BTN's Mid-Season Coach of the Year/This is how you pander to a fanbase

This whole thread is weird. There are really only 4 coaches to consider for this, and 3 of them don't have vast improvements in their current winning percentages from last year. That leaves Riley.

The thread was more about how garage of an analysis Tom Dienhart can be, but I will play the game for a moment. This was a recognition of Mid-season Coach of the Year, not most improved coaching job from last year. Looking at the current teams preseason, you had to like Ohio State because of recent success, but they were only bringing back 6 starters from last year. That is the lowest number of starters out of the 128 total FBS teams. The fact Urban Meyers has his young team playing at the level they are could easily warrant a nod for Coach of the Year. That is only one other factor to consider, so to say Riley is a default option is not completely accurate.

OSU coaches are not allowed to win the award. Cooper and Tressel never won the award and Urban didn't win it when he went undefeated in 2012 or when he won the NC with a 3rd string QB in 2014. Cooper and Tressel are HOF coaches and I am sure Urban will be one as well when he is finished.

You win with talent and the coach is responsible for bringing the talent to the school. Just because you have more talent doesn't mean you shouldn't be the coach of the year.

I would have thought Paul Chryst would have gotten that. Wisconsin has FAR exceeded expectations.

Exactly. Unless Wiscy has a major meltdown he's (Chryst) your coach of the year this year easily especially up to now at least. Nebraska still has yet to beat someone with a pulse.

Beating bad teams even some that you lost to last year does not/shouldn't make someone a sudden candidate for 'coach of the year.'

I would have thought Paul Chryst would have gotten that. Wisconsin has FAR exceeded expectations.

Exactly. Unless Wiscy has a major meltdown he's (Chryst) your coach of the year this year easily especially up to now at least. Nebraska still has yet to beat someone with a pulse.

Beating bad teams even some that you lost to last year does not/shouldn't make someone a sudden candidate for 'coach of the year.'

It's not any Huskers' fault that all we have played this year are bad teams. That argument keeps being brought up by people who are trying to prove we aren't that good, and we should not jump to conclusions until we play teams like Wiscy and OSU. Had Chryst beaten either one of Michigan or OSU, he would get this honor. I would have picked MR too under these same circumstances.

Husker fans really need to squash this self-conscious attitude we have towards the media.

It's exactly why the national pundits laugh at us. It's funny to them and I can see why.

Do you know which fans think ESPN hates them?

Air Force

Akron

Alabama

Appalachian State

Arizona

Arizona State

Arkansas

Arkansas State

Army West Point

Auburn

Ball State

Baylor

Boise State

Boston College

Bowling Green

Buffalo

BYU

California

Fresno State

UCLA

UCF

Central Michigan

Charlotte

Cincinnati

Clemson

Colorado

Colorado State

Connecticut

Duke

Eastern Michigan

East Carolina

FIU

Florida

Florida Atlantic

Florida State

Georgia

Georgia Southern

Georgia State

Georgia Tech

Hawai'i

Houston

Idaho

Illinois

Indiana

Iowa

Iowa State

Kansas

Kansas State

Kent State

Kentucky

LSU

Louisiana Tech

Louisiana-Lafayette

Louisiana-Monroe

Louisville

Marshall

Maryland

Massachusetts

Memphis

Miami (FL)

Miami (OH)

Michigan

Michigan State

Middle Tennessee

Minnesota

Ole Miss

Mississippi State

Missouri

Navy

Nebraska

Nevada

UNLV

New Mexico

New Mexico State

North Carolina

NC State

North Texas

NIU

Northwestern

Notre Dame

Ohio

Ohio State

Oklahoma

Oklahoma State

Old Dominion

Oregon

Oregon State

Penn State

Pittsburgh

Purdue

Rice

Rutgers

San Diego State

San Jose State

South Alabama

South Carolina

South Florida

USC

SMU

Southern Miss

Stanford

Syracuse

TCU

Temple

Tennessee

Texas

Texas A&M

Texas State

Texas Tech

UTEP

UTSA

Toledo

Troy

Tulane

Tulsa

Utah

Utah State

Vanderbilt

Virginia

Virginia Tech

Wake Forest

Washington

Washington State

West Virginia

Western Kentucky

Western Michigan

Wisconsin

Wyoming

Do you know who thinks Andy Staples, Stewart Mandel, Kirk Herbstreit, Dan Wolken, Pat Forde, and all the other national writers hates them?

Air Force

Akron

Alabama

Appalachian State

Arizona

Arizona State

Arkansas

Arkansas State

Army West Point

Auburn

Ball State

Baylor

Boise State

Boston College

Bowling Green

Buffalo

BYU

California

Fresno State

UCLA

UCF

Central Michigan

Charlotte

Cincinnati

Clemson

Colorado

Colorado State

Connecticut

Duke

Eastern Michigan

East Carolina

FIU

Florida

Florida Atlantic

Florida State

Georgia

Georgia Southern

Georgia State

Georgia Tech

Hawai'i

Houston

Idaho

Illinois

Indiana

Iowa

Iowa State

Kansas

Kansas State

Kent State

Kentucky

LSU

Louisiana Tech

Louisiana-Lafayette

Louisiana-Monroe

Louisville

Marshall

Maryland

Massachusetts

Memphis

Miami (FL)

Miami (OH)

Michigan

Michigan State

Middle Tennessee

Minnesota

Ole Miss

Mississippi State

Missouri

Navy

Nebraska

Nevada

UNLV

New Mexico

New Mexico State

North Carolina

NC State

North Texas

NIU

Northwestern

Notre Dame

Ohio

Ohio State

Oklahoma

Oklahoma State

Old Dominion

Oregon

Oregon State

Penn State

Pittsburgh

Purdue

Rice

Rutgers

San Diego State

San Jose State

South Alabama

South Carolina

South Florida

USC

SMU

Southern Miss

Stanford

Syracuse

TCU

Temple

Tennessee

Texas

Texas A&M

Texas State

Texas Tech

UTEP

UTSA

Toledo

Troy

Tulane

Tulsa

Utah

Utah State

Vanderbilt

Virginia

Virginia Tech

Wake Forest

Washington

Washington State

West Virginia

Western Kentucky

Western Michigan

Wisconsin

Wyoming

Do you know who thinks CBS, Fox Sports, ABC, CBS, NBC, and any other broadcast media hates them?

Air Force

Akron

Alabama

Appalachian State

Arizona

Arizona State

Arkansas

Arkansas State

Army West Point

Auburn

Ball State

Baylor

Boise State

Boston College

Bowling Green

Buffalo

BYU

California

Fresno State

UCLA

UCF

Central Michigan

Charlotte

Cincinnati

Clemson

Colorado

Colorado State

Connecticut

Duke

Eastern Michigan

East Carolina

FIU

Florida

Florida Atlantic

Florida State

Georgia

Georgia Southern

Georgia State

Georgia Tech

Hawai'i

Houston

Idaho

Illinois

Indiana

Iowa

Iowa State

Kansas

Kansas State

Kent State

Kentucky

LSU

Louisiana Tech

Louisiana-Lafayette

Louisiana-Monroe

Louisville

Marshall

Maryland

Massachusetts

Memphis

Miami (FL)

Miami (OH)

Michigan

Michigan State

Middle Tennessee

Minnesota

Ole Miss

Mississippi State

Missouri

Navy

Nebraska

Nevada

UNLV

New Mexico

New Mexico State

North Carolina

NC State

North Texas

NIU

Northwestern

Notre Dame

Ohio

Ohio State

Oklahoma

Oklahoma State

Old Dominion

Oregon

Oregon State

Penn State

Pittsburgh

Purdue

Rice

Rutgers

San Diego State

San Jose State

South Alabama

South Carolina

South Florida

USC

SMU

Southern Miss

Stanford

Syracuse

TCU

Temple

Tennessee

Texas

Texas A&M

Texas State

Texas Tech

UTEP

UTSA

Toledo

Troy

Tulane

Tulsa

Utah

Utah State

Vanderbilt

Virginia

Virginia Tech

Wake Forest

Washington

Washington State

West Virginia

Western Kentucky

Western Michigan

Wisconsin

Wyoming

It isn't just Husker Fans. We're not overly sensitive, and the people who point out that "Husker fans need to stop thinking the media is against them" aren't dropping profound wisdom on the board.

Excellent post ! +1

I've only ever been a part of one college football fan base so sometimes I lose perspective. Even still, I tend to not really listen talking heads on any network BTN or otherwise. I watch a ton of football, I don't need more tv talk to supplant that esp. during the season.

The only time it really gets to me is when I'm forced to when one of the above does play-by-play or color commentary and my only other option is the mute button.

This whole thread is weird. There are really only 4 coaches to consider for this, and 3 of them don't have vast improvements in their current winning percentages from last year. That leaves Riley.

^^^^This. I get that Wisconsin is a good team and has done better than what most people thought with their juggernaut schedule. However, they were a pretty good team last year. We weren't exactly a good team last year. We are undefeated. The leap from last year to this year for us has been higher than Wisconsin.

^^^^This. I get that Wisconsin is a good team and has done better than what most people thought with their juggernaut schedule. However, they were a pretty good team last year. We weren't exactly a good team last year. We are undefeated. The leap from last year to this year for us has been higher than Wisconsin.

I guess people forget that last year we returned a lot of guys that went 9-3 the year prior or in Bo's last year. The talent was there last year including some pretty good talent that's now in the NFL. I get that coaching staff was new but we definitely should have faired better last year regardless. Disagree 100%.

I guess people forget that last year we returned a lot of guys that went 9-3 the year prior or in Bo's last year. The talent was there last year including some pretty good talent that's now in the NFL. I get that coaching staff was new but we definitely should have faired better last year regardless. Disagree 100%.

except minus arguable the 3 most impactful players on the 2014 roster..........

except minus arguable the 3 most impactful players on the 2014 roster..........

We still returned a slew of guys who are in the league now as well as previous starters. Maliek Collins and Vincent Valentine to name a few. We returned our starting QB -Armstrong and the core of the offensive line. Westercamp as well. There's more.

• Fire 1

Husker fans need to grow thicker skin about the media.

No kidding. So, when the BTN doesn't give any credit to NU, the Husker fans hate the BTN and the national media. Then when the BTN gives credit to Coach Riley on a great start to the season, it's viewed as pandering to Husker fans.

Where is the Captain Piccard face palm pic?

They could have a segment of Tom Dienhart literally kissing Riley's butt then building a solid gold statue of him that he would then worship as a god...and Husker fans would complain that it wasn't enough...or that the statue didn't look enough like Riley.

Many Husker fans would complain about the rope that was being used in their hanging.

You win as a team and you lose as a team. This includes both players and coaches. We lost a lot of games last year. How does that make us good? Disagree away, but we lost a lot of games last year while Wisconsin did not.