So, what do you need to see this weekend vs NW...just a win?

teachercd

If we have the game in hand, and backups get to play. Does anyone want to see POB? It was not a good feeling when TA went down against Oregon. I would like to see the next starting QB get some experience. But who is the next tarting QB?

Tanner Lee is starting in 2017. Don't get your hopes up with POB.

That is the problem. If POB is not the starter next year, we are unable to get next year's starter any playing time this year. IMO, this is a bad situation. It is also a bad situation for this year, because RF is our only option if TA goes down. And if TA and RF go down then what Bush or pull a red shirt?

First conference game on the road vs. a team that beat us last year and a team I still don't think is complete garbage despite terrible start. So, I just need the win. I do think we will do better, but that's just gravy for me.

I will expect more than "just win" vs. Illinois and Purdue.

Bingo. Plus Nebraska coming off one of the biggest wins in recent years. Just need to stay focus and come away with a W.

I think the other thread has been pretty interesting when it comes to the game this weekend.

Last weekend I think most of us would have been and are happy that it was "just a win" no matter the score or how it happened.

Are you happy with just a win this weekend? 14-13, 21-20, 28-27...will you be okay with that?

Or will that make you feel like a corner has not been turned?

Things I would like to see:

1. Never being down on the scored board this Saturday

2. Up by 10 or more at half

3. Game salted away with 10 minutes left.

Something with a final score of 35-14 would be a really good indicator, I think, of things to come.

I don't really care if it's a close win, provided it's close because both teams played well or there were some bad breaks for Nebraska.

If it's close because we tried to work certain passing packages into the game plan for the sake of passing and not for the sake of winning, that would be frustrating to me.

My biggest concern with this staff last year was that they failed to "manufacture" wins against teams that were of equal or lesser talent. Too many games were closer (and eventually ended up as losses) than they should have been simply because we seemed more worried about a play calling profile than about hammering out an "ugly" win.

Obviously even a close loss to this NW team would be an awful step back and more evidence that Riley coached teams simply aren't consistent from game to game or season to season - which would be something we'd have to evaluate to determine if that's ultimately acceptable or a change would need to be made sooner than later.

CM, I understand that you think NU needs to focus on being a running team. I actually think that NU needs to attack Northwestern threw the air early, which will open up the running lanes later in the game. Northwestern really sells out to stop the run, especially with its LB's. NU should use play action passes and RPO's to hit Carter and the slot receivers behind the LB's. If NU is successful doing this, this will loosen up the LB's and then NU can turn to the run game.

I agree. Northwestern has three of their top four CBs and a starting safety out for the game. That is where we hurt them early and often.

If we have the game in hand, and backups get to play. Does anyone want to see POB? It was not a good feeling when TA went down against Oregon. I would like to see the next starting QB get some experience. But who is the next tarting QB?

That is the problem. If POB is not the starter next year, we are unable to get next year's starter any playing time this year. IMO, this is a bad situation. It is also a bad situation for this year, because RF is our only option if TA goes down. And if TA and RF go down then what Bush or pull a red shirt?

If TA and RF go down then the only option is POB and Darlington would likely move back to QB to back him up. Bush is no longer with the program.

Tanner Lee will be the starting QB in 2017, and he has experience starting and playing college football. He obviously can't play this year, as he is sitting out on a transfer year.

POB will redshirt, unless Armstrong and Fyfe both go down. If Armstrong gets an injury where he is out for the season, it could be possible that POB gets moved to the starter. However, I think the coaches still prefer Fyfe at this point.

I just want a win and move on to Illinois.

Never fails but NW always plays us tough whether they're good or not.....they're our ISU of the B1G

Egg-zactly. You guys realize the spread is only about 7 points right?

Right, but all we care about is the win, which is represented not by the spread but the moneyline, which is -285, representing a 75% likelihood of a Nebraska victory. Now perhaps the moneyline is wrong, but that's just where the market has set it.

I just want a win and move on to Illinois.

Never fails but NW always plays us tough whether they're good or not.....they're our ISU of the B1G

Egg-zactly. You guys realize the spread is only about 7 points right?

Right, but all we care about is the win, which is represented not by the spread but the moneyline, which is -285, representing a 75% likelihood of a Nebraska victory. Now perhaps the moneyline is wrong, but that's just where the market has set it.

I would be happy with a win too but I'm seeing people wanting back-ups in the game and expecting huge margins of victory, I just don't see it.