Nebraska's ceiling

Redux

I don't get it. Why are we even going to Columbus? Our own fan base isn't giving our team a chance? f'ing CANCEL it.

This ^^^

Does anybody here believe that Navy accidentally beat Houston when all they were really trying to do was to "not embarrass themselves"?

"There is not a horse that can't be rode or a rider that can't be throwed." Whether Nebraska is the horse or the rider, how about not conceding defeat before they are even out of the chute, okay?

Navy beat Houston. Not their fans. We can be as doubtful as we feel like. I expect the team to go there with the belief they'll win.

I don't get it. Why are we even going to Columbus? Our own fan base isn't giving our team a chance? f'ing CANCEL it.

This ^^^

Does anybody here believe that Navy accidentally beat Houston when all they were really trying to do was to "not embarrass themselves"?

"There is not a horse that can't be rode or a rider that can't be throwed." Whether Nebraska is the horse or the rider, how about not conceding defeat before they are even out of the chute, okay?

Navy is better coached than Nebraska.

Wow! I didn't know that Navy was 5-0 and ranked 10th! They certainly are very well coached, aren't they? I don't think that we could beat them if we played this week. Heck, a couple of bounces go their way and they could win the conference and make the playoff! Also, can't forget their talent and recruiting the last few years. Heck, Navy even has the No. 1 overall recruit interested in them! Wow, I kinda wished I was a Navy fan right about now. A good coach and a well coached team can really accomplish a lot, don't you think?

/sarcasm.

Can you provide a link to backup that statement?

One of many: http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/gallery/best-college-football-coaches-alabama-nick-saban-jim-harbaugh-urban-meyer-080916

Also, Mavric had a link up that shows Niamalotolo carries the best wins to expected wins ratio of any coach in the country.

The caliber of Navy's coaching staff is well known to anyone who follows college football.

One of many: http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/gallery/best-college-football-coaches-alabama-nick-saban-jim-harbaugh-urban-meyer-080916

Also, Mavric had a link up that shows Niamalotolo carries the best wins to expected wins ratio of any coach in the country.

The caliber of Navy's coaching staff is well known to anyone who follows college football.

I have no doubt that Navy is a very well coached team. I do think their is a difference between coaching gung ho, very driven,highly intelligent, militarily disciplined men vs. your run of the mill 5* primadana.

Getting a group of very athletic players to play to their potential all the time is very difficult. All you have to do is look at a team like USC, UCLA, Georgia, ND or even Michigan under Brady Hoke to understand that. IMO Nick Sabin is probably the best right now at getting that high end talent to actually perform to the level that they should as a team.

I'll grant that NAVY is a hard place to win. However, they are playing in a fairly soft AAC.

Despite playing mainly on the road, AAC teams posted the following records against P-5 schools in 2015:

ACC: 6-4
B10: 1-1
B12: 1-3
P12: 0-1
SEC: 2-4

Total: 10-13

During 2015, the B10 was 12-13 against other P5 schools.

And this article from CBS Sports:

Group of Five Power Rankings: Bow before the mighty AAC

The simple point is that Navy has been an extremely well coached and as a result has consistently won more than was expected going into the games. Here's the link Mavric had shared previously:

http://www.footballstudyhall.com/2016/7/15/12200790/second-order-wins-college-football-pat-fitzgerald-kevin-wilson

This shouldn't be controversial to say that Navy's coaching staff has been more effective than Riley's staff, either at NU or at OSU.

The point is that Kelly took them-immediately-to levels they had never been. And the fact that he did it was pretty incredible simply because 3 years prior to being the new HC at Oregon, he was an OC at New Hampshire. Chip Kelly had really come out of nowhere to take a program to inarguably unseen heights. The point of this was figuring out where Oregon sits in the ranks of college football when it comes to finding their next coach. That's all. Someone else asked if kelly really took Oregon above and beyond by citing they were already solid under Belloti. And I agree. they were solid, and I wouldnt say Belloti was a failure either. But to me, there's really no comparison. Kelly did in fact take the program to a whole nother level. He himself wasnt a splash hire. So, back to my original point. If Helfrich gets outed it's gonna be interesting to me to see where Oregon stands in ranks compared to LSU, Texas, USC, etc in terms of coach hires. We may be surprised.

In 01' long before Kelly was ever on staff, Oregon was ranked #2 in both the coaches poll and AP poll. They should have played for a NC. I don't see where Kelly took them anywhere that they hadn't been. If Kelly would have had 6-10 years under his belt at Oregon where they were playing for NCs almost annually, I'd be willing to anoint him the great one at Oregon. However, his tenure there just wasn't long enough to see if he'd have continued that success. Larry Coker was 44-6 his first four years at Miami with a NC under his belt while Kelly was 46-7 without a NC. Both were OCs before being promoted to HC. Kelly needs to hang around longer than he seems to before I'm willing to put him on a pedestal.

Nebraska and Wisconsin run essentially the same system now, and Nebraska is much more talented. Nebraska should win that game.

Should. So many games in our old league we were the better team than Texas - but they got into our head and won a lopsided majority of those games. We got to get Wiscy out of our head by winning the game soundly.