This loss vs. Wisconsin is on Langsdorf...

Bo Pelini would have blown out Wisconsin last weekend for sure.

I disagree.

But since I know you were directing this at me, I have to point out how amusing it is that you can't resist misstating and overstating my opinions even when you have "ammo" in you pocket:

Pelinis huskers would have likely crushed that delapidated wisky team.

http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/81258-these-arent-bo-pelinis-cornhuskers-folks/&do=findComment&comment=1761311

Nah I wasn't referencing you.

I was just making an abstract claim based on some supporting evidence.

There is absolutely zero to evidence to suggest we surely woulda blown out Wisconsin.

L 17-48

W 30-27

L 31-70

L 24-59

These are the scores of the games Bo faced Wisconsin. And this years Wisconsin team is just as good as the rest if not better. And then factoring style of play conducive to what Bo couldnt stop and struggled with, this Wisconsin team still fits the bill

Like I said earlier, I think a lot of this has to do with the type of plays being called. Langs was doing a great job of managing TA early in the year - giving him easy throws. He's largely gone away from that the last three games.

https://twitter.com/danhoppen/status/792737178040225792

and why is that? I think hes still banged up. Ladt night ge had the one throw where he fell down cuz ge obviously had a tweek in his foot. Now his back is feeling some pain. This is the problem with the coveted running quarterback that folks started to flip on again after the oregon win. When hes not healthy enough to run effectively, whats your contingency? RPOs arent clicking cuz theres no complexity and the run isnt a legit threat. Theres was another play last night on a 3rd and short where Tommy scrambled and looked to have 5-7 yards easy but he looked so slow and the defense closed and he then ran laterally and barely got it. Im tellin ya guys. I thinks hes hurtin worse than we want to admit. And its affectin throwing mechanics as well.

If he's banged up, we should be throwing more of the easy throws, not less.

And if he's that hurt that he can't run and can't complete 40% of his passes, we should be playing someone else. The story used to be the coaching staff were idiots if they kept playing someone who was too injured to be effective. Ffye can't be that bad that he can't complete 40%.

It wasn't Fyfe's completion percentage that lost the Purdue game last year.

I agree. It was having him pass it 48 times that was the biggest contributor.

We couldn't seem to get it going on the ground that day. 77 yards on 29 attempts for a 2.7 ypc average. That just isn't cutting it. How many more times do you think we should have run it when it was working so poorly?

Maybe the biggest contributor wasn't the fact that he threw 48 times for over 400 yards, but just maybe it was his poor decisions that resulted in 4 interceptions...and wasn't the fumble credited to him as well for a total of 5 turnovers? Five turnovers will kill you dead.

Oddly enough when you lose 25 yards on a fumbled snap on a called pass play that counts against the rushing stats, it hurts the average. Plus get sacked twice, losing 18 yards. Again counting against the rushing stats.

Newby averaged 5.6 yards per carry. Cross averaged 4.9. Reilly had got 20 yards on his only jet sweep. The running game was plenty productive to move the ball. We just didn't stick with it.

And oddly enough, we don't discount sacks and fumbled snaps from the running stats of games. We averaged 2.7 ypc for the game.

So to make your point you have to use failed pass plays to try to say the running game wasn't working.

I hope you stretched before those gymnastics.

Talk about mental gymnastics.

You're really, really, stretching here. No one used failed pass plays to say the run game was working. Thats a strawman on your part.

48 pass attempts isn't why we lost the Purdue game. We lost the Purdue game because we turned the ball over 5 times, four of those were interceptions with one fumble. Fyfe's completion percentage in that game was just over 60%, so while he can certainly complete the 40% mark you set his ball security is what cost us that game. Well, that and our defense giving up 55 points. So unless Fyfe's ball security has improved by leaps and bounds there is no way he should be playing unless an injury keeps Tommy out.

Play calling was bad in OT. Thought we should have gotten the ball to Stanley around the first down marker, not the endzone. The loss is not entirely on Langs, but it is weird that when the defense has a good game the offense doesn't carry its weight. Wiscy's defense is better then OSU's but I expect the offense to improve this week because we need to be consistent on O.

Interesting question on the probability scenario. I suppose, like on any odds calculation, you have to calculate the probable outcomes - i.e., the value of taking the initial chance. If a 50/50 play has a negligible upside then you don't call it. If it has a high upside, then you do. Of course you have to include in that analysis the context of a series of plays over the course of a game.

My issue with the player blaming is that it's so often overstated. Every player leaves plays on the field. Lamar Jackson has 5 picks on the season, including some bad ones. D Watson, a heisman favorite coming into the season, has 10 picks this year.

I counted 20+ QBs that have the same number of or less passing yards per game as Armstrong and have at least as many picks through Saturday.

I disagree.

But since I know you were directing this at me, I have to point out how amusing it is that you can't resist misstating and overstating my opinions even when you have "ammo" in you pocket:

http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/81258-these-arent-bo-pelinis-cornhuskers-folks/&do=findComment&comment=1761311

There is absolutely zero to evidence to suggest we surely woulda blown out Wisconsin.

L 17-48

W 30-27

L 31-70

L 24-59

These are the scores of the games Bo faced Wisconsin. And this years Wisconsin team is just as good as the rest if not better. And then factoring style of play conducive to what Bo couldnt stop and struggled with, this Wisconsin team still fits the bill

2010 Kansas State, 2011 Ohio State, 2012 Wisconsin, 2014 Iowa ring a bell? :rolleyes:

I disagree.

L 17-48

W 30-27

L 31-70

L 24-59

2010 Kansas State, 2011 Ohio State, 2012 Wisconsin, 2014 Iowa ring a bell? :rolleyes:

The Kansas St game has absolutely nothing to do with those other three

I disagree.

L 17-48

W 30-27

L 31-70

L 24-59

You do realize Langsdorf isnt calling the right plays for Armstrong right?

I disagree.

L 17-48

W 30-27

L 31-70

L 24-59

You do realize Langsdorf isnt calling the right plays for Armstrong right?

Can you provide a link?

• Fire 2

Play calling was bad in OT. Thought we should have gotten the ball to Stanley around the first down marker, not the endzone. The loss is not entirely on Langs, but it is weird that when the defense has a good game the offense doesn't carry its weight. Wiscy's defense is better then OSU's but I expect the offense to improve this week because we need to be consistent on O.

Lots of injuries along the offensive line isn't conducive to a consistent offense. And Tommy is injured as well, an ankle I believe?

If we can get some guys healthy, we just might do ok on offense.

Against my better judgement....

Opinions can be demonstrably wrong (some people still believe the moon is made of cheese or that the earth is the center of the universe).

And that's not an abstract concept, now is it. So it has absolutely no bearing.

Even "abstract" ones should be supportable by at least some evidence. If I said "Riley is the worst coach in the history of the game," that's demonstrably wrong, even if it's an abstract opinion.

Such as our overwhelming scoring advantage in the fourth quarter this year.

My statement in that post was to prompt a defense of what insee as a pretty outlandish opinion. I wasn't saying he couldn't have that opinion though.

But you don't have any defense either. Only your opinion. Which you're entitled to. But it is maddening to insist on arguing the smallest of points in an argument that will never be won by either side because there is no right or wrong answer on an abstract concept.

Hell, I didn't even say he was empirically wrong. Just that there's no way for us to know that one way or the other.

Then don't bother arguing about it.

Do you believe that this team is mentally stronger than any since 1994?

Not really. I think you could make a pretty strong argument for the 2012 team that overcame bigger deficits to better teams. That team also had some bad losses but I would put coming out looking to be fairly unprepared against bad teams in a similar boat to playing poorly against good team with the results commensurate with the competition. Or the 2009 team that had to fight tooth and nail for 60 minutes in basically every game because we didn't have any offense.

But people really have no idea about the mental toughness of a team. They look at the results and interpret it how they want. And thus arguing about it is pointless. You can make your own case for a different team. Or why you don't think this team is that mentally tough, if that's what you think.

But you're not making your own argument in a lot of cases. You're attacking someone else's and always demanding they provide some kind of proof. Some things can't be proved. Being unable to let things go has most of the board wanting you banned for trolling. I've been one to speak in your favor because I don't think you're trolling. You have good points to make. But the way you present yourself leaves you looking like a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless steaming pile of cow dung, figuratively speaking.

• Fire 2

You do realize when Morgan gets the ball is (once again) on the QB and how he executes the play. Not the guy who called the play. That is the funny part us that while Langs isn't perfect, no play caller is, but 99% of what people on here bash him for is TA's lack of vision and unwillingness to just get first downs, he wants to make the big play, every play. Which is an admirable trait, but it doesn't work most times. If TA could have learned some patience, then the same people who are bashing Langs for his "play calling" would be giving him credit for calling a great drive. It's hard to sustain a drive when you have a QB that is only thinking end zone in OT, same thing happened last year in Miami.