BTN's Mid-Season Coach of the Year/This is how you pander to a fanbase

Their three losses last year were to Iowa and Northwestern along with Alabama. Their two losses this year are to the current #2 and #3 teams in the nation, one going to overtime and the other being a one score slugfest.

Obviously too early to tell what the entire season will look like, but that's a pretty salty team playing at a really high level with a freshman quarterback and a much improved team over 2015.

After watching the OSU/Wisc game I came across pretty concerned about Wisc even more so than OSU. Wisc D will be very difficult to run against. I was surprised to see how fast they moved to the ball. Both teams will be a huge challenge - I knew OSU would be now I'm equally concerned about Wisc.

:backtotopic Even with that, congrats to MR - well deserved. Getting us back into the conversation in a good way and not a 'Bo-way' is a great thing. The change in attitude on the team, the better play of the D all speak well of the improvements made and why we are 6-0. Wisc and OSU will have a lot to say where we end the season ranked but for now, it is good being on the 'sunny side of life'.

Sure, and Tom Dienhart did not just go on a Nebraska radio station and say the Huskers are the third best team in the West at this point in the season, behind Iowa and Wisconsin. Now, he says Riley has this team in line to win the Big Ten West.

Maybe he's not a part of some conspiratorial effort to demean Nebraska. Maybe he's just bad at analyzing college football.

• Fire 1

Sure, and Tom Dienhart did not just go on a Nebraska radio station and say the Huskers are the third best team in the West at this point in the season, behind Iowa and Wisconsin. Now, he says Riley has this team in line to win the Big Ten West.

Maybe he's not a part of some conspiratorial effort to demean Nebraska. Maybe he's just bad at analyzing college football.

That is the point of this thread. Glad you noticed.

I don't know, I might be a bit worried if my coach ended up the Big 10 coach of the year. Other than Dantonio you really aren't in great company when looking at the last 20+ coaches that received the award.

I get that award is more about "doing more with less" but at some point you need to build your program into something more. This year has been a down year for Dantonio but he has built something at Michigan State. The other guys on the list, they didn't accomplish much after winning the award.

I don't know, I might be a bit worried if my coach ended up the Big 10 coach of the year. Other than Dantonio you really aren't in great company when looking at the last 20+ coaches that received the award.

I get that award is more about "doing more with less" but at some point you need to build your program into something more. This year has been a down year for Dantonio but he has built something at Michigan State. The other guys on the list, they didn't accomplish much after winning the award.

Deinhart seems to be giving Riley this year's award based on the improvement from last season, which by all accounts was a massive underachievement, and for which Riley at least deserves some blame.

So underachievement + "over-achievement" = Coach of the Year.

Deinhart seems to be giving Riley this year's award based on the improvement from last season, which by all accounts was a massive underachievement, and for which Riley at least deserves some blame.

I don't know if they underachieved all that much last year and it will be interesting to see how this year plays out.

Congrats to Coach Riley. I don't mean to take anything away from the coaching job Riley and his staff have done this year. There are numerous clear signs of progress from year 1 to year 2, and their recruiting efforts are awesome. However, I watch this clip and think, this is BTN throwing out a meaningless recognition to try and sway Husker Nation that they are for Nebraska.

Dude needs to invest in a suit that actually fits.

I don't know if they underachieved all that much last year and it will be interesting to see how this year plays out.

Losing to BYU, Illinois, Purdue, Northwestern isn't considered underachieving? F that, I'm out.

Losing to BYU, Illinois, Purdue, Northwestern isn't considered underachieving? F that, I'm out.

Transitioning from a toxic situation can be painful.

Some of you need to leave the fallout shelter and take off those gorgeous tin foil hats.

Agreed. We haven't beat anybody noteworthy or been horse stomping people so I don't know what some fans want. I'm very grateful we haven't dropped a game up to this point. I also like the fact we are flying under the radar. We get these next 2 games then $hit gets real. Media would love that and Nebraska would get all the attention they wanted.

• Fire 1

This whole thread is weird. There are really only 4 coaches to consider for this, and 3 of them don't have vast improvements in their current winning percentages from last year. That leaves Riley.

The thread was more about how garage of an analysis Tom Dienhart can be, but I will play the game for a moment. This was a recognition of Mid-season Coach of the Year, not most improved coaching job from last year. Looking at the current teams preseason, you had to like Ohio State because of recent success, but they were only bringing back 6 starters from last year. That is the lowest number of starters out of the 128 total FBS teams. The fact Urban Meyers has his young team playing at the level they are could easily warrant a nod for Coach of the Year. That is only one other factor to consider, so to say Riley is a default option is not completely accurate.

This whole thread is weird. There are really only 4 coaches to consider for this, and 3 of them don't have vast improvements in their current winning percentages from last year. That leaves Riley.

The thread was more about how garage of an analysis Tom Dienhart can be, but I will play the game for a moment. This was a recognition of Mid-season Coach of the Year, not most improved coaching job from last year. Looking at the current teams preseason, you had to like Ohio State because of recent success, but they were only bringing back 6 starters from last year. That is the lowest number of starters out of the 128 total FBS teams. The fact Urban Meyers has his young team playing at the level they are could easily warrant a nod for Coach of the Year. That is only one other factor to consider, so to say Riley is a default option is not completely accurate.

I don't think Riley is the only choice. I just don't think it's crazy to pick him. Coach of the Year awards often consider what the team was like the previous year. If they didn't, Nick Saban would win the national one almost every year.

Also, it's easy to argue OSU is more talented than Nebraska, regardless of how young the players are.