Perfect Time to Discuss This Scenario

I don't think the run production out of the running backs alone, without any threat of a qb run game, would be enough to carry the offense.

If Tommy went out , this offense would be done.

I miss the days of backups getting significant mop-up duty. There wouldn't be so much mystery surrounding the play of Fyfe.

So you don't think the coaches can form a game plan with our other pieces? QB play is as much a product of the other 10 guys on the field as it is the individual player himself. Will we see drop off without Tommy? Sure, but to go as far as to say this offense is "done" is a little out there. I'm pretty sure Ryker Fyfe can throw a screen pass

I wonder if people doubted like this when the other Tommy went out with injury and another backup had to step in and carry the season so that tommy could come back guns blazing in the national championship game. This season feels familiar...

We were very confident in Brook Berringer, so not really a great comparison.

However, when Brook got hurt (collapsed lung, which he played through!), everyone was nervous as hell to start Matt Turman. Turns out that Nebraska team was good enough to beat #16 Kansas State on the strength of the O Line and LP's legs alone.

POB is not nearly ready to go. This fascination with the guy has to stop. He's got skills but he's raw. He has a long way to go before he's game-ready. We're better off going with Fyfe for the rest of the season and not throwing an unready O'Brien into the fire.

You put a guy out there who's not ready for live bullets and it can tank his career. People need to chill with the O'Brien talk.

You do know that true and redshirt freshman have played across this land and some have done quite well against us.

Difference being those players were ready to start. Some guys can start as Freshmen, some can't. POB isn't that guy.

POB is not nearly ready to go. This fascination with the guy has to stop. He's got skills but he's raw. He has a long way to go before he's game-ready. We're better off going with Fyfe for the rest of the season and not throwing an unready O'Brien into the fire.

You put a guy out there who's not ready for live bullets and it can tank his career. People need to chill with the O'Brien talk.

You do know that true and redshirt freshman have played across this land and some have done quite well against us.

You can't really compare different situations and different players to each other.

Well, I guess you can try...but it generally doesn't work all that well. Far to many variables that just don't line up.

I wonder if people doubted like this when the other Tommy went out with injury and another backup had to step in and carry the season so that tommy could come back guns blazing in the national championship game. This season feels familiar...

We were very confident in Brook Berringer, so not really a great comparison.

However, when Brook got hurt (collapsed lung, which he played through!), everyone was nervous as hell to start Matt Turman. Turns out that Nebraska team was good enough to beat #16 Kansas State on the strength of the O Line and LP's legs alone.

Difference being those players were ready to start. Some guys can start as Freshmen, some can't. POB isn't that guy.

I wasn't confident in Berringer. When Frazier went down in '94, I thought NU was screwed and the National Championship hopes were gone. I'm glad that Brook proved me wrong.

I don't think the run production out of the running backs alone, without any threat of a qb run game, would be enough to carry the offense.

If Tommy went out , this offense would be done.

I miss the days of backups getting significant mop-up duty. There wouldn't be so much mystery surrounding the play of Fyfe.

So you don't think the coaches can form a game plan with our other pieces? QB play is as much a product of the other 10 guys on the field as it is the individual player himself. Will we see drop off without Tommy? Sure, but to go as far as to say this offense is "done" is a little out there. I'm pretty sure Ryker Fyfe can throw a screen pass

Absolutely. I honestly don't get the hate against Fyfe. Because of the turnovers? Two interceptions were off the receivers hands and the bad snap was obviously not on him. Two turnovers was pretty par for the course from our QB position last year.

Now I think Langs and Riley have dedicated enough to using Tommy's legs this year that the offense would definitely lose a dimension that we didn't utilize the greatest last year. But it's not like we'd be handing the keys over to Joe Bauserman.

• Fire 1

You don't remember 1994 very well. There was a lot of talk about Brook maybe taking the starting job from Tommie before the season. When Tommie went down people were, obviously, unhappy. But there was a lot of confidence in Berringer, both in the locker room and on the street.

I remember 1994 very well, thank you, as it was my freshman year at UNL. Even if I was drunk every weekend, I remember those games like the back of my hand.

I never heard any talk about Tommie losing the starting job to Brook before the season. Maybe you have inside sources who were giving you this talk, but it's nothing I heard any reasonable fan say. Tommie had been the starter for 1 1/2 years and had just outplayed the Heisman Trophy winner in the 1994 Orange Bowl, so I don't think he was in danger of losing his job to Brook.

I know a lot of people have super fond memories of Brook, and yes, he was a good player and great person. But, Frazier was by far the better QB.

Frazier was the better college quarterback and history bore that out, but Knapp's still right. Brooke stepped in and lead the team to an undefeated season. It was by no means a no-brainer that a healthy Tommie could step back in any time he wanted. Team chemistry and a different QB skillset were in play, and there was reasonable concern that Tommie would never be fully healthy. There was certainly a healthy fan debate on the subject, though very few would have opted for Brooke straight up after Tommie delivered that first NC. But knowing Brooke Berringer was on the sidelines if Tommie went down? That was a luxury.

Big 10 Network's documentary on Berringer goes through all this.

Frazier was the better college quarterback and history bore that out, but Knapp's still right. Brooke stepped in and lead the team to an undefeated season. It was by no means a no-brainer that a healthy Tommie could step back in any time he wanted. Team chemistry and a different QB skillset were in play, and there was reasonable concern that Tommie would never be fully healthy. There was certainly a healthy fan debate on the subject, though very few would have opted for Brooke straight up after Tommie delivered that first NC. But knowing Brooke Berringer was on the sidelines if Tommie went down? That was a luxury.

Big 10 Network's documentary on Berringer goes through all this.

I'm not saying that Berringer didn't prove to be a worthy backup QB and he was very instrumental in the 1994 National Championship.

But, personally, I think it's crazy to think that people were super confident in Berringer when Tommie went down with the blood clots in 1994. I had no confidence in the guy because he hadn't played much before the 1994 season. That's my point.

You don't remember 1994 very well. There was a lot of talk about Brook maybe taking the starting job from Tommie before the season. When Tommie went down people were, obviously, unhappy. But there was a lot of confidence in Berringer, both in the locker room and on the street.

This is how I recall the situation in 1994 as well...

Are you sure you guys aren't talking about 1995? Yes, there was a lot of discussion who should end up starting in 1995 because Brook played so well in 1994, but Frazier was FIRMLY ENTRENCHED as the starting QB heading into 1994.