Nebraska's Michael Rose-Ivey receives racial backlash for anthem protest

Everyone knows that that the first amendment, just like the second amendment, only protects you from infringment by the govt, right? Just as businesses can enforce gun free zones; the San Francisco 49ers could cut CK, I could be fired from my job for burning the flag, even if it is on my own time, and Mike Riley could have suspended the thee players involved in the National Anthem protests. (The last example may be a little tenuous since UNL is a public university).

To be clear, I don't think those things should happen, I'm just saying that I don't think the the constitution prevents them from happening.

Can they fire you if you are not violating any team or employee rules? The protest does not effect how these players do their job so what would be the reason for being cut? You can't just get get rid of someone because you disagree with them. It has to effect their job performance or violate a team rule.

Even if they could release a player, by doing so shows that you don't support their beliefs. Good luck recruiting other black players if Riley or the university disciplined these players. How do you think the other black players in the league would react if the NFL disciplined CK? Black players are the majority in the NFL and it would be a horrible idea if they decide not to support their players. But yes, those amendments protect you from legal persecution, but you could still lose your job.

To answer your first four questions/statements. 1)Yes. 2) Don't need a reason to be cut. 3) Yes you can. 4) No it doesn't.

Once again, these answers are in regards to first amendment protection. If someone is has an employment contract, or is part of a collective bargaining agreement, they have more protections. But if you are not part of a protected class as set forth in the civil rights act of 1964, or subsequent revisions, you don't really have as much employment protection as you think.

In response to your second paragraph; I agree with everything you said. I only posted my first comment because it seems like some people posting think that the first amendment protects a person from all consequences from one's speech/actions...it doesn't.

Would it be okay for a player to burn a flag right before kickoff?

Yes, it would. Provided the player followed the law and got the permits from the city of Lincoln and the school and whoever else might be required to issue a permit. In fact, it would be admirable. That flag is an ever-changing piece of CLOTH that holds no meaning except what people attach to it. I am a native american, a member of an Indian Tribe, the Rosebud Sioux of South Dakota. That flag is a symbol of repression and conquest, of ill deeds and immoral behavior, murder of children and elders. That flag represents the unwelcome conquest of nations and tribes from the East Coast to Hawaii.

You stand there in your 'sacred ground' of worship for the US Government and tell me I am wrong. My people live on a reservation in South Dakota and are faced with 90% alcoholism, universal poverty, an unemployment rate of 80% and an average life span of 48. You tell me, you stupid son of a bitch. Is that flag sacred? It killed millions, and the survivors of that massacre in the 1800s and 1900s are still among you. How sacred is that damn piece of cloth? Go to Whiteclay Nebraska and plead your sorry-ass case to a bunch of drunk Indians who hate you.

I fought for that damn flag. And I tell you. it is worth the white blood spilled in its name. But it takes no consideration for MY people or the other races that died to preserve the rights you have. We are many and we are invisible. Our contribution has been, will be forgotten.

The nazis would most likely have exterminated the remaining native population had the white devil not turned Omaha beach red with their blood to protect said native Americans.

Also, and maybe this is just my crazy coming out, but if I'm an alcoholic, blaming someone else for my excessive consumption of alcohol doesn't help much...

What-Excuse-me-Say-what-GIF.gif

The reason the anthem protest is unacceptable is because it turns a traditionally cross-racial, crosa-political activity into an exercise in "white guilt"

Nice try, attempting to make the anthem=white guilt!

For all of you who are genuinely interested, there is a guy you should look into, his name is Shelby Steele, he has been discussing and publishing academic work for over a decade on this very issue.

God forbid anyone does something that makes white people uncomfortable.

I leave my sociopolitical convictions at home in respect of the tradition.

Maybe it's time to start wielding them, I see others certainly do.

Feel free to post them here. I am very curious as to what sociopolitical stances that you have.

My stance on this specific subject is that the anthem and sports should remain apolitical, for no other reason than that has been the tradition.

What do you think?

Everyone knows that that the first amendment, just like the second amendment, only protects you from infringment by the govt, right? Just as businesses can enforce gun free zones; the San Francisco 49ers could cut CK, I could be fired from my job for burning the flag, even if it is on my own time, and Mike Riley could have suspended the thee players involved in the National Anthem protests. (The last example may be a little tenuous since UNL is a public university).

To be clear, I don't think those things should happen, I'm just saying that I don't think the the constitution prevents them from happening.

Can they fire you if you are not violating any team or employee rules? The protest does not effect how these players do their job so what would be the reason for being cut? You can't just get get rid of someone because you disagree with them. It has to effect their job performance or violate a team rule.

Even if they could release a player, by doing so shows that you don't support their beliefs. Good luck recruiting other black players if Riley or the university disciplined these players. How do you think the other black players in the league would react if the NFL disciplined CK? Black players are the majority in the NFL and it would be a horrible idea if they decide not to support their players. But yes, those amendments protect you from legal persecution, but you could still lose your job.

To answer your first four questions/statements. 1)Yes. 2) Don't need a reason to be cut. 3) Yes you can. 4) No it doesn't.

Once again, these answers are in regards to first amendment protection. If someone is has an employment contract, or is part of a collective bargaining agreement, they have more protections. But if you are not part of a protected class as set forth in the civil rights act of 1964, or subsequent revisions, you don't really have as much employment protection as you think.

In response to your second paragraph; I agree with everything you said. I only posted my first comment because it seems like some people posting think that the first amendment protects a person from all consequences from one's speech/actions...it doesn't.

I didn't mean this as a direct response to you as much as what I keep hearing other people argue. I know you were just bringing up the point that your constitutional rights don't necessarily save you from losing your job. I agree with what you are saying I am just bringing up the counterpoint to those arguments.

I think a big objective of their protest is to just get people to start talking about it and bring awareness too it. This very discussion is already a big step. Not everyone is going to agree, but it is in our minds now. MRI gets a face to face meeting with the governor and a chance to share his story with one of the most important people in the state. Nebraska is not a very diverse state and not many people get to hear the black perspective. You don't have to agree, but at least you are hearing their side. I think this protest has already achieved quite a bit.

• Fire 1

I'm a little late to the discussion on Flood's rant, but I find Herbie's and Jeremy's responses to it very comical.

I can't see post counts on my phone, but I'm pretty sure Flood has been a frequent contributor to this board for quite some time, yet he is treated as a new member when we know he is Indian. Also, what was surprising about him being a Husker fan? I'm guessing this is the first time anyone has asked him that.

As close as we are to the reservations and social issues with Indians, why are we so ignorant of Indian history, and the causes of those issues? It is much easier and simpler to blame people in poverty for their "choices"

What are the causes of the issues on reservations and in the Native American community? What are the solutions to these issues? How am I causing anyone in the Native American community to be an alcoholic? (Though, I can see how my constant prattling might drive some here to the bottle.)

I was born into absolute poverty, but I'm doing okay now with my wife and kids. Any poor decisions I've made are my fault and mine alone. Is this really a crazy or ignorant philosophy to have?

I think a big objective of their protest is to just get people to start talking about it and bring awareness too it. This very discussion is already a big step. Not everyone is going to agree, but it is in our minds now. MRI gets a face to face meeting with the governor and a chance to share his story with one of the most important people in the state. Nebraska is not a very diverse state and not many people get to hear the black perspective. You don't have to agree, but at least you are hearing their side. I think this protest has already achieved quite a bit.

I think we've talked more about whether or not standing for the national anthem is good or bad

Start talking about and bring awareness to what? That, like Kaepernick said, the flag represents a country that oppresses black people and people of color? Oppresses. Really?

Show me an American policy that puts Americans of any kind at a disadvantage, especially considering we've had a BLACK president for 8 years.

I think we've talked more about whether or not standing for the national anthem is good or bad

There has been a lot of that, but there has also been talk of the actual issues. Some people only come to this thread because of the standing/kneeling debate, but they have to read through the other posts as well.

Whiteclay sells alcohol to the members of the Sioux that is just inside Nebraska lines across from the res. White owners will not shut down operation or quit selling to the natives. Tribe leaders have tried to convince lawmakers to get the store owners to not sell beer or liquor but go up against the white man law. Their are other issues I think the Sioux Nation can tell better than I can.

I really didn't get the "How did you find HuskerBoard" comment. Native Americans can't use the internet? I'm certain that's not what that meant, but it kinda sounded like it.

Regarding "White Guilt." That's a copout. I understand that it's easier for some people to whitewash the argument to this degree so they can more easily refute it and dismiss it, but that's not what MRI wants White people to feel.

I'm White. I don't feel guilty about anything because I don't persecute minorities. I don't feel that MRI is talking to me, specifically, when he says that "Husker Fans" have called for his ouster, or violence against him, or called him racial epithets. Whites don't represent me, and I don't represent Whites.

Maybe if you feel White Guilt... maybe you have a reason to feel that.

I was just surprised that through all that rage and anger for this country he could focus his attention anywhere else.

Also worth noting--Flood's rant is completely filled with racist comments. I have not said a single racist thing because it turns out I am not racist.

This is the unspoken rule it seems:

A non-white person says something racist and we're supposed to be sympathetic to that person.

A white person says something racist and he/she is just a racist and should be branded the devil.

Whiteclay sells alcohol to the members of the Sioux that is just inside Nebraska lines across from the res. White owners will not shut down operation or quit selling to the natives. Tribe leaders have tried to convince lawmakers to get the store owners to not sell beer or liquor but go up against the white man law. Their are other issues I think the Sioux Nation can tell better than I can.

Do they hold them at gun point and tell them to drink it?

• Fire 1

Doing this, of course, would violate the civil rights act; one cannot refuse service based on race or ethnicity.

Start talking about and bring awareness to what? That, like Kaepernick said, the flag represents a country that oppresses black people and people of color? Oppresses. Really?

Show me an American policy that puts Americans of any kind at a disadvantage, especially considering we've had a BLACK president for 8 years.

Oppression goes beyond policies. There is still a large portion of this country that is racist. I've witnessed it during my 4 years in Nebraska and the rest of my life in St. Louis. This isn't the KKK kind of racism where people go out looking for a black person to lynch. Instead, they don't want to live in neighborhoods that are predominantly black or are even too close to black neighborhoods. They don't want to send their kids to schools that are too "dark". They would rather rent/sell their house to a white family than a black one or existing neighbors put pressure on you to do sell to whites. They don't want public transportation extended out to their white neighborhoods because they would then be connected to "the kind of people" who use public transportation. These are just examples that I have witnessed first hand. Simply having a black president doesn't fix any of this.

• Fire 1

No. It is a disease, I lived through it with my dad till the day he died. I do understand where they are coming from on this issue.

• Fire 4