Running

C N Red

I've been one who has not been the biggest fan of Langsdorf due to his lack of creativity in the run game (like all of last year), but I really think we're hamstrung because of the OL.

So, that's when you would assume that Riley would go to I-Back passes into the flat and WR sideline screens, right?

We really didn't see those plays on Saturday.

Injuries plays a big part of what you are comfortable calling, but you also can't say that Langs is making final decision on the RPO all the time either. Also, Wisconsin has proven to have a solid defense against everyone they have played and were solid to react to the ball.

I've been one who has not been the biggest fan of Langsdorf due to his lack of creativity in the run game (like all of last year), but I really think we're hamstrung because of the OL.

So, that's when you would assume that Riley would go to I-Back passes into the flat and WR sideline screens, right?

We really didn't see those plays on Saturday.

On that front, I think that falls on Tommy's inability to hit those passes too. How many times has he overthrown or missed an easy throw on a screen or to the flats over the past season and a half?

Which to me means that's when you gotta get creative. I made a comment last night where I was to halftime and I had only seen one play where we utilitze pin and pull, and only one play where we utilized a wham technique. And the was the fullback out of the offset I. Has these concepts been this sparse all year? At least from my experience, when youre hamstrung up front with either a size or talent or depth disadvantage, that's the time to even moreso try to create angles and utilize those deceptions to confuse 2nd level eyes to get creases, cuz it's in those situations where you simply dont have the maulers to win mane-e-mano.

Wisconsin was pin/pulling the sh#t out of folks. Logs, down blocks, center pulls, kickouts. Trying to get and take advantage of every angle possible. But when we run the ball, it's just straight up what appears to be zone block with combos.

• Fire 2

cm husker today - "i'd like to see someone argue that wisconsin's offense is potent"

cm husker a month ago - "wisconsin's offense can be quite high octane"

cm husker today - "no i didn't mean it like that"

Chryst's offense is not potent. But, historically, Wisconsin's has been.

Is it really that hard to understand?

Which to me means that's when you gotta get creative. I made a comment last night where I was to halftime and I had only seen one play where we utilitze pin and pull, and only one play where we utilized a wham technique. And the was the fullback out of the offset I. Has these concepts been this sparse all year? At least from my experience, when youre hamstrung up front with either a size or talent or depth disadvantage, that's the time to even moreso try to create angles and utilize those deceptions to confuse 2nd level eyes to get creases, cuz it's in those situations where you simply dont have the maulers to win mane-e-mano.

Wisconsin was pin/pulling the sh#t out of folks. Logs, down blocks, center pulls, kickouts. Trying to get and take advantage of every angle possible. But when we run the ball, it's just straight up what appears to be zone block with combos.

Ha, you should listen to this.

https://soundcloud.com/liquid-shane-o/oct-31-seg-9-the-professor-aaron-semm

I just listened to that segment. Pretty good stuff. Pretty sobering, too, considering how close NU was to winning on Saturday.

• Fire 1

cm husker today - "i'd like to see someone argue that wisconsin's offense is potent"

Funny how you referred to Wisconsin's offense in the present tense as capable of being 'high octane', until someone called out your bullsh#t, followed by a convenient shift to past tense language and a distinction between Wisconsin historically and Chryst that you just pulled out of thin air.

Funny how you referred to Wisconsin's offense in the present tense as capable of being 'high octane', until someone called out your bullsh#t, followed by a convenient shift to past tense language and a distinction between Wisconsin historically and Chryst that you just pulled out of thin air.

That was two months ago, man. And it was simply a statement refuting a criticism Undone threw at a guy who simply said "I think we should have an offense founded on power running."

You're reading way way too much into it.

But if you look at anything I've said about Chryst, it's been anything but complimentary.

It's amazing that you are now trying to argue that because I said an offense could be high octane, that means I want to adopt it, even though I said in the exact same sentence that it wasn't my preferred system.

It's amazing that you are now trying to argue that because I said an offense could be high octane, that means I want to adopt it, even though I said in the exact same sentence that it wasn't my preferred system.

lol what? Where did I ever make any claim about what kind of offense you claim you want to run?

unlike your weasel-y little attempts to snake out of your previous statements, i've literally made no posts of any kind referencing your preferred offensive system. Here's my first post referencing you in any way in this thread.

I actually kind of like Langsdorf's offense. I just don't think he uses it to the Huskers' best advantage.

It really seems to me like it's more of an NFL mentality. You don't have much success running outside in the NFL because everyone is fast and tackles well. Plus the passing games are so sophisticated that teams can't stack the box. But in college it's not nearly the same story. But he seems to like to stick mostly to a straight-ahead running game and straight drop-back passing.

So I'm not at all writing him off. We'll see how things look with a different style QB - and (hopefully) a healthier line.

All that being said, it's kind of funny - to me anyway - how this argument is going down the same logic train as people who've tried to make excuses for TA.

Freshman Year - He wasn't ready and got put in a bad situation.

Sophomore Year - Beck is a terrible QB coach - if he had a REAL QB coach he would be much better

Junior Year - He's having to adjust to a new system

Senior Year - Too many injuries

So there's just always something. But it seems to me like your four-year starting quarterback should be the one helping cover for the other short-comings on the team, no always having to have excuses made for him.

But anyway, it's kind of on the same path with Langsdorf

Last year - Players adjusting to system, not the players to run his system

This year - Injuries hamstrung him

Seems like if you really had a top-notch OC, he would be adapting and adjusting better, not alwaying having to have the excuses made for him. Even the head coach fairly regularly talking about how we need to be doing things differently.

I don't think that will continue with Langs like it has for TA. But it's kind of interesting.

Considering he was the OC for those potent offenses, yes.

If you want to get hyper technical go back and look at my original post that was quoted by Undone. I said that type of system (i.e., a power run based system) can be potent. Not that Wisconsin is currently a potent offense.

And sorry, I lost track of your arguments versus Undones since you've stepped in on his behalf.

Considering he was the OC for those potent offenses, yes.

He left Wisconsin after 2011. We'd have to look back at how much control he had over the O versus how much he was reigned in.

I did this morning. I've coached youth baseball against Aaron. I know who he is. Actually quite funny once i found out who he was, I went up to him at a tourney last summer and said "hey, how's it goin professor". he got all humble about it. i really like listening to him. It's good stuff in there. but again. it doesnt really explain why we dont utilize these things as much as I think we should. it's just my opinion. Simple alignment of a DT from a 1 to a 2 tech or a DE from a 5 to a 6 tech can change the entire scheme of an OL. And when Wisconsin-as discussed in that podcast-went outside zone they were using pin/pull. When we go outside zone, we just try to beat our guy with hard lateral steps and create cutbacks if we cant, which leaves an easy fit for the backside backer. Just some thoughts of mine. Seems our run blocking is really bland. And maybe that's a result of the revolving door we got going on there. But it's more mental stuff and identifying what needs done as opposed to physical, so I would think it could be done.