Coach Cav Free Pass?

I understand that there have been a high number of injuries to the offensive linemen this year, but why does Coach Cav seem to get a free pass from criticism by the fans?

The former o-line coach was constantly crucified by the fans, and the o-line doesn't seem to be playing much better under Coach Cav, yet I rarely see much criticism of him.

• Fire 1

The OL play before Indiana had been good to really good. The past four games, you have seen the OL play slip, along with the offensive production, but I see that as an issue of injuries and lack of depth behind the starters (neither issue you can really put on Cav given the short time he has been here). Despite a general decline in OL play recently, you still see a surge in the OL play (both in pass pro and run blocking) in the 4th quarter in every game. Nebraska has outscored their opponents 108-13 in the 4Q. While Banker's Defense gets credit for that "13", the Nebraska Offense and, as an extension, the OL get credit for the "108".

When it comes down to it, I think I give Cav credit for getting his MASH OL, built on the backs of walk-ons, to play well enough to get us to 7-1. Now, the OL deserves a good amount of the blame for the Wisky loss, and how the offense has struggled, but again, I struggle with putting blame on Cav when his best guys are injured. One question that I do have that I don't hear many ask is where is Decker, Gaylord, and Barnett? I think some may be injured as well, but why are these guys not game ready?

• Fire 2

The OL play before Indiana had been good to really good. The past four games, you have seen the OL play slip, along with the offensive production, but I see that as an issue of injuries and lack of depth behind the starters (neither issue you can really put on Cav given the short time he has been here). Despite a general decline in OL play recently, you still see a surge in the OL play (both in pass pro and run blocking) in the 4th quarter in every game. Nebraska has outscored their opponents 108-13 in the 4Q. While Banker's Defense gets credit for that "13", the Nebraska Offense and, as an extension, the OL get credit for the "108".

When it comes down to it, I think I give Cav credit for getting his MASH OL, built on the back of walk-ons, to play well enough to get us to 7-1. Now, the OL deserves a good amount of the blame for the Wisky loss, and how the offense has struggled, but again, I struggle with putting blame on Cav when his best guys are injured. One question that I do have that I don't hear many ask is where is Decker, Gaylord, and Barnett? I think some may be injured as well, but why are these guys not game ready?

Great point on these guys. I think that may be the biggest question for Cav. Why hasn't he been able to develop young guys and get ready to play? These guys are on scholarship, so I would assume they are more talented than the older walk-ons. What is going on with these guys that they aren't playing? I understand that some of that development is dependent on the players, but isn't a big portion of coaching the development of younger guys to create depth?

We're not very dynamic in our offensive line schemes. If that's because of injuries, that's one thing. If it's because kids aren't being developed, then that's another. If it's because of the OC's approach to running schemes, then I don't think it can be blamed on Cavanaugh.

Injuries or not, I have a hard time believing that we are so vanilla on the OL simply because we aren't confident in our backups' execution. By being that vanilla, we are letting DL and LBs tee off on the reads and putting our OL at a major disadvantage.

More generally, I think people are too quick to blame the OL for a lot of things. It's one of those positions where your mess ups appear amplified on TV and your great plays are rather muted.

I do know based on me watching our last game from the sky cam/end zone view, we ask a hell of a lot of our OL in terms of blocking schemes - we rarely give them an angle or numbers advantage at the point of attack.

I understand that there have been a high number of injuries to the offensive linemen this year, but why does Coach Cav seem to get a free pass from criticism by the fans?

The former o-line coach was constantly crucified by the fans, and the o-line doesn't seem to be playing much better under Coach Cav, yet I rarely see much criticism of him.

Agreed, there are some on the staff that need to go. Cav first!

I would guess that most people would agree that the OL is a position group that you would like to have a nice two deep of upperclassmen. Most guys you are going to get are going to need 2-3 years to develop, guys like Nick Gates are the exception, not the rule. Well just look at the the three scholarship recruiting classes that have been here at least 3 years. Too many transfers and guys who didn't pan out:

2012 OL recruits (2016 Seniors):

-Corey Whitaker (Been injured most of his career; Career backup)

-Paul Thurston (Started a few games after starters were injured/Transferred to Colorado St. before the season)

2013 OL recruits (2016 RS Juniors/TR Seniors)

-Dwayne Johnson (Nothing.)-

-Chongo Kondolo (JUCO; graduated last year)

-Matt Finnin (JUCO; transferred last year)

-David Knevel (First year starter in 2016)

-Zach Hannon (Nothing.)

So those are the Juniors and Seniors.......1 starter and 1 backup out of the group. Taking only 2 Offensive Linemen in 2012 has turned out to be a failure, though it would be nice to have Thurston. The 2013 class, outside of Knevel, can pretty much be chalked up as a failure. Just my opinion, but we should be taking 4 high school OL in each class.

2014 OL recruits (2016 RS Sophomores/TR Juniors):

-Nick Gates (Stud / 2 year starter)

-Jerald Foster (Out for the season / Would be a starter)

-Tanner Farmer (1st year starter - Will likely be out for an extended period of time)

• Fire 4

When it comes down to it, I think I give Cav credit for getting his MASH OL, built on the back of walk-ons, to play well enough to get us to 7-1. Now, the OL deserves a good amount of the blame for the Wisky loss, and how the offense has struggled, but again, I struggle with putting blame on Cav when his best guys are injured. One question that I do have that I don't hear many ask is where is Decker, Gaylord, and Barnett? I think some may be injured as well, but why are these guys not game ready?

Great point on these guys. I think that may be the biggest question for Cav. Why hasn't he been able to develop young guys and get ready to play? These guys are on scholarship, so I would assume they are more talented than the older walk-ons. What is going on with these guys that they aren't playing? I understand that some of that development is dependent on the players, but isn't a big portion of coaching the development of younger guys to create depth?

They are freshmen... who have not faced DL the size and physique of a college DL... the one area on the field where this change is most drastic from high school to college...

Not only that, they also learn a playbook just like everyone else... and when a RB or a WR doesn't figure the playbook out in the 2 months before fall camp, we don't wonder why Keith Williams can't "develop young guys" better...

So those are the Juniors and Seniors.......1 starter and 1 backup out of the group. Taking only 2 Offensive Linemen in 2012 has turned out to be a failure, though it would be nice to have Thurston. The 2013 class, outside of Knevel, can pretty much be chalked up as a failure. Just my opinion, but we should be taking 4 high school OL in each class.

2014 OL recruits (2016 RS Sophomores/TR Juniors):

-Nick Gates (Stud / 2 year starter)

-Jerald Foster (Out for the season / Would be a starter)

-Tanner Farmer (1st year starter - Will likely be out for an extended period of time)

So next year could be:

Nick Gates

Jerald Foster

Inexperienced Center, but Decker would hopefully fit...

Tanner Farmer

David Knevel

I'll give Coach Cav credit for the direction the line seems to be heading. That is a decent looking group and there is a lot of potential on the way along with this past year's class.