If Tyrone and Dwayne have a high school diploma and no prison record and a good work record, send them to Columbus. They can get themselves a full time job with benefits this week at one of the factories.

That's great. But they're still less likely to get that full time job than a person with a white-sounding name with the exact same qualifications. That has been proven conclusively in research studies.

Do you get pulled over a lot less often because you're not Black? Is it easier for you to get a job because your name isn't Dwayne or Tyrone? Both of these things have been studied and the answer is yes for both. I could probably list 50 more things. People who think it doesn't exist are willfully obtuse

Studies also show that police give, on average, more time before they start shooting at a black man than they do a white man. That's a big plus in my book. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/07/13/why-a-massive-new-study-on-police-shootings-of-whites-and-blacks-is-so-controversial/

If Tyrone and Dwayne have a high school diploma and no prison record and a good work record, send them to Columbus. They can get themselves a full time job with benefits this week at one of the factories.

But go ahead, list the 50 more things...literally list them.

Did you even read the article you linked? It's about Houston only, a deeply flawed study that likely doesn't answer the questions it asks:

Fryer has not overcome one of the fundamental challenges of studying bias in police shootings: To detect if police fire on suspects in racially prejudiced ways, researchers must examine comparable situations involving white and black suspects. Compared with previous research, Fryer's study collects much more detail on individual shootings, but some say it is not enough to ensure his comparisons are fair.

There seems to be this rush to discredit the fact that Blacks have a different experience in this nation than Whites. Such a rush that facts are glossed over, overlooked entirely or simply ignored solely to prove a point. Here's more information, from the article you linked:

How civilians behaved could not completely account for the large disparity. Where officers found contraband while frisking someone, they were 11 percent more likely to use force if the civilian was black than if they were white. Even in cases where the officer described the civilian as perfectly compliant with questioning and instructions, officers were 21 percent more likely to use force against black civilians than against white civilians.

Second, Fryer looked at a federal survey of civilians nationwide about their contacts with law enforcement. That data suggested that black and Hispanic people were about three times more likely than white people to be treated with force by an officer.

• Fire 1

The national anthem is not just for veterans or those who have fought for the US. Its for everyone, and stands for our nation's incredible freedoms - for every Individual. People can acknowledge it however they want. Some people sing, some do not. Those bastards are unpatriotic! Some people put their hands over their heart - some do not - how scandalous! I agree w/the above comment. You people making a big deal out if it are the ones w/the issue.

What that guy said ^

Furthermore, it's putting more pressure on finding a solution to the violence; which I'm pretty sure is universally desirable.

Well....pressure to find a solution to SOME violence.....a very, very, very minute portion of the violence that occurs.....African American kids have been killing African American kids for decades.....no one ever gave a hoot about that violence. Now, these kids surely have the right to act the fool....I served to give them that right.....but they are misguided, bandwagoning, trend-following sheep, and disingenuous in my opinion

Yeah. I didn't say all violence. I kinda assumed that I was safe saying "the violence", considering we all know what violence they're protesting. You obviously do, but yet you feel the need to make a point of steering conversation away from the specific issue they're protesting.

I only feel like those joining in now are not much different from people wearing the newest clothing fashions, or needing to have the named earbuds or headphones. They are being followers. It wasn't their idea. Not that it is a bad idea, but they are truly bandwagoning.

I was young and in college once. I was pro-marijuana. But I didn't gather at a corner and hold up NORML banners, or smoke a joint at a certain time of day. I researched and prepared a 15 page essay and set up an appointment with my state Senator to discuss the issue. I dressed in a suit, got high as a kite, dropped some visine and cologne to hide the obvious, and had a very open and thorough discussion with the senator. He thanked me for my time and highly complimented my point of view and presentation. I told him I was totally high, both during the research and this discussion. Then I pulled out a joint and asked if he'd like to try. After he reminded me he could call a state patrol man from the hall and have me arrested, he laughed, reiterated I'd made some very good points, and suggested I be on my way, and to be careful.

What I"m saying is, they have a good deal of spotlight. I'd like them to be more motivated to their cause and do something other than following someone else's lead in an act that does very little to address the issue. The only thing their actions accomplish is to get people bitching one way or another. It doesn't help the issue at all. Sure it draws "attention" to the issue...but that attention if focused on them, and not the issue. Props because they are doing something I guess, but it is just a gesture, not an action.

This is a pretty common criticism of #BLM - that they aren't accomplishing anything. Problem is it's not true. They've met with Hillary Clinton, Bernie Sanders, and others, and have gotten attention paid towards more progressive platforms as far as dealing with racial injustice. They forced Tim Wolfe, the Mizzou President, to resign (he's a scumbag). They got Cal to pull out of $30 million in prison investments. They've launched the Police Union Contract Project. Their protests led to damning DOJ investigations into the Ferguson and Baltimore police departments, both found to be perpetuating awful unhealthy and discriminatory cultures. They've improved the percentages of Americans, and particularly White Americans, who believe/acknowledge that racial inequality actually exists (46% a year ago to 60% now ----- 39% of whites to 53% now). The list goes on and on and it isn't just exclusively targeted against police.

I actually count this as little or nothing. Here's what I count as progress:

Decrease the murder rate

Decrease the crime rate

Decrease unwed pregnancies

Decrease drug crimes

Decrease drug addiction

Decrease alcohol addiction

Increase graduation rates

Increase literacy ( it's telling on the educational system that this one isn't automatic with the previous point)

Increase participation in the work force (it's telling that this doesn't automatically go up when unemployment goes down)

Increase the number of intact nuclear families.

Decrease gang memberships and gang activities

Decrease looting, rioting, and crime during protests.

Come back to me when something concrete is done besides talking. Because when all is said and done, more is always said than done.

• Fire 2

I only feel like those joining in now are not much different from people wearing the newest clothing fashions, or needing to have the named earbuds or headphones. They are being followers. It wasn't their idea. Not that it is a bad idea, but they are truly bandwagoning.

I was young and in college once. I was pro-marijuana. But I didn't gather at a corner and hold up NORML banners, or smoke a joint at a certain time of day. I researched and prepared a 15 page essay and set up an appointment with my state Senator to discuss the issue. I dressed in a suit, got high as a kite, dropped some visine and cologne to hide the obvious, and had a very open and thorough discussion with the senator. He thanked me for my time and highly complimented my point of view and presentation. I told him I was totally high, both during the research and this discussion. Then I pulled out a joint and asked if he'd like to try. After he reminded me he could call a state patrol man from the hall and have me arrested, he laughed, reiterated I'd made some very good points, and suggested I be on my way, and to be careful.

What I"m saying is, they have a good deal of spotlight. I'd like them to be more motivated to their cause and do something other than following someone else's lead in an act that does very little to address the issue. The only thing their actions accomplish is to get people bitching one way or another. It doesn't help the issue at all. Sure it draws "attention" to the issue...but that attention if focused on them, and not the issue. Props because they are doing something I guess, but it is just a gesture, not an action.

Can you prove that you did this? Were there any cameras in your meeting with the senator? Did anyone take official notes of the meeting?

You obviously know that these people aren't doing anything to address the issues and are just bandwagoning. You either know that for sure because you know the intimate private parts of all of their individual lives, or you're just assuming it because you haven't seen public record of them doing anything else. Well, I haven't seen public record of your meeting with the senator about weed, so as far as I'm concerned it didn't happen. As far as I'm concerned you were just a young college kid that was pro-weed but was just bitching about it with your actions and not doing anything to address it.

This is a pretty common criticism of #BLM - that they aren't accomplishing anything. Problem is it's not true. They've met with Hillary Clinton, Bernie Sanders, and others, and have gotten attention paid towards more progressive platforms as far as dealing with racial injustice. They forced Tim Wolfe, the Mizzou President, to resign (he's a scumbag). They got Cal to pull out of $30 million in prison investments. They've launched the Police Union Contract Project. Their protests led to damning DOJ investigations into the Ferguson and Baltimore police departments, both found to be perpetuating awful unhealthy and discriminatory cultures. They've improved the percentages of Americans, and particularly White Americans, who believe/acknowledge that racial inequality actually exists (46% a year ago to 60% now ----- 39% of whites to 53% now). The list goes on and on and it isn't just exclusively targeted against police.

Decrease the murder rate

Decrease the crime rate

Decrease drug crimes

Decrease drug addiction

Increase literacy ( it's telling on the educational system that this one isn't automatic with the previous point)

Increase participation in the work force (it's telling that this doesn't automatically go up when unemployment goes down)

Come back to me when something concrete is done besides talking. Because when all is said and done, more is always said than done.

These are all great goals.

What are you doing to bring any of them about?

• Fire 2

Decrease the murder rate

Decrease the crime rate

Decrease drug crimes

Decrease drug addiction

In the meantime, what have you done to demonstrably help make our country a better place? Since you obviously have moral authority to claim that others haven't done anything.

"Because when all is said and done, more is always said than done" - ironic statement to use while talking on a messageboard.

Do you get pulled over a lot less often because you're not Black? Is it easier for you to get a job because your name isn't Dwayne or Tyrone? Both of these things have been studied and the answer is yes for both. I could probably list 50 more things. People who think it doesn't exist are willfully obtuse

Studies also show that police give, on average, more time before they start shooting at a black man than they do a white man. That's a big plus in my book. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/07/13/why-a-massive-new-study-on-police-shootings-of-whites-and-blacks-is-so-controversial/

But go ahead, list the 50 more things...literally list them.

Hopefully you can open the link, but here's your list.

https://www.deanza.edu/faculty/lewisjulie/White%20Priviledge%20Unpacking%20the%20Invisible%20Knapsack.pdf

• Fire 1

Can you prove that you did this? Were there any cameras in your meeting with the senator? Did anyone take official notes of the meeting?

You obviously know that these people aren't doing anything to address the issues and are just bandwagoning. You either know that for sure because you know the intimate private parts of all of their individual lives, or you're just assuming it because you haven't seen public record of them doing anything else. Well, I haven't seen public record of your meeting with the senator about weed, so as far as I'm concerned it didn't happen. As far as I'm concerned you were just a young college kid that was pro-weed but was just bitching about it with your actions and not doing anything to address it.

I was just coming back on to say I had realized I do not know if they are doing anything off the field. Poor, jump to conclusions, thinking on my part. As for my actions, I do not care one bit if you believe me. I know it happened, and so does DL, spring of 1978.

Local radio host Jack Mitchell's Facebook:

SZHR29n.png

https://www.facebook.com/jack.mitchell1?hc_ref=NEWSFEED&fref=nf

Nebraska Fan is losing their mind.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

First Amendment to the Constitution. A government institution (UNL) cannot stop these players from protesting. Anyone suggesting they could/should needs to read their Constitution.

• Fire 3

And can we stop pretending that police and patriots and the military somehow have a monopoly on the American flag and all it stands for?

That's actually dangerous, especially in this election season.

Because there are people who use that backlash to inhibit freedom rather than protect it.

If the American flag actually stands for freedom and justice for all, then the protest is about as patriotic as you can get.

If it's just a symbol that demands allegiance, we're in trouble.

Again, I recently spent time with my old crew from Lincoln. White middle class guys all, successful doctors, salesmen, real estate developers, a decorated Marine and more than a few Trump supporters. We got reminiscing about all the fun times we used to have. And while we remembered our most epic adventures as hijinks, they frequently involved trespassing, vandalism, pointless theft, reckless speeding, drugs and alcohol and slurred confrontations with policemen.

We have lived long enough to look back and laugh.

Had we been black, we would have been dead or in jail years ago.

That's a profound difference in how you view the bounty and opportunity of this county.

And it should make people uncomfortable.

It's a conversation we need to have. Let's not pretend there's a better time or place to have it when we secretly don't want to have it at all.

• Fire 7

If the American flag actually stands for freedom and justice for all, then the protest is about as patriotic as you can get.

If it's just a symbol that demands allegiance, we're in trouble.

...it should make people uncomfortable.

It's a conversation we need to have. Let's not pretend there's a better time or place to have it when we secretly don't want to have it at all.

So well said, Guy.

Listen, I am okay (EDIT: actually I should say I fully support it) with the kneeling. It is their right to protest in a civil manner however they see fit. I also wonder what that is going to accomplish? This would be to raise awareness, but the issue is front and center at this point.

There is a big problem in this country, and it really does not have to do with race. Racism at this point, is a terribly unfortunate side effect of economic policies in this country. It stems from the unbelievable disparity of wealth that has allowed the top 1% of wage earners to control 90% of the wealth in America. The cycle of poverty is the root of this. African Americans have long suffered from the oppression of the early 20th century. Legal racism (segregation) made sure they lost out on the prosperity of the Industrial Revolution and the great jobs that came out of that which allowed many Americans to climb out of poverty. Post-dust bowl America became prosperous because of the military-industrial complex that spurred manufacturing and then economy as a whole. Again, African Americans (actually all minorities) were excluded until the late 1960s. When generations of people are raised in a level of extreme poverty, eventually crime allows them to make ends meet. Thus, poverty brings crime and therefore more contact with police officers. Thereby making it more likely for "racism" to be engrained in the officers who are working these areas. I put racism in quotes because even though it seems to be mostly African Americans and is therefore racism, it wouldn't have mattered the color of skin of the people put in this position. In fact, all of this is about a different color entirely...

Green.

And in today's world with the rising of technology, the better jobs now require higher levels of education. And look at the intercity schools compared to the suburban schools. And how many African Americans in those neighborhoods can afford to send their kids to college, considering they barely make enough to stay alive