Have any opinions changed about this staff?

Have opinions changed on this staff?  

160 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

You sure spend a lot of time on a Husker fan board for someone who has disassociated himself from Husker fans

Prime example, right here in thinking that "Husker fans" are the center of the Nebraska Cornhuskers, rather than the players / team / game.

Maybe I don't really care about the "Husker fans". Maybe I'm here for the football and the team that actually plays the game instead?

Really, it's not always all about you when someone says "Huskers".

That chip on your shoulder must get heavy sometimes Bow. Glad to have you as part of the community even if you hate all of us.

I doubt he hates us, he just hates the attitudes from some of the "Greatest Fans in College Football". And I can't say as I blame him because I hate some of those attitudes as well.

That chip on your shoulder must get heavy sometimes Bow. Glad to have you as part of the community even if you hate all of us.

I get embarrassed for some sometimes. That's a bit different and quite a leap for you to equate the two, but the "love us unconditionally or else you hate us." is part of the meme on which I comment.

By the way, just to get some more insight on specifics, how do you think those two guys that got into an altercation about sitting / standing should have handled it? Which, in your opinion, is the greater fan? The guy who was willing to block another guy's view all game to show his Husker spirit, or the guy who got physical to show his? Just maybe, MAYBE, neither?

BigRed, I misread the post. I took it as from the beginning. After the bowl game things have changed, but when he was hired there was a negative fire storm. Tressel was the cry for most. Hard not to have wanted him. But as I stated then, the owner of the company I sold is a huge SC supporter, and he was happy when Mike Riley left Oregon State, his comments then, something along the line of, he may not win every game, but he wins the important ones, with the benefits that Nebraska gives him, he will be a force in a couple of years.

I watched the Rodgers (spelling) brothers tear #1 and #3 USC to pieces a couple of years.

Mike Riley knew, and knows how to run the ball.

I would call myself his biggest fan on this board, as I was absolutely the top fan against the past coach, from day one. But I do not expect unrealistic performances. I expect a team to play to the best of their ability (not done last year up to Purdue), the staff to do their best. I never expect or demand championships, just the effort to win those championships. I do not think we will see, a team that does not try, that quits, that gives up. They may get beat badly by Ohio State, but I do not expect the embarrassment the past staff put on the field in nearly every important game.

I am hoping he retires here, with everyone happy that he does. I may have become a bigger Mike Riley fan than I am a Nebraska fan. He is a great person, a very good coach, and someone I would send my son to. He may not be a Nebraskan, but he represents everything good about Nebraska. That really is all I want to see. And a lot of wins. lol

But, I also remember people being positive towards him from the start. I was one of them.

Are you above "us guys" in some way, In your opinion?

Just different. I might miss things you see and see things you miss.

Does that bother you when everybody isn't alike?

Nope. I love diversity. Diversity on message boards, diversity in neighborhoods and schools, diversity in ecosystems, ect.

I'm not a huge fan of arrogance, though. Ignorance and arrogance can often go hand-in-hand. JMHO

• Fire 3

You sure spend a lot of time on a Husker fan board for someone who has disassociated himself from Husker fans

Prime example, right here in thinking that "Husker fans" are the center of the Nebraska Cornhuskers, rather than the players / team / game.

Maybe I don't really care about the "Husker fans". Maybe I'm here for the football and the team that actually plays the game instead?

Really, it's not always all about you when someone says "Huskers".

Well, you aren't talking with many players, or interacting with the team directly on this message board. You are talking with Husker fans. If you don't care about "Husker fans" why are you bothering to talk to us?

• Fire 2

In honesty there were very few of us at the start. Most felt he did not deserve the job, that SE had really screwed the pooch. I think our AD knew just how bad the culture was and looked for someone that would be accepted out side the fan base. That could calm the team, and get them to buy in. I don't think that happened as fast as all of us wanted.

I have watched Nebraska football for many years, and I think we needed someone that resembled Coach Osborne. I know Coach Osborne, have yet to meet Coach Riley, but for me there are a lot of similarities.

We need to fly right, establish that we are a player, recruit with the best of them. I think Coach Riley gives us those opportunities. I actually look forward to the sideline pan, seeing him smiling, joking with the kids, talking with the officials. Positives.

• Fire 2

I had a positive outlook from the beginning and remain positive. That's mostly due to Riley's attitude and approach, and his CEO ability. I'm glad we're seeing better results this year too. I don't think we'll go undefeated, but it's nice to have Nebraska's program respected again after the joke it had become under the former staff.

When we lost to Purdue last year I wasn't down on the staff. I felt bad for them that they had to deal with immature players who had been manipulated by the former HC, and grateful the new staff was willing to stick it out and keep a positive attitude.

• Fire 1

In honesty there were very few of us at the start. Most felt he did not deserve the job, that SE had really screwed the pooch. I think our AD knew just how bad the culture was and looked for someone that would be accepted out side the fan base. That could calm the team, and get them to buy in. I don't think that happened as fast as all of us wanted.

I have watched Nebraska football for many years, and I think we needed someone that resembled Coach Osborne. I know Coach Osborne, have yet to meet Coach Riley, but for me there are a lot of similarities.

We need to fly right, establish that we are a player, recruit with the best of them. I think Coach Riley gives us those opportunities. I actually look forward to the sideline pan, seeing him smiling, joking with the kids, talking with the officials. Positives.

I agree.

I get embarrassed for some sometimes. That's a bit different and quite a leap for you to equate the two, but the "love us unconditionally or else you hate us." is part of the meme on which I comment.

By the way, just to get some more insight on specifics, how do you think those two guys that got into an altercation about sitting / standing should have handled it? Which, in your opinion, is the greater fan? The guy who was willing to block another guy's view all game to show his Husker spirit, or the guy who got physical to show his? Just maybe, MAYBE, neither?

Man, I have no idea about two guys at the stadium last year and how they acted. I don't care who the greater fan is. I'd probably say neither as well. Your point?

• Fire 1

Bowfin is correct in some of his thoughts. This board does not represent the Nebraska fan I know, grew up with, went to games with. This board does not represent the love of the state, the program, the team. But more so the past history, the wins/losses. Most fit into two categories, the whiney, we never get respect for what we do, the media hates us, or the group that says screw them. We don't care. So far from the truth Grasshopper.

If you have a differing idea this site becomes aggressive, only the groups ideas could possibly be correct.

Bowfin is correct about some things. The greatest fans on earth, may just be those blue hairs most on here seem to hate. They gave you, me a foothold, a tradition that continues since I was a sophomore in high school. My grandfather never missed a game, at home or away. His eyes lit up when Nebraska took the field, he lived for Saturdays during the fall. Always having the tractor put away, grandma and me loaded in time to get to the game. He never knew a stranger, whether they were dressed in red, the wrong red, black and gold or purple. He welcomed everyone to the game, and hooked me on it at a very young age.

Today the greatest fans boo the other team when they take the field, that never happened. Respect for your opponent. Some even boo their own team.

I have always been so proud to be a Nebraska fan, the last 10 years really has changed that.

A lot of you have a long ways to go to be the greatest fans in college football. It is a dying breed. But as some have said on this site, the game is better at home on the big screen, where the food is cheaper, the beer is free, and the cost is minimal. Remember those old blue hairs will be there, until they can't supporting the team. The team can not hear you at home. You do little for the team. But of course you can always justify it by standing in front of them when you do actually show up, Show them your ass, their blue hairs they deserve no more.

• Fire 1

I voted for "Positive and positive" option, but I am more like "RILED UP, to Riled Up"

I had a positive look on the coaches from the outset, but I also was a little too optimistic to begin with. I was surprised by the hire, but between the details I read about him, hearing metric analysts speak about him, and the mainstream media talk about him...I became really excited.

I was expecting, how this season is going, would've been Year 1 results. I understand my view can be considered unfair expectations due to circumstances outside of the coaches' control, but they had the talent to be 3-5 wins better.

So, I am still positive about these coaches, but it's a tempered positive feeling.

Please tell me skersfan that you can see that those you speak of are the minority. Perhaps some of them are vocal on this board, although I've not yet been here a full year it's apparent to me that the majority of people here, in the stadium and around the state are of the old ilk. We were all raised that way. There are always bad apples (and sadly they tend to be loud), there have always been bad apples, they just didn't have a board to go to and post 40 years ago.

All and all I am still proud to be a Husker, I'm still proud of our fanbase and our team (win or lose). If we were spiraling into bad fandom we wouldn't still get compliments from visiting fans and broadcasters, recruits and their families about it being a great place to come experience a game.

:boxosoap Now, let's please drop the "husker fans suck" and move back to the topic.