Lincoln Atheists forced to remove billboard

According to the article, the sign was an attempt to create a community for any atheists that may be interested. I have a lot of friends that are atheist or agnostic but are active in organized religion because of the events & sense of community. I can see where the non-profit's head is on this.

I'm trying to imagine what that community would entail. I picture it like a group of folks getting together and absolutely NOT talking about Alabama football.

"Hi everyone, welcome to the meeting."

A chorus of "Hi, Doris" greets her.

"Today on the agenda we have nothing. Nothing at all. But remember folks, no matter what you do or what you talk about, DO NOT talk about Alabama. No mentions of the Crimson Tide, nothing about Nick Saban, no discussion of their current or past dynasties."

"So what should we talk about, Doris?"

"I don't know and I don't care. Anything at all. Just not Alabama."

That seems like a weird community.

This got me laughing. Good one Knapp. Excellent conversation on this topic. We could go back to the discussion on how some millennials being offended by Halloween costumes and apply it here. Someone was 'offended' and complained. Well as a Christian, I'm offended that some complained about the atheist group having free speech. The next billboard to be taken down may be mine!! Political correctness can run both ways. We are all to be "our brother's keeper' in a free society even if our brother has a different belief system.

Goes back to the quote by Martin Niemoller

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Martin_Niem%C3%B6ller

Below is one of the variations of the quote.

When the Nazis came for the communists,

I remained silent;

I was not a communist.

When they locked up the social democrats,

I remained silent;

I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists,

I did not speak out;

I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for the Jews,

I remained silent;

I wasn't a Jew.

When they came for me,

there was no one left to speak out.

• Fire 1

The title of the thread should be changed from "Lincoln Atheists forced to remove billboard" to "Private business in Lincoln makes prudent business decision".

No one was "forced" to do anything.

The billboard was taken down without the consent of the people who paid for it. I stand by that description.

The title of the thread should be changed from "Lincoln Atheists forced to remove billboard" to "Private business in Lincoln makes prudent business decision".

No one was "forced" to do anything.

The billboard was taken down without the consent of the people who paid for it. I stand by that description.

I agree that it was silly to remove the sign. But in the article it mentions Lamar policy about respecting the property owner's wishes. Would it be okay to "force" a property owner to display a sign that potentially takes away business?

If that happened the thread title would be "Lincoln business forced to host billboard that drives away customers."

And that would be an apt description, too.

+1 to you, Knapp, I can see where you're coming from. I guess my point is this: all parties involved entered into a business agreement, some of them didn't fully understand potential issues (I don't want to assume who this was), and it didn't work. If the outcome of removing the sign is within the lease agreement, there is nothing wrong with it, in my opinion.

• Fire 1

There are a couple of billboards such as these on one of the busier streets in Sioux Falls for their atheist club. I've also been so confused about their purpose. How do you rally around a common non-belief? I would be more understanding if it were a Satanist club.

Non-belief?

If you think that an all-knowing God is not there to guide or punish us, and that we are responsible for our own actions and thus must assume the traditional role of "God" ourselves, that's certainly a belief. And quite a bit of fodder to talk about.

And when atheists are treated as public pariahs -- as with this incident -- they would conceivably find comfort in a like-minded community, right?

• Fire 3

A lot of people on this thread have asked why atheists have a group, why atheists want there to be more atheists, or why atheists are promoting atheism. I've wondered these same things, because one of my family members is an atheist and argues about it with other family members who believe in God. I've never actually asked why, but I've been thinking about it and have a couple possible explanations.

1. *Religion causes wars. Atheists can point to ISIS and argue this pretty easily. It is not a crazy notion at all. In promoting atheism, they could be attempting to reduce the number of people who would potentially cause wars.

2. *Religion causes harm. Many people do stupid things in the name of religion that may not cause death but they cause other problems. People shoot doctors in the name of religion, persecute the non-religious or the sinners (e.g. Gay people) in the name of religion, and use religion as an excuse for their political stances. Some also deny science in the name of religion, even science that wouldn't prove their religious texts wrong if they'd just stop and think. #1 is worse, but #2 is important too.

* - But I don't believe religion causes either of these. I think the people who do stupid/evil things in the name of religion would do the same stupid/evil things and just use a different excuse, if religion didn't exist. See Kim Jong Un and his father and grandfather. There are likely some North Koreans who really do worship them. Which makes me think it's not really possible to not have religion - without religion and knowledge of "God" we'd just worship different things/people and put them above us. I guess atheists could be calling out to those who would never put anything/anyone on a pedestal.

As a former member of a similar group, I think I can shed some light on some of the potential purposes of these types of groups.

1. Promote tolerance of atheism. Atheists are still not well received by some in this country and some of these groups work to promote tolerance and combat the negative stereotypes about atheists.

2. Promote secularism. These groups often try to help ensure that separation of church and state is honored.

3. Provide moral support. Some individuals are completely ostracized by coworkers, friends, and family over their lack of belief and these groups are probably the best equipped to provide emotional support through shared experiences.

4. Provide a community. Churches and religious groups provide a nice community for religious individuals and many atheists desire a substitute for this.

5. Moral/Philosophical discussions. Many atheists are humanists and have a desire to discuss important moral/philosophical topics in a scripture free setting.

6. Engage with those curious about atheism. Some who are on the fence about their beliefs like to explore/challenge their beliefs by engaging in discussions with atheists.

• Fire 2

Thank you Lil' Red. Excellent points and a great bit of awareness for many probably.

I think this incident is another example of a situation where an issue has brought up a reason to ask, "tell me more about this ... what is atheism ...what are you trying to do?" rather than having an immediate, visceral reaction with no real understanding of content or intent.

Many of us are brought up in a religion and don't question it. As adults some have questions and the ability (and courage) to investigate their beliefs - atheism historically has been perceived as a bad word (just like feminism) because people don't understand what it means. So LOMS & Guy I agree with your points whole heartedly as well.

• Fire 1