What would make this a successful year?

I figured, at the season's onset, that a division win was necessary...barring major injury troubles. I don't think I was giving Wisconsin much credit, though, to be fair. I think the season's still successful if we finish the regular season with no more than two losses.

I think you were giving MSU too much credit. Most people looked at that thought it was an easy win for MSU over Wisconsin but people seemed to forget that MSU doesn't have an NFL QB anymore...they have a college statue that can't throw.

I get that this is a pet topic of yours but your assumption is incorrect. I didn't think about those kids in East Lansing at all. I simply thought Nebraska would be able to defeat all its division opponents.

Ahhh, so did I!

Anything less than a division championship for NU shouldn't be considered a successful season, that's why the loss to Wisconsin was so tough, because it was a great opportunity lost. NU still controls it's own destiny, but if there is another loss in conference, NU needs help from another team to win the B1G West.

I could see NU getting in under a number of circumstances. I think wisky loses at least one more reg season game

• Fire 1

Anything less than a division championship for NU shouldn't be considered a successful season, that's why the loss to Wisconsin was so tough, because it was a great opportunity lost. NU still controls it's own destiny, but if there is another loss in conference, NU needs help from another team to win the B1G West.

I could see NU getting in under a number of circumstances. I think wisky loses at least one more reg season game

Yes, but it still stinks having to depend on another team upsetting Wisconsin.

True statement.

Let's hope the Huskers pull off a patented Riley-esque upset in Columbus - I think the rest of the season should be fairly straight forward for the Huskers after that game.

• Fire 1

It's probably safe to say that without a national championship trophy, the coaches won't be entirely satisfied with the outcome.

For me, I hope they win out after Ohio State, and compete in that game. But I'm already happy. Have been.

I hear what you're saying, but I think that's unrealistic. Most coaches have a sense of their team's potential. They should be satisfied if a team meets that potential and extremely happy if a team exceeds it.

I remember when TO said that the '88 team (think it was '88) was the team he was in many ways the team he most proud of because he felt they performed above their level of perceived potential.

Probably splitting hairs and slightly overstating your position (because you said "entirely" satisfied) but I think it's an interesting philosophical discussion regarding the approach to mindset and messaging to your team.

• Fire 2

True statement.

Let's hope the Huskers pull off a patented Riley-esque upset in Columbus - I think the rest of the season should be fairly straight forward for the Huskers after that game.

The patented Riley-esque upset in Columbus would be meaningless, if it was followed by a Riley-esque upset loss in one of the final 3 games.

Im the type of guy that thinks expectations can be changed throughout the season. Before the year started I was thinkin 8-4/9-3 reg season. Indy doubtful, but at least in the race. Competitive in bowl. Now that we are where we are and seeing our team's resiliency, I ahve to say anything less than 10-2 and a trip to Indy is a failure. At this point, that has to be a goal. And at which point, anything's possible.

Nebraska can go 10-2 and not make the CCG.

For me, there's been qualitative improvement, if not quantifiable. Something you'd expect to see on a senior heavy team. Not very often that your top QB, RB, WR, TE, LB, and S are all seniors.

Nebraska has been and should remain a good team for the rest of the year. I would be disappointed with, but not surprised by a 9-3 finish. 9-3 was the mark set by most to begin the year IIRC, and we're on pace to hit that mark.

That said, let's kick ass in Columbus, Iowa City, and Indy, and make the CFP.

Im the type of guy that thinks expectations can be changed throughout the season. Before the year started I was thinkin 8-4/9-3 reg season. Indy doubtful, but at least in the race. Competitive in bowl. Now that we are where we are and seeing our team's resiliency, I ahve to say anything less than 10-2 and a trip to Indy is a failure. At this point, that has to be a goal. And at which point, anything's possible.

Nebraska can go 10-2 and not make the CCG.

For me, there's been qualitative improvement, if not quantifiable. Something you'd expect to see on a senior heavy team. Not very often that your top QB, RB, WR, TE, LB, and S are all seniors.

Nebraska has been and should remain a good team for the rest of the year. I would be disappointed with, but not surprised by a 9-3 finish. 9-3 was the mark set by most to begin the year IIRC, and we're on pace to hit that mark.

That said, let's kick ass in Columbus, Iowa City, and Indy, and make the CFP.

I understand that's possible. But the point is, prior to last week we had a 2 game lead in the division with an opportunity to really take hold. I think as of right now, viewing Ohio St beatable, and Minnesota, Maryland, and Iowa left anything less than a trip to Indy would be dissappointing. Failure is too strong a word. Barring a major collapse to the tune of losing these last 4 and starting to look like a total shitshow, it's hard to deem anything about this season as a pure failure anymore. Task one was repair a sh#t culture. I think that's been accomplished.