because in the simplest form, winning games makes me happy.

• Fire 1

I touched on this in another thread. As Nebraska fans, we have high expectations. From 1960?-2001, we had the expectation to win every CCG and had a pretty good success rate. 15 years of extremely sub-par performances have not changed this expectation. We have a point in our history where we were among the greats and by contention the greatest.

Arguing turning points is stupid. It's like arguing turning points in a game, but on a much more massive scale. Everyone is going to have a different opinion. Besides all that, it's completely based on hindsight. And worse, it's taking hindsight and setting a vision for the future.

You can focus on the micro, or you can focus on the macro. I'd rather focus on the micro. Let's just keep winning games. Because in the simplest form, winning games makes me happy.

As fans, if we didn't do these things this place would be pretty boring and I don't much care for boring. :)