Nebraska's Michael Rose-Ivey receives racial backlash for anthem protest

Could Rose Ivy see the person shouting the N word from the crowd behind the bench at games in Memorial? Was it a white person (people), a black person, a hispanic, or what? The way he stated it to the media, it was every game home and away. OR did he and other asumed white person yelled it. I have heard blacks call each other that N word but the older generation disprove of it. Just wonder.

This is going to come across sharper than I intend so know I dont mean it to.

... why does it matter what color the person who said it is?

I am under the impression that it was whites yelling this at home games. Just like that black kid who got killed in florida, news media painted the person white who shot the teenager. It turmed out that he was hispanic. Then we had white people attacked during that time. Interesting that information left out veers from the truth, don't you think.

NM I did not take offense what you ask, it was a question.

Edited by NebraskaShellback

You act as though there is not an end in mind with these protests. These protests are closely tied to the Black Lives Matter movement which has a whole platform of ridiculous demands which, I will guarantee you, they would like to have laws in place that align with their demands.

No, I act as if the end in mind is for the betterment and propping up of a minority people group. Ron Brown's end in mind was legal discrimination against minority people groups. And. Again. Ron Brown is a great dude. Love him, have had plenty of conversations about him. He's absolutely allowed to do whatever he wants with no argument from me, but he presented himself as a representative of the university instead of as Ron Brown the person, the private citizen.

Do you agree with the BLM demands which is an end in mind from many of those protesting?

I didn't agree with the Black Panthers manifesto, either, a small subset of a much larger civil rights movement.

Do you agree with Donald Trump and the end he has in mind? Cause that fu&*#r is selling crap right out of the fascist handbook.

Pretty sure there are plenty of people who disagree with the BLM demands and have enough room left over in their brain to disagree with you.

You didn't answer the question. The BLM movement is driving the current protests, and to counter the last point LOMS made, there are people who are being harmed by the persistent anti-cop sentiment that is rooted in BLM and these protests. The rhetoric is so heated right now (on both sides). I have never seen more police officers being killed and targeted in my life than in the past couple years, and FBI data shows that blacks are more likely to kill cops than be killed by cops. So suggesting nobody is being harmed by these protests is misleading, as it continues the anti-cop narrative that has been pushed the past few years.

Uh. no.

Annual fatality data compiled by the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund show that there have been an average of 135 police fatalities a year under President Obama, from 2009 to 2015, compared with 162 a year for the previous seven years, from 2002 to 2008. That’s a decline of 17 percent.

http://www.factcheck.org/2016/07/killed-in-the-line-of-duty/

U.S. police have killed at least 194 black people in 2016, according to a project by The Guardian that tracks police killings in America. Keith Lamar Scott became the latest addition to the list on Tuesday after an officer in Charlotte, North Carolina, shot him dead.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/black-people-killed-by-police-america_us_577da633e4b0c590f7e7fb17

Hmm...

5. Blacks are more likely to kill cops than be killed by cops. This is according to FBI data, which also found that 40 percent of cop killers are black. According to Mac Donald, the police officer is 18.5 times more likely to be killed by a black than a cop killing an unarmed black person.

Despite the facts, the anti-police rhetoric of Black Lives Matter and their leftist sympathizers have resulted in what Mac Donald calls the "Ferguson Effect," as murders have spiked by 17 percent among the 50 biggest cities in the U.S. as a result of cops being more reluctant to police neighborhoods out of fear of being labeled as racists. Additionally, there have been over twice as many cops victimized by fatal shootings in the first three months of 2016.

Anti-police rhetoric has deadly consequences.

http://www.dailywire.com/news/7264/5-statistics-you-need-know-about-cops-killing-aaron-bandler#

False. Going to the source of their "numbers", in 2015, 258 blacks were killed by police. 123 officers were killed total.

Check your math.

258 unarmed blacks who were not trying to attack an officer were killed in 2015? That's not what I have seen on some sites.

Also, there are several other valid points in the link I provided, as well as a Post article I provided showing twice as many cops were killed in Q1, 2016 relative to Q1, 2015.

This is what you said:

5. Blacks are more likely to kill cops than be killed by cops.

False

Quit moving the goal posts.

It's not false....if you think that it makes no difference if someone attacking the police is armed makes a difference, then it's pointless to discuss this with you any further. Police Officers are here to protect our communities, and face unknown risks everyday on the job. There should never be a situation where someone that is armed should be approaching or attacking a police officer, and the definition of armed is pretty strict as the author points out as it doesn't include situations where an attacker grabs the officers gun to use it as a weapon.

Listen... If you are going to use stats to support your argument, use them correctly.

You said, and I quote, "Blacks are more likely to kill cops than be killed by cops." That is false and I gave you numbers to prove it.

I am pro-cop. I don't want them to die in the line of duty. I understand that the vast majority of cops do a great job. But lately, the times they mess up had been captured on video and are broadcast all over. This is a tiny fraction of all of the interactions that the police are involved with, but some people have died who didn't need to. Those responsible need to be held accountable. And it pisses people off that while they are being investigated, they are on paid leave.

I think CK's initial protest which (I think) was strictly about cops killing unarmed black men, was misguided. Although each time is a tragedy, it's not some national epidemic. What he did accomplish and I home what MRI's has done, is call attention to systemic racism in this country. And that is a big problem.

I feel what we as a country need to do is to work to end the cycle of poverty in our inner cities and provide better education for those growing up there. We need to create more opportunities for those less fortunate. We need to figure out how to redistribute the wealth in this country. Less going to the top 1% and more going to the bottom 50%.

I agree on your last paragraph about poverty in general, and this is an issue that has always been around and affects all races. I honestly do not believe that is the primary goal behind CK and these other protesters. I believe it's very focused on the BLM anti-cop sentiment that has been brewing the last few years and just continues to get worse. I think some are offended that protesting the national anthem for any cause is over the line, but when you add in the anti-cop BLM element to it, it makes the protest that much worse, especially given some of these athletes are pumping the black power fists instead of kneeling. Instead of bringing attention to whatever the cause is, it's created more divisions in a country that is already way too divided.

I heard rumblings a year or so ago of police officers turning their backs on President Obama just as they did on Mayor De Blasio during a funeral of fallen police officers (they were off duty so not shirking their responsibilities). The reasoning is that both men have really fueled the anti-cop sentiment in this country, and as much as I would support the idea of turning your back on the POTUS, I do feel the institution of the Presidency deserves respect and would ultimately encourage them not to do such an act. Also, I think it would only fuel more divisions in the country.

• Fire 1

The N word is a word that currently is used continuously by young black people. For me it is very offensive, no matter who says it. I play a video game, well did, but quit because of the racist comments continually being made. A greeting in the forum, would be "What up my N____r? With the N word used continuously by white and black.

But I feel MRI knows with what intentions it was lobbed at him.

I was in a gas station in Moreno Valley and two young black guys were getting gas, a young black girl pulled in. They began talking, I would guess I heard the N word more in that 15 minute period than I had heard it in the past 10 years. The word or derivative of it is not that offensive to some. I asked one of the young men, if his grandmother would approve of him saying the word, the answer was no, she would slap my mouth shut. I told him it was equally offensive to me. Nice kids, he actually apologized, they were just messin with each other.

I lived in South Carolina in 1970! Trust me things have improved tremendously since then. Black people would not walk on the side walk with white people, could not use the white rest rooms, my wife was working for Project Head Start, had KKK cards put in her purse, and we had a burning cross in our front yard. Fing N____r lover painted on our cars.

There are many sides to this, and we all, both sides need to work on it.

• Fire 2

The N word is a word that currently is used continuously by young black people. For me it is very offensive, no matter who says it. I play a video game, well did, but quit because of the racist comments continually being made. A greeting in the forum, would be "What up my N____r? With the N word used continuously by white and black.

But I feel MRI knows with what intentions it was lobbed at him.

I was in a gas station in Moreno Valley and two young black guys were getting gas, a young black girl pulled in. They began talking, I would guess I heard the N word more in that 15 minute period than I had heard it in the past 10 years. The word or derivative of it is not that offensive to some. I asked one of the young men, if his grandmother would approve of him saying the word, the answer was no, she would slap my mouth shut. I told him it was equally offensive to me. Nice kids, he actually apologized, they were just messin with each other.

I lived in South Carolina in 1970! Trust me things have improved tremendously since then. Black people would not walk on the side walk with white people, could not use the white rest rooms, my wife was working for Project Head Start, had KKK cards put in her purse, and we had a burning cross in our front yard. Fing N____r lover painted on our cars.

There are many sides to this, and we all, both sides need to work on it.

You have always a few on all sides trying to cause kaos between cultures

Ameer Abdullah questions his reception by Husker Fans

Abdullahs heart is heavy, but his mind is pretty clear: If he were still wearing a Husker uniform, he wouldve been right next to Rose-Ivey.

Most likely, yes, I wouldve kneeled, Abdullah said.

The Detroit Lions running back, who completed his college career in 2014 as Nebraskas second all-time leading rusher, shares Rose-Iveys views of the social and racial injustice that flashes into the news cycle every time an unarmed black man is killed by police. He was really, really shocked and stung by the reaction in Nebraska. Its one thing to receive threats and condemnations from Twitter trolls, Abdullah said. But from elected officials?

Abdullah, who grew up in Alabama, never encountered direct racism in Lincoln. The fan base always treated him like one of its own. But the past few days, hes questioned his bonds.

A lot of people smile at your face, they pat you on the back, but when things go down on the national scale, what are these people saying, how are they acting when theyre home alone? Abdullah said.

Judging by the responses I'm seeing in this thread, that last question is dead on.

Luckily, I think the people who smile at your face but harbor racist thoughts are in the vast minority.

its a vast minority overall but a vast majority of the people making sketchy comments would fawn all over Michael rose Ivey if he showed up to their local tavern.

For those who need info on wogs and shellbacks. Navy term

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line-crossing_ceremony

http://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=75241

http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/behind-the-strange-and-controversial-ritual-when-you-cross-the-equator-at-sea

This is before we had women included on carriers, tin cans, transport, and such of the journey beyond the equator. Now the women crossing and doing the ceremony I hear. Things change that is for sure.

Edited by NebraskaShellback

NebraskaShellback, you shouldn't be posting in this topic anymore after the sh#t you pulled the other day. IMO.

Also, what does WOG mean?

I said I was kidding and I am sorry you took it the wrong way. Good day

You claimed you were kidding. It was the most god awful "kidding" I've ever seen and in a completely inappropriate place. Sorry if your comments about whether the person saying the N word were White or Black are 10x more annoying now than they would have otherwise been.

• Fire 2

http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/behind-the-strange-and-controversial-ritual-when-you-cross-the-equator-at-sea

This is before we had women included on carriers, tin cans, transport, and such of the journey beyond the equator. Now the women crossing and doing the ceremony I hear. Things change that is for sure.

Ok. Navy term. But interesting you use it for LOMs in this thread and:

Wog is a slang word in the idiom of Australian English and British English, usually employed as an ethnic or racial slur

Wog - noun - a person who is not White

• Fire 2

^ You've asked this question about 10 times in this thread, and there's a reason nobody is taking the bait. It's misguided.

I think not, find the 10 times - get off my A$$ WOG

Get out of here.

Ok. Navy term. But interesting you use it for LOMs in this thread and:

Wog is a slang word in the idiom of Australian English and British English, usually employed as an ethnic or racial slur

Wog - noun - a person who is not White

Yep, those terms are old terms from the Enlish Navy! In the American Navy during my time dealt with wogs crossing the equator to become shellbacks. Making a case from old term before we were even born and terms do change or are not express the same way. English term of England. You would not know, ask Navy veteran what wog means for the American Navy, not the English Navy of the past.

Good day twisting people thoughts around........................

NebraskaShellback, you shouldn't be posting in this topic anymore after the sh#t you pulled the other day. IMO.

Also, what does WOG mean?

I said I was kidding and I am sorry you took it the wrong way. Good day

You claimed you were kidding. It was the most god awful "kidding" I've ever seen and in a completely inappropriate place. Sorry if your comments about whether the person saying the N word were White or Black are 10x more annoying now than they would have otherwise been.

It was about the right to burn the flag I recall. I was giving another veteran a hard time, kidding BlitzFirst. You may thought it was god awful, like most women do, thin skin. I knew what the grand jury said back in 89 and 90 about people burning the flag. And for over a decade the law makers were trying to make a bill making it illigal. You and Landlord got upset I said stay out of it. I would of let Blitzfirst know I was kidding of pretending I did not believe what the courts said. It was what I said to you and landlord that pissed both you off. We really do not know each other and on boards like these take out human contact and people can be misread of what they say and asume what the other person is like. I am what you want me to be I suppose. My experience of other cultures, I would not trade them for gold. People around this world are good people, it just those in charge I have problems with. By your leave....................................................................................................