Perfect Time to Discuss This Scenario

Difference being those players were ready to start. Some guys can start as Freshmen, some can't. POB isn't that guy.

and you know that how? have you been watching practice?

I know that because I've watched POB with my own eyes, met him on more than one occasion, and because despite Tanner Lee looming next year, we haven't seen POB take a snap this year. There's more than enough evidence the guy isn't a Freshman Phenom who NEEDS to see the field. If he was, he'd have played in the three games Fyfe played in.

You don't remember 1994 very well. There was a lot of talk about Brook maybe taking the starting job from Tommie before the season. When Tommie went down people were, obviously, unhappy. But there was a lot of confidence in Berringer, both in the locker room and on the street.

With Brook and Tommy we basically had two starting quarterbacks on our roster. Brook was a good enough passer that the Bronco's were planning on drafting him in the 3rd round if he was still available. Tommy was pretty incredible but Brook was just as stellar.
I remember that Brook was very good, I was at NU during those u at. But, he was a complete unknown before 1994. I don't know how people can say they are 100% confident in him when Frazier went down with blood clots in 1994. Stop having revisionist history on how people knew Brook was going to keep the NU train going that year, when he barely saw the field before 1994.

Difference being those players were ready to start. Some guys can start as Freshmen, some can't. POB isn't that guy.

and you know that how? have you been watching practice?

I know that because I've watched POB with my own eyes, met him on more than one occasion, and because despite Tanner Lee looming next year, we haven't seen POB take a snap this year. There's more than enough evidence the guy isn't a Freshman Phenom who NEEDS to see the field. If he was, he'd have played in the three games Fyfe played in.

The goal is to redshirt him so that he can reach his potential.

That doesn't mean he isn't better than Fyfe.

At this rate, O'Brien will have gotten some snaps and be RS Jr. his first season as a starter, hopefully.

If he were better, he'd be playing.

POB's trajectory may be higher than Fyfe's, but at this moment he isn't as prepared to go into games as Fyfe is.

People also need to understand that it's possible POB never takes a snap at Nebraska and transfers. Gebbia comes in next year. What if he's already developed above POB? At that point O'Brien has two guys ahead of him, one a likely two-year starter, and another poised to take the reins when that guy leaves. Smartest move in that situation is to transfer and play elsewhere.

Not saying that's going to happen or that it's even likely, but it's a possibility. We've seen it with AJ Bush and Johnny Stanton in the very recent past.

• Fire 1

If he were better, he'd be playing.

POB's trajectory may be higher than Fyfe's, but at this moment he isn't as prepared to go into games as Fyfe is.

People also need to understand that it's possible POB never takes a snap at Nebraska and transfers. Gebbia comes in next year. What if he's already developed above POB? At that point O'Brien has two guys ahead of him, one a likely two-year starter, and another poised to take the reins when that guy leaves. Smartest move in that situation is to transfer and play elsewhere.

Not saying that's going to happen or that it's even likely, but it's a possibility. We've seen it with AJ Bush and Johnny Stanton in the very recent past.

Dude, Fyfe isn't "Playing" either.

I think it's a very strong possibility that POB transfers. Lee is the front-runner to start in 2017, so unless Lee gets injured or is not very good, that's 2 more years of being a backup for POB. Most kids don't have that patience any more, especially at QB.

If POB were to transfer, we are in trouble depth wise.

I feel you are very far off on this projection.

POB committed to Nebraska knowing full and well that Terry Wilson was already commited in the same class....

I think it's a very strong possibility that POB transfers. Lee is the front-runner to start in 2017, so unless Lee gets injured or is not very good, that's 2 more years of being a backup for POB. Most kids don't have that patience any more, especially at QB.

If POB were to transfer, we are in trouble depth wise.

I feel you are very far off on this projection.

POB committed to Nebraska knowing full and well that Terry Wilson was already commited in the same class....

Yeah POB committed to NU when Wilson was in the same class, but before the coaches went after Lee and fought hard for him to get an extra year of eligibility. I could be wrong, but it's just a hunch I have. Also I don't think this transfer would happen until after the 2017 season. POB wouldn't want to sit behind Lee again in 2018 and compete with Gebbia and a couple other QBs (including dual threat QBs) in 2019

The reason Fyfe is on the depth chart over POB right now is because they clearly know Fyfe is capable of coming in on an emergency basis. For example, say Tommy goes down in the 3rd quarter and is out for the remainder of the game. Not worth burning POB's redshirt for that. However, say Tommy suffers a season-ending injury against Indiana this week. At that point, I would think they'd battle Ryker and POB to determine who is best. Only reason Ryker is 2nd string is because POB is redshirted.

I don't think the run production out of the running backs alone, without any threat of a qb run game, would be enough to carry the offense.

If Tommy went out , this offense would be done.

I miss the days of backups getting significant mop-up duty. There wouldn't be so much mystery surrounding the play of Fyfe.

So you don't think the coaches can form a game plan with our other pieces? QB play is as much a product of the other 10 guys on the field as it is the individual player himself. Will we see drop off without Tommy? Sure, but to go as far as to say this offense is "done" is a little out there. I'm pretty sure Ryker Fyfe can throw a screen pass

Form a game plan ? Yes, the coaches can definitely form a game plan.

What I'm talking about is talent. In Fyfe's last start, he threw 4 picks. I don't think he has the talent to carry this team through the tougher parts of the schedule. I don't blame the guy, he hardly has any game time experience.

My point is that it is much easier to shut down this Nebraska offense without Armstrong.

I don't think Fyfe would be able to consistently deliver the ball to any receivers and the running game would become very one dimensional.

I don't think the run production out of the running backs alone, without any threat of a qb run game, would be enough to carry the offense.

If Tommy went out , this offense would be done.

I miss the days of backups getting significant mop-up duty. There wouldn't be so much mystery surrounding the play of Fyfe.

So you don't think the coaches can form a game plan with our other pieces? QB play is as much a product of the other 10 guys on the field as it is the individual player himself. Will we see drop off without Tommy? Sure, but to go as far as to say this offense is "done" is a little out there. I'm pretty sure Ryker Fyfe can throw a screen pass
Form a game plan ? Yes, the coaches can definitely form a game plan.

What I'm talking about is talent. In Fyfe's last start, he threw 4 picks. I don't think he has the talent to carry this team through the tougher parts of the schedule. I don't blame the guy, he hardly has any game time experience.

My point is that it is much easier to shut down this Nebraska offense without Armstrong.

I don't think Fyfe would be able to consistently deliver the ball to any receivers and the running game would become very one dimensional.

yes their would be some drop off but this offense would still be effective without Tommy imo. It's a team sport and while the QB makes the offense go it's just as much about the team around the QB as anything else. Just ask the 2014 Ohio state buckeyes

To be fair, TA also had a four pick game last year and two three pick games, all throwing fewer attempts than Fyfe had. Plus Fyfe threw for significantly more yards in that one start that TA did in any of his.

• Fire 1

I'm saying, what if we are in B1G Championship hunt or Natty Hunt and POB is better?

Is it worth burning his RS? ABSOLUTELY.

If the stakes are big and POB is better, I have little doubt Mike Riley will put him in.

This is based on Mike Riley working with POB every day, recognizing QB talent far better than any of us, and having his own job on the line when making the decision.

Likewise, he won't put POB in if the young man isn't ready.

My educated guess is the latter.