Nebraska's Michael Rose-Ivey receives racial backlash for anthem protest

Yes, they were:

In response to their actions, he ordered Smith and Carlos suspended from the US team and banned from the Olympic Village. When the US Olympic Committee refused, Brundage threatened to ban the entire US track team. This threat led to the expulsion of the two athletes from the Games.

A spokesman for the IOC said Smith and Carlos's actions were "a deliberate and violent breach of the fundamental principles of the Olympic spirit."[3] Brundage, who was president of the United States Olympic Committee in 1936, had made no objections against Nazi salutes during the Berlin Olympics. He argued that the Nazi salute, being a national salute at the time, was acceptable in a competition of nations, while the athletes' salute was not of a nation and therefore unacceptable.

Today we look back on all this with a different light.

Another example is the Dixie Chicks. Past support for the second Iraq War is a serious liability today. At the time, this music group spoke out against it in concert and were savaged -- financially and in the court of public opinion.

Let's try to get it right in the moment, rather than in retrospect.

• Fire 1

I just skimmed through to get caught up on this conversation. I'm not going to say much more because I've enjoyed the debate but there's not a lot of anything to add to this anymore.

One last thing that I will throw in here, and sorry if its already been said but I haven't seen it.

People keep saying that they wish protests weren't so offensive. Then someone says "well that's the point, otherwise no one will listen." So applying some logic, wouldn't I be less likely to agree with the message you are trying to communicate if you start by offending me?

And don't you need the people to agree with your message as the protestor? Just informing people that you want change will not necessarily make it happen.

If you could simply express your message and people listened to you, then you wouldn't need to protest. Part of protesting is simply getting people to pay attention to your message, which most people won't do unless it's something eye-catching or provocative. So protests need to find what they can do to get that attention and get their message out. Anthem protests certainly succeed at getting attention, but as you say, we'll have to wait and see if the message gets out as well.

Are you not paying attention? In this thread a LOT of people are paying attention. They may not change their views but they are now aware that there IS an alternate view. I have been checking Husker fan forums the last couple days. Many people are listening. That IS the point. They may not change their mind right now. But they might, or at least consider the other view. This is the purpose. To get people to realize there ARE other views. It may take time, it probably will. I am ashamed to admit that I, a minority, took a good long time to come around on gay marriage. But it was forums and posts just like this that helped open my mind. Maybe this will open minds too.

An inoffensive protest is an ineffective protest. No one listens or even notices.

Not sure why you're directing this at me. I'm agreeing with you.

I meant to direct it at another poster and screwed up the quote effort somehow. I don't know how I ended up quoting you RedDenver.

I just skimmed through to get caught up on this conversation. I'm not going to say much more because I've enjoyed the debate but there's not a lot of anything to add to this anymore.

One last thing that I will throw in here, and sorry if its already been said but I haven't seen it.

People keep saying that they wish protests weren't so offensive. Then someone says "well that's the point, otherwise no one will listen." So applying some logic, wouldn't I be less likely to agree with the message you are trying to communicate if you start by offending me?

And don't you need the people to agree with your message as the protestor? Just informing people that you want change will not necessarily make it happen.

If you could simply express your message and people listened to you, then you wouldn't need to protest. Part of protesting is simply getting people to pay attention to your message, which most people won't do unless it's something eye-catching or provocative. So protests need to find what they can do to get that attention and get their message out. Anthem protests certainly succeed at getting attention, but as you say, we'll have to wait and see if the message gets out as well.

Are you not paying attention? In this thread a LOT of people are paying attention. They may not change their views but they are now aware that there IS an alternate view. I have been checking Husker fan forums the last couple days. Many people are listening. That IS the point. They may not change their mind right now. But they might, or at least consider the other view. This is the purpose. To get people to realize there ARE other views. It may take time, it probably will. I am ashamed to admit that I, a minority, took a good long time to come around on gay marriage. But it was forums and posts just like this that helped open my mind. Maybe this will open minds too.

An inoffensive protest is an ineffective protest. No one listens or even notices.

Not sure why you're directing this at me. I'm agreeing with you.

I meant to direct it at another poster and screwed up the quote effort somehow. I don't know how I ended up quoting you RedDenver.

I figured it was something like that. No worries.

People in general are just crazy. I know we all like to think it's just a small minority, but I'm not so sure in some if not many instances this is the case. With as connected as we are now, it is amazing the amount of people who receive threats on a daily basis. Any time something is deemed different, it seems there are these threats. Sometimes, it's something as simple as not doing their job as well as some deem necessary such as a defensive coordinator. It seems almost daily I read about someone usually a teenager who has committed suicide because of some type of bullying. It almost seems like every month there's another mass shooting somewhere because the shooter just finally snapped.

What I still find somewhat puzzling is why people are getting up in arms about someone kneeling for the anthem. How does it directly impact them? If they were doing what they claim everyone should be doing at that time, then how did they even notice it as the flag was nowhere near the three kneeling? Things like this sells which is why the media continues to make a much larger issue out of it than it really is. However, we have much larger problems in this country than a few people kneeling during the anthem.

Whether players kneel or stand really doesn't affect or bother me. However, I just hope they realize that for every action there is a reaction. I read an article yesterday about a high school team in Texas where several of the players have been kneeling. Normally, cops work during the games. They are now refusing to do so.

Damnit. I am trying to embed a youtube video and am not skilled enough to do so.

It should work to just cut-n-paste the url straight into the post box. You can preview it by hitting "More Reply Options." Here's a youtube video on it:

NOTE: Once in a while the "s" in https causes a problem. If that happens, just remove the "s" so it looks like http://www.youtu ... instead of https://www.youtu ...

• Fire 1

Yes, they were:

In response to their actions, he ordered Smith and Carlos suspended from the US team and banned from the Olympic Village. When the US Olympic Committee refused, Brundage threatened to ban the entire US track team. This threat led to the expulsion of the two athletes from the Games.

A spokesman for the IOC said Smith and Carlos's actions were "a deliberate and violent breach of the fundamental principles of the Olympic spirit."[3] Brundage, who was president of the United States Olympic Committee in 1936, had made no objections against Nazi salutes during the Berlin Olympics. He argued that the Nazi salute, being a national salute at the time, was acceptable in a competition of nations, while the athletes' salute was not of a nation and therefore unacceptable.

Today we look back on all this with a different light.

Another example is the Dixie Chicks. Past support for the second Iraq War is a serious liability today. At the time, this music group spoke out against it in concert and were savaged -- financially and in the court of public opinion.

Let's try to get it right in the moment, rather than in retrospect.

Um, get what right? The Dixie Chicks pooped in their own nest. First of all, they didn't even have the bravery or whatever you want to call it to speak out in a public arena here in the states. Second, they called out Toby Keith when he called them on it. Their fans responded by not going to their concerts and buying their music.

If an entertainer makes their money from sales of their art and does something their fans do not like, then they have to be prepared for the consequences. I don't think there's anything to get right or wrong here. If people are that upset that we have players kneeling and at the University for their response, then do what the fans did to the Dixie Chicks and don't go to games or buy merchandise. It's that simple.

I don't hold anything against any players kneeling for the anthem. I also don't hold anything against the police who refuse to work their games because they are kneeling. For every action, there is a reaction.

Without knowing if players our on field for national anthems at other away games, I hope we curb stomp Illinois, put up with a couple of more mentions in OWH about how the team did well not to make this a distraction, and OWH chooses to move on. While the issue being protested is a majorly important one, the OWH is continuing to fan the flames bout the kneeling, and many, including some here, are taking the bait. OWH now going to try to get Mike Rozier's opinion? Where's Andra Franklin? Can Devaney's family speak to how Bob would've felt about this? Every new article continually broadly paints the fan base and state in a worse light, even if its a vast minority that made stupid comments to the players. If it continues, the program will get a negative backlash.

I havent been paying much attention to LJS lately, so perhaps they deserve my derision also. Are NU players the only ones that knelt and/or received negative backlash? Have heard nothing about any other program.

While typing this watching rerun of today's Mike&Mike. Jeez that Cassidy Hubbarth is cute.

Um, get what right? The Dixie Chicks pooped in their own nest. First of all, they didn't even have the bravery or whatever you want to call it to speak out in a public arena here in the states. Second, they called out Toby Keith when he called them on it. Their fans responded by not going to their concerts and buying their music.

If an entertainer makes their money from sales of their art and does something their fans do not like, then they have to be prepared for the consequences. I don't think there's anything to get right or wrong here. If people are that upset that we have players kneeling and at the University for their response, then do what the fans did to the Dixie Chicks and don't go to games or buy merchandise. It's that simple.

I don't hold anything against any players kneeling for the anthem. I also don't hold anything against the police who refuse to work their games because they are kneeling. For every action, there is a reaction.

There's a suggestion there of, if you're going to protest racial inequality in this country, be prepared to suffer the just consequences of that.

Eh.

Doesn't that go with any protest? The protest is over how blacks are treated by the cops right? Most of the duties of patrolling games and such are volunteer. If the cops are offended by the protest, they have every right not to work the game.

If you protest for any reason against a group that you rely upon for protection, then you should be prepared for that group to not protect you any longer. I'm completely fine with what Colin Kaepernick is doing. However, he should also be prepared once his contract is up that he might very well be out of a job.

I don't really think it's all that uncommon for people to lose their jobs when they protest against their employer.

The suggestion here is if you're going to protest ANYTHING, be prepared to suffer the just consequences of that! Eh.

• Fire 1

Doesn't that go with any protest? The protest is over how blacks are treated by the cops right? Most of the duties of patrolling games and such are volunteer. If the cops are offended by the protest, they have every right not to work the game.

If they are truly volunteers then yes they don't have to give their time. If it's part of their regular patrol, however, then they don't have the right to not work the game. A police officer's job is to serve and protect. He doesn't get to choose who he wants to serve and protect. If the cop is not going to perform their job duty, then they should be fired. They have the right to protest, but not if it effects their ability to do their job.

Could Rose Ivy see the person shouting the N word from the crowd behind the bench at games in Memorial? Was it a white person (people), a black person, a hispanic, or what? The way he stated it to the media, it was every game home and away. OR did he and other asumed white person yelled it. I have heard blacks call each other that N word but the older generation disprove of it. Just wonder.

Edited by NebraskaShellback

Could Rose Ivy see the person shouting the N word from the crowd behind the bench at games in Memorial? Was it a white person (people), a black person, a hispanic, or what? The way he stated it to the media, it was every game home and away. OR did he and other asumed white person yelled it. I have heard blacks call each other that N word but the older generation disprove of it. Just wonder.

This is going to come across sharper than I intend so know I dont mean it to.

... why does it matter what color the person who said it is?