Nebraska's Michael Rose-Ivey receives racial backlash for anthem protest

I think Ron Brown is fair game for this discussion.

Nobody would have paid attention to Ron Brown's stand on social issues if he wasn't prominently associated with the Nebraska Cornhuskers. Michael Rose-Ivey no doubt came to the same conclusion. Both are passionate about controversial subjects, both used their UNL connection. The University is/was uncomfortable about both stances, but there's not a solid legal or ethical action to take against them. So it gets hashed out in the court of public opinion, which is where we're at.

I can see how some would feel there's hypocrisy in the responses to Brown vs. Rose-Ivey. I know it feels like the world is going to hell under some liberal agenda. But either the United States stands for all men are created equal or it doesn't. Brown & Rose-Ivey were both responding to civil rights issues. Rose-Ivey was not trying to take anyone's civil rights away. Brown was. That's the point where the two cases veer off. For me at least. I never demanded any action against Brown, nor did I think he was speaking for the University of Nebraska.

Yeah, that's what I was getting at. Whether we agree with the messages doesn't really matter.

You act as though there is not an end in mind with these protests. These protests are closely tied to the Black Lives Matter movement which has a whole platform of ridiculous demands which, I will guarantee you, they would like to have laws in place that align with their demands.

No, I act as if the end in mind is for the betterment and propping up of a minority people group. Ron Brown's end in mind was legal discrimination against minority people groups. And. Again. Ron Brown is a great dude. Love him, have had plenty of conversations about him. He's absolutely allowed to do whatever he wants with no argument from me, but he presented himself as a representative of the university instead of as Ron Brown the person, the private citizen.

Do you agree with the BLM demands which is an end in mind from many of those protesting?

I didn't agree with the Black Panthers manifesto, either, a small subset of a much larger civil rights movement.

Do you agree with Donald Trump and the end he has in mind? Cause that fu&*#r is selling crap right out of the fascist handbook.

Pretty sure there are plenty of people who disagree with the BLM demands and have enough room left over in their brain to disagree with you.

You act as though there is not an end in mind with these protests. These protests are closely tied to the Black Lives Matter movement which has a whole platform of ridiculous demands which, I will guarantee you, they would like to have laws in place that align with their demands.

No, I act as if the end in mind is for the betterment and propping up of a minority people group. Ron Brown's end in mind was legal discrimination against minority people groups. And. Again. Ron Brown is a great dude. Love him, have had plenty of conversations about him. He's absolutely allowed to do whatever he wants with no argument from me, but he presented himself as a representative of the university instead of as Ron Brown the person, the private citizen.

Do you agree with the BLM demands which is an end in mind from many of those protesting?

I didn't agree with the Black Panthers manifesto, either, a small subset of a much larger civil rights movement.

Do you agree with Donald Trump and the end he has in mind? Cause that fu&*#r is selling crap right out of the fascist handbook.

Pretty sure there are plenty of people who disagree with the BLM demands and have enough room left over in their brain to disagree with you.

You didn't answer the question. The BLM movement is driving the current protests, and to counter the last point LOMS made, there are people who are being harmed by the persistent anti-cop sentiment that is rooted in BLM and these protests. The rhetoric is so heated right now (on both sides). I have never seen more police officers being killed and targeted in my life than in the past couple years, and FBI data shows that blacks are more likely to kill cops than be killed by cops. So suggesting nobody is being harmed by these protests is misleading, as it continues the anti-cop narrative that has been pushed the past few years.

You didn't answer the question. The BLM movement is driving the current protests, and to counter the last point LOMS made, there are people who are being harmed by the persistent anti-cop sentiment that is rooted in BLM and these protests. The rhetoric is so heated right now (on both sides). I have never seen more police officers being killed and targeted in my life than in the past couple years, and FBI data shows that blacks are more likely to kill cops than be killed by cops. So suggesting nobody is being harmed by these protests is misleading, as it continues the anti-cop narrative that has been pushed the past few years.

Uh. no.

Annual fatality data compiled by the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund show that there have been an average of 135 police fatalities a year under President Obama, from 2009 to 2015, compared with 162 a year for the previous seven years, from 2002 to 2008. That’s a decline of 17 percent.

http://www.factcheck.org/2016/07/killed-in-the-line-of-duty/

U.S. police have killed at least 194 black people in 2016, according to a project by The Guardian that tracks police killings in America. Keith Lamar Scott became the latest addition to the list on Tuesday after an officer in Charlotte, North Carolina, shot him dead.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/black-people-killed-by-police-america_us_577da633e4b0c590f7e7fb17

• Fire 3

Uh. no.

Annual fatality data compiled by the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund show that there have been an average of 135 police fatalities a year under President Obama, from 2009 to 2015, compared with 162 a year for the previous seven years, from 2002 to 2008. That’s a decline of 17 percent.

U.S. police have killed at least 194 black people in 2016, according to a project by The Guardian that tracks police killings in America. Keith Lamar Scott became the latest addition to the list on Tuesday after an officer in Charlotte, North Carolina, shot him dead.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/black-people-killed-by-police-america_us_577da633e4b0c590f7e7fb17

Hmm...

5. Blacks are more likely to kill cops than be killed by cops. This is according to FBI data, which also found that 40 percent of cop killers are black. According to Mac Donald, the police officer is 18.5 times more likely to be killed by a black than a cop killing an unarmed black person.

Despite the facts, the anti-police rhetoric of Black Lives Matter and their leftist sympathizers have resulted in what Mac Donald calls the "Ferguson Effect," as murders have spiked by 17 percent among the 50 biggest cities in the U.S. as a result of cops being more reluctant to police neighborhoods out of fear of being labeled as racists. Additionally, there have been over twice as many cops victimized by fatal shootings in the first three months of 2016.

Anti-police rhetoric has deadly consequences.

http://www.dailywire.com/news/7264/5-statistics-you-need-know-about-cops-killing-aaron-bandler#

Additionally, there were TWICE AS MANY cops killed through the first quarter of 2016 than through the first quarter of 2015.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2016/04/01/virginia-state-trooper-becomes-30th-law-enforcement-officer-killed-in-2016/?utm_term=.e06ad449401c

Uh. no.

Hmm...

5. Blacks are more likely to kill cops than be killed by cops. This is according to FBI data, which also found that 40 percent of cop killers are black. According to Mac Donald, the police officer is 18.5 times more likely to be killed by a black than a cop killing an unarmed black person.

Despite the facts, the anti-police rhetoric of Black Lives Matter and their leftist sympathizers have resulted in what Mac Donald calls the "Ferguson Effect," as murders have spiked by 17 percent among the 50 biggest cities in the U.S. as a result of cops being more reluctant to police neighborhoods out of fear of being labeled as racists. Additionally, there have been over twice as many cops victimized by fatal shootings in the first three months of 2016.

http://www.dailywire.com/news/7264/5-statistics-you-need-know-about-cops-killing-aaron-bandler#

False. Going to the source of their "numbers", in 2015, 258 blacks were killed by police. 123 officers were killed total.

Check your math.

• Fire 2

Uh. no.

Hmm...

False. Going to the source of their "numbers", in 2015, 258 blacks were killed by police. 123 officers were killed total.

Check your math.

258 unarmed blacks who were not trying to attack an officer were killed in 2015? That's not what I have seen on some sites.

Also, there are several other valid points in the link I provided, as well as a Post article I provided showing twice as many cops were killed in Q1, 2016 relative to Q1, 2015.

Uh. no.

Hmm...

Check your math.

258 unarmed blacks who were not trying to attack an officer were killed in 2015? That's not what I have seen on some sites.

Also, there are several other valid points in the link I provided, as well as a Post article I provided showing twice as many cops were killed in Q1, 2016 relative to Q1, 2015.

This is what you said:

5. Blacks are more likely to kill cops than be killed by cops.

False

Quit moving the goal posts.

• Fire 1

Uh. no.

Hmm...

Check your math.

This is what you said:

5. Blacks are more likely to kill cops than be killed by cops.

False

Quit moving the goal posts.

It's not false....if you think that it makes no difference if someone attacking the police is armed makes a difference, then it's pointless to discuss this with you any further. Police Officers are here to protect our communities, and face unknown risks everyday on the job. There should never be a situation where someone that is armed should be approaching or attacking a police officer, and the definition of armed is pretty strict as the author points out as it doesn't include situations where an attacker grabs the officers gun to use it as a weapon.