Reality check

For all those who think our talent sucks, how do you propose that NU bump its recruiting so significantly?

sign Foster Sarrell
Hiring recruiting minded coaches and drop a special teams coach. Aka not Banker, Read, Langs is okay, Davis is average. We need guys all around the board who are getting good recruits. I think they should fire Read and give that spot to Thompson.

Reality is we have a patchwork OL and a young inexperienced DL. You can play guys like Decker and Barnett, but when they struggle too, who are we going to blame?

We have no true offensive playmaker. Yeah we have a deep WR core, but who is a dynamic mismatch that a DB has no chance with? Let alone a QB who could even get the ball to them more than 50% success rate? It was salt to the wound to see potential legacy player Joe Burrow out there, the guy Beck and Bo slow played and looked over for a kid playing TE at North Texas now. Add him to the list of Darlington and Stanton, and that makes 3 QBs they recruited who didn't play their senior seasons of football and never snapped a meaningful down following their injury.

Running back by committee...no one is singing praises of our running backs, we don't have guys like Ameer or Rex who could makeup for a crappy OL and make things happen for themselves when nothing is there.

Like I mentioned in a status update, it pains me to see DL abandon the run so easily and not be creative with the passing game to find high percentage plays. It's not coincidence both TA and Fyfe huck it deep on 3rd and 3 over and over again. That's on DL not coaching these guys up nor dialing the right play. What is up with the dropped passes too? Help your QB out for cripes sake.

The defense couldn't do anything, Barrett had a clean pocket all night long. LockdownU can be put to bed, yikes. The front 7 not being able to get to Barrett is going to make a long night for the DBs, but for the "NFL" potential players, step up and make a play.

OSU flexed its muscle and showed off its speed, to which Nebraska couldn't hang with 1s vs 1s even. Coaches didn't get the players up for this game and players couldn't get themselves up for this game. All around embarrassing rock bottom of a game for this year, and hopefully a wake up call for the rest of the way. This was the toughest back to back test this team has ever faced. Preseason I would have expected a blowout, not like this though. After last week, I expected to see them compete and hang in there. The game was nailed in the coffin when TA got hurt, some looked checked out of the game.

The season isn't lost and the program will bounce back, just get back to work and finish off the schedule strong, there is still a lot to prove.

Our Oline is going to get significantly better over the next few years. Alot of talented young bucks at that position group that aren't quite ready yet. When they are, I reckon we will see a noticeable improvement. Get a guy like Foster Sarrell in here and we really accelerate the proccess. If this was year 4 for HCMR it would be a sign to consider looking for a new coach. But right now we are really in the middle of a rebuilding project with a championship goal

Do you mean like Michigan or Osu better get serious dude. Get off the kool aide! what makes you think those O-line prospects are that kind of good? and if they were even close do you honestly honestly think Mr. Cavanaugh is going to be the guy that is gonna get the job done! We are a FREAKIN ALSO RAN!!! and unless something radically changes we will still be having these same conversations five yrs. from now!!!!!
We are going to be alot better than now and that will give us a chance. Be pessimistic if you want to but I don't think it's drinking the kool-aid to say out oline will only improve from here, and I would say we will improve significantly over what we have now. Alot of that is because our line is playing pretty bad right now. If we could get consistently tough play and smart play from our Oline we can compete with those teams, we just have a few weak links on the line right now. Gates was pretty good last night so to think we can't get guys good enough is just plain wrong because we have one starting right now.

Dude better get alot more like him and btw he prob wouldn't start for USU so there is that.

We have guys like that red shirted. We are in on the number 1 offensive lineman in the nation. OSU would start Gates, he outplayed their LT. And even if they wouldn't he is still the closest thing we have to that level available. I don't understand why you are dogging our young OL talent so hard. Let's give them a chance first

I am not but what in the world makes you think they are the high quality we need, seriously are you saying they will be, do you have some inside info.

Last night was simply the perfect storm of:

Poor coaching

No depth

No player development

Recruiting misses

Injuries (every team has them and can minimize with the above)

We just got a mud hole stomped in us and walked dry.....on national tv again. Needs to be some soul searching from top to bottom. No position would be safe. To include staff and players.........Riley needs to evaluate it all.

Thought we could win last night. Never thought we'd be beat like that......

For all those who think our talent sucks, how do you propose that NU bump its recruiting so significantly?

sign Foster Sarrell
Hiring recruiting minded coaches and drop a special teams coach. Aka not Banker, Read, Langs is okay, Davis is average. We need guys all around the board who are getting good recruits. I think they should fire Read and give that spot to Thompson.

"Recruiting minded" guys like John Blake?

No thanks.

Our Oline is going to get significantly better over the next few years. Alot of talented young bucks at that position group that aren't quite ready yet. When they are, I reckon we will see a noticeable improvement. Get a guy like Foster Sarrell in here and we really accelerate the proccess. If this was year 4 for HCMR it would be a sign to consider looking for a new coach. But right now we are really in the middle of a rebuilding project with a championship goal

Do you mean like Michigan or Osu better get serious dude. Get off the kool aide! what makes you think those O-line prospects are that kind of good? and if they were even close do you honestly honestly think Mr. Cavanaugh is going to be the guy that is gonna get the job done! We are a FREAKIN ALSO RAN!!! and unless something radically changes we will still be having these same conversations five yrs. from now!!!!!
We are going to be alot better than now and that will give us a chance. Be pessimistic if you want to but I don't think it's drinking the kool-aid to say out oline will only improve from here, and I would say we will improve significantly over what we have now. Alot of that is because our line is playing pretty bad right now. If we could get consistently tough play and smart play from our Oline we can compete with those teams, we just have a few weak links on the line right now. Gates was pretty good last night so to think we can't get guys good enough is just plain wrong because we have one starting right now.

Dude better get alot more like him and btw he prob wouldn't start for USU so there is that.

We have guys like that red shirted. We are in on the number 1 offensive lineman in the nation. OSU would start Gates, he outplayed their LT. And even if they wouldn't he is still the closest thing we have to that level available. I don't understand why you are dogging our young OL talent so hard. Let's give them a chance first

I am not but what in the world makes you think they are the high quality we need, seriously are you saying they will be, do you have some inside info.
nope just faith in them because I love this team. They were also pretty touted recruits, so until they prove otherwise I'm going to believe they will turn out to be solid players.

nope just faith in them because I love this team. They were also pretty touted recruits, so until they prove otherwise I'm going to believe they will turn out to be solid players.

I love this team too, I am ready to do whatever it takes to be relevant again, it is sickening.

Ok this is not to sound mean spirited but it is time to face the music. The difference between the athletes and the coaching at places like OSU and us is considerable.They were bigger stronger more athletic at just about every position on the field.We will whine about the tackling being bad but that is mostly just a bi-product of the other team being quicker and stronger, you can work on it till the cows come home but if the guy you are trying to tackle is considerably quicker than you, it is going to be tough. Now be brutally honest ,look at out O line and D line, 2 areas that are a real good indicator of the success you will have against the upper echelon teams. Project out 3-4 yrs. do you see any reason to think we will be able to compete in games like this! It takes great players and coaches with a vision and passion to get the kind of players we need here. We will be the 3-5 best team in this conference unless something drastically changes. I will continue to cheer and holler and scream like I have for 50 yrs, but it is time to face the music.

Considering the season they had last year, and the season they're having this here, I'd say we're seeing considerable progress and success. They had one bad night. Deal with it.

One bad night. Nope. This was one of the worst performances by a Nebraska football team in its long and illustrious history. There is no excusing the millions spent on facilities, paying off contracts for fired coaches while making contracts for new coaches when a top 10 team loses by the score of 62-3. There is no defending this, just as there was no defending 70-10, 70-31, or 408.

This is not only a black eye to the team, but a black eye in our program's history. It was not one bad night. It was THE WORST NIGHT.

• Fire 1

Ok this is not to sound mean spirited but it is time to face the music. The difference between the athletes and the coaching at places like OSU and us is considerable.They were bigger stronger more athletic at just about every position on the field.We will whine about the tackling being bad but that is mostly just a bi-product of the other team being quicker and stronger, you can work on it till the cows come home but if the guy you are trying to tackle is considerably quicker than you, it is going to be tough. Now be brutally honest ,look at out O line and D line, 2 areas that are a real good indicator of the success you will have against the upper echelon teams. Project out 3-4 yrs. do you see any reason to think we will be able to compete in games like this! It takes great players and coaches with a vision and passion to get the kind of players we need here. We will be the 3-5 best team in this conference unless something drastically changes. I will continue to cheer and holler and scream like I have for 50 yrs, but it is time to face the music.

I don't know all the sites to find this stuff, but taking all of the emotion out of the equation, I'd like to see a diagram that shows the "star" rankings of our O-line on one side and the "star" ranking of their D-line right across. The same for the opposite...the stars for our D-line and their O-line. Bad coaching is bad coaching, but having significantly superior jimmies and joes makes good coaching a lot easier I'd think.

The thing that scares me is that we have made the argument "we have young guys ready to come up in a few years" more than a few times in the past.

Do we really believe that our young guys are on par with the young guys that Michigan, OSU, etc. are grooming?

If so, great, we should be ready to, at the very least, stay with these upper tier teams. But it seems like we havent had the lines to compete since we had Suh on one side of the ball.

We're still playing JV ball. Maybe some of us actually thought we had gotten to the point of being on par with OSU, but that's on you for such a dumb notion. We had gotten to the point where we could play them tough, because it's college football, and teams can play up or down to their competition, but they still outclass us talent and depth wise by a landslide, they devote way more money and commitment to nothing but the best absolute best coaching (Tim Beck sucks, am I rite?), and they came out with something to prove after going through the motions the last few weeks.

The only things we have on par with Ohio State right now are a big stadium, a nice locker room and impressive history.

Considering the season they had last year, and the season they're having this here, I'd say we're seeing considerable progress and success. They had one bad night. Deal with it.

Yeah, it might be that. It might also be regression to the mean, because let's face it, I haven't seen this team play THAT much better than last year on the field. They've just been significantly luckier scoring-wise... And every decent team we've played we've lost to. The difference is that last year we lost to even crappy teams. Only time will tell which this is.

Every decent team we've played? Wasn't it Illinois that has at least 2 and maybe 3 future NFL D-Linemen?

Holy crapsticks! We lose a game we ALL thought we'd lose, and the future of Husker football is one of mediocrity and lameness. Seriously people? We're 10-3 in our last 13 games going back to last year.

We aren't doing poorly, we just lost to a team that has far more talent than we do.

I think Nebraska will close the gap in the coming years. Most of last night NU played a walk-on at LG, C, RT, DE, and QB. These aren't walk-ons that were just really good and rose through the ranks like Spencer Long, they are playing bc we don't have anybody better currently. This is possibly the least talented Husker OL in my lifetime.

Whether or not we can get to a point where we consistently win these games is another matter.

Yeah, it might be that. It might also be regression to the mean, because let's face it, I haven't seen this team play THAT much better than last year on the field. They've just been significantly luckier scoring-wise... And every decent team we've played we've lost to. The difference is that last year we lost to even crappy teams. Only time will tell which this is.

Every decent team we've played? Wasn't it Illinois that has at least 2 and maybe 3 future NFL D-Linemen?

Holy crapsticks! We lose a game we ALL thought we'd lose, and the future of Husker football is one of mediocrity and lameness. Seriously people? We're 10-3 in our last 13 games going back to last year.

We aren't doing poorly, we just lost to a team that has far more talent than we do.

Yes, everyone thought we would lose to tOSU. But not by 59. Look who the Huskers have beaten this season.

Fresno State - 1-9 #118

Wyoming 7-2 #76

Oregon 3-6 #50

Northwestern 4-5 #46

Illinois 3-6 #81

Indiana 5-4 #71

Purdue 3-6 #96

To save you from the math, that means the average team we've beaten is ranked #70 or higher and their average win-loss % is 0.46.

So yes, we haven't beaten any decent team. To me a decent team has to be in at least the top 30. Every decent team we played we gotten beaten by and obviously we got destroyed by tOSU.

Reversion to the mean... look it up.... explains a lot...

• Fire 2